• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarf Rogue Tactic

Grimgrin

First Post
A Dwarf Rogue doesn't work well with any of the current rogue tactics. This is my attempt to create a HB rogue tactic that plays to high dwarven constitution scores. What do you think?

Taproom Tough
You are the veteran of many bare knuckle back alley brawls and know how to absorb unexpected blows. You can use "unarmed attacks" and "improvised weapons" with all your Rogue Melee Powers and with your Sneak Attack. In addition, you gain Damage Resistance equal to your CONSTITUTION modifier against opportunity attacks.

Last edited:

Camelot

Adventurer
Very interesting, it looks good! I'd add that when you use an unarmed attack, you get some bonuses (like the brawler fighter), just for balance reasons. Otherwise, cool concept!

Now, of course, dwarves make just as good rogues with the option of Strength in Essentials...but maybe I shouldn't have gone there. ;)

Grimgrin

First Post
Very interesting, it looks good! I'd add that when you use an unarmed attack, you get some bonuses (like the brawler fighter), just for balance reasons. Otherwise, cool concept!

Now, of course, dwarves make just as good rogues with the option of Strength in Essentials...but maybe I shouldn't have gone there. ;)

Essenstials is a bit of a can of worms for me.

How about "Tap Room Tough"? I thought a rogue dwarf would have multiple advantages in a tavern enviroment:
- The +5 Poison ST bonus would help resist alcohol poisoning/drunkeness.
- The +2 Endurance bonus is great for festival skill challenges such as arm wrestling, competative eating/drinking, marathon dancing, humanoid pyramids, etc.
- The "Stand Your Ground" seems especially appropriate for wild free wheeling bar fights

circadianwolf

First Post
Yes, in order for this to be of any use you need better unarmed attacks, both in base weapon (e.g. like the monk's unarmed attack) and enhancement bonus (e.g. like the brawler's unarmed attack).

If you make it a +3 prof/1d8 damage off-hand weapon with integrated scaling enhancement bonus that would probably be worth the loss of Artful Dodger/Brutal Scoundrel/Cunning Sneak (all of which are better than the DR to OAs).

Grimgrin

First Post
Yes, in order for this to be of any use you need better unarmed attacks, both in base weapon (e.g. like the monk's unarmed attack) and enhancement bonus (e.g. like the brawler's unarmed attack).

If you make it a +3 prof/1d8 damage off-hand weapon with integrated scaling enhancement bonus that would probably be worth the loss of Artful Dodger/Brutal Scoundrel/Cunning Sneak (all of which are better than the DR to OAs).

It seems to be the general consensus that Tap Room Tough is is too weak and needs strike bonuses and enhancements for viable unarmed/improvised attacks, so I added more scaling factors to it.

Taproom Tough (v.2)

You are the veteran of many bare knuckle backalley brawls and know how to absorb unexpected blows. You can use "unarmed attacks" and "improvised weapons" with all your Rogue Melee Powers and with your Sneak Attack. Your unarmed attacks are have a +3 Proficency Bonus, inflict 1d4 damage, and possess the Off-Hand property. You also gain a +1 "enhancement" bonus with unarmed and improvised weapon attacks, which increases to +3 at 11th level and +5 at 21st level. Against attacks of opportunity, you have Damage Resistance equal to your CON Modifer plus one half your experience level. A Tap Room Tough can take "Arena Training" (Dark Sun) instead of the traditional "Rogue Weapon Talent".

Last edited:

Remove ads