Dungeons & Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness (2011)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As Ian Malcom would say:

"Oohh, Aahh, that's how all of this starts, but then later there's the running and screaming..."

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
< speculation >
I think they came up with the idea of using the Book of Vile Darkness after reading the script. Before the readthrough it was the Necronomicron... but then the producer said "That script was vile."
< /speculation >

I remember being lightly entertained by the second movie (although it was apparently completely forgettable, since I can't remember anything about it beyond this vague impression). This is written by the same guy. I'll at least give it a viewing.

The first movie was a "fantasy" movie. There were leaps and bounds in believability and actions / outcomes of characters.

The second movie was a "DnD" movie. There were clear class distinctions, clear creature distinctions and a lot of DnD adventures mentioned and hinted at. I hope the third one is the same- I really appreciated hearing about Plume Mountain and the such. It made it more "real" as a DnD gamer to me.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Yeah, I read that too. Not sure if that bodes good or bad for the quality of the movie...or if it's completely inconsequential.

It could simply be that the movies haven't done that well in the past, and with the current economy and environment for movies, going the SyFy original movie route and then straight to DVD/BluRay might be the most effective course.

Honestly though, I'm expecting quality on a par with The Librarian movies (on TNT). I'm not going to get my hopes up over it...but I'll watch it anyways (even moreso now, since it will be on TV).

Last edited:

tajlund

First Post
Just came across this site while looking for info on this movie. I feel megamania hit it dead on. I loved D&D:WODK, as a gamer I was geeking out at the fact that all the characters had clearly recognizable character classes and they even gave a good representation of the skills. Hope this one is done with the same respect as the first one.

Remove ads