Dungeons?

In a typical campaign, what percentage of encounters take place in a dungeon/cavern environment?

• Poll closed .

adamc

First Post
I picked an answer (21-30%), but honestly, there is no answer. Portions of my campaign have featured dungeons/caverns (which are not the same) prominently, and other portions have not used them at all. Depends on the nature of the campaign, the campaign world you are describing, etc.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Very hard to say. A haunted castle aboveground can look feel and function, while in play, just the same as an underground dungeon. A pocket of air deep underwater can function like a cavern...but isn't. And so on.

I'm trying to think of a suggestion for a different way to ask this, but not coming up with much. You might go:
--- % indoor
--- % outdoor
--- % other (e.g. a different plane where indoors and outdoors are effectively the same)

Or, perhaps expand a bit:

--- % aboveground, indoors
--- % aboveground, outdoors (includes airborne encounters where ground is present)
--- % underground, constructed dungeon
--- % underground, natural caverns or similar
--- % underwater
--- % other (e.g. a place where there is no ground such as elemental plane of air)

Otherwise, I'll guess at an answer to the poll and give it but it's a shot in the dark.

Lan-"if I roll natural 20 on that shot in the dark, do I get a cookie?"-efan

Elf Witch

First Post
I voted 0 to 10 percent because my players don't really like dungeon crawls. It may be a little more depending on the game but they are brief and usually take no more than one or two sessions.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
In my previous campaign, probably 2 out of 3. "Dungeon" also meaning haunted mansions, abandoned sewer systems, etc.

My current campaign has seen more wilderness action, but that's mainly because they've so far spent most of game time buggering about the map.

Kinak

First Post
I take "typical" here to mean "not Adventure Path." I tend towards basically no dungeons, but Adventure Paths tend to have a liberal sprinkling.

Cheers!
Kinak

Storminator

First Post
I put down 41-50. My PCs are goblins, so the first few adventures were securing their cave environment - all dungeons. Then they raided rival clans - all dungeons. Then they moved to Sharn and had a series of urban adventures, probably half of which were indoor, and qualified for dungeon at least in spirit.

Since then they've been spending time in the wilderness, raiding and capturing airships, and starting wars. One could argue that the hijinks in the museum was "dungeonesque", but that was only a fraction of one session.

I anticipate that as they level up limited option dungeon environments will become less prominent.

PS

Remove ads