Dungeons & Dragons has 15 Million Players in NA Alone; Storyline Is "The Da Vinci Code meets Gangs o

Interesting. The following tidbit has me excited about the new storyline: “The Stream of Many Eyes” ... story — which will be revealed on June 1 — was described by one D&D staffer as 'The Da Vinci Code meets Gangs of New York.'”

Interesting. The following tidbit has me excited about the new storyline:

“The Stream of Many Eyes” ... story — which will be revealed on June 1 — was described by one D&D staffer as 'The Da Vinci Code meets Gangs of New York.'”

Coroc

Hero
Please can we divide this into two different threads, i went through 13 pages mainly discussing boring (to me) sales and Population statistics, with three interesting Posts on the Content and what gangs of new York / da Vinci code means!

Jhaelen

First Post
Hobby leader: The hobby's doing well! Here are a few general numbers!

Most rational people in that hobby: Cool! Let's talk about what that means!

Message board posters: Prove it, you damn liars! You can't possibly know anything, and even if you could, you obviously don't, because you didn't provide your entire financial history! I am very smart!

It's really getting tiresome, and it kills enthusiasm for actually discussing the topic.
Well, allow me to remind you of this:
George Orwell said:
It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grammes a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grammes a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it. Parsons swallowed it easily, with the stupidity of an animal.
It _is_ the smart thing to question the numbers that get thrown at you.

jasper

Rotten DM
I always figured a good way to do it would be to ask “have you ever rolled a d20?” on a popular cereal packet. Although you’d need to know it was a representative brand of cereal!
Mom mom mom Morrus got the purple D20 from the Strawberry Puffs.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Well, allow me to remind you of this:

It _is_ the smart thing to question the numbers that get thrown at you.

It is indeed wise to cultivate a healthy skepticism but much of the questioning in this thread hasn't been a healthy skepticism, it's well past that. Of course, this is the Internet.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It is indeed wise to cultivate a healthy skepticism but much of the questioning in this thread hasn't been a healthy skepticism, it's well past that. Of course, this is the Internet.

Indeed. A healthy skepticism of important things. Applying that energy to something as inconsequential as this is the opposite of “important”.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Indeed. A healthy skepticism of important things. Applying that energy to something as inconsequential as this is the opposite of “important”.
Well, granting for a moment that the minor market research claims that WotC made to this reporter are worthy of hard skepticism, what would be their motivation to mislead? Who benefits, and how? The only benefit they stand to make with inflating these numbers would be with potential business partners attracted by the potential market of players. These potential partners would doubtless require access to hard data before handing over cash. So, they would only benefit if they could back up their claims with hard data, this removing any motivation to be dishonest.

They certainly aren't saying these things to excite or impression people on message boards.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, granting for a moment that the minor market research claims that WotC made to this reporter are worthy of hard skepticism, what would be their motivation to mislead?
To build buzz and enthusiasm around the brand and maybe create a blip in the mainstream news cycle. And, it's hardly 'mislead' in the sense of dishonesty, just presenting in the best light - 'spin' at worst.

Remove ads

Remove ads