• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarven Defender who polymorphed into a Hill Giant?

kinem

Adventurer
DS, it's clear that the player had no inkling that it might be a problem. So if you thought it would be a problem, you should have mentioned that before you let him complete the action, because his character would have known. Since you did not, the only decent thing to do as a DM would be to not make a problem out of it.

glass

(he, him)
kinem said:
DS, it's clear that the player had no inkling that it might be a problem. So if you thought it would be a problem, you should have mentioned that before you let him complete the action, because his character would have known. Since you did not, the only decent thing to do as a DM would be to not make a problem out of it.
What he (or she) said.

glass.

John Cooper

Explorer
I agree with kinem and glass, and would even go so far as to retroactively change his polymorphing into a hill giant to having polymorphed into a hill giant-sized dwarf, so that when he was "supersized" he was still a valid representative of the dwarven culture and all.

JustKim

First Post
If you're going to give a dwarf a polymorphing rod with the stipulation that it only be used to transform into creatures approved by a council of dwarves, you may as well throw the damn thing in a volcano.

I definitely agree that the DM's responsibility is to caution the player against what might be a character-ruining set of actions. Springing a loss of 8 levels of class features on someone for utilitarian usage of a polymorphing rod is poor form.

And as an aside, what are you doing punishing the players for powergaming? You said that you inherited these characters, and it's clear they were having high-powered fun with them previously. If you aren't comfortable with continuing a game like that, ask them to make new characters and start a new game. Don't jump on board the Vow of Poverty boat midstream and try and steer it for.. uh.. proper roleplaying island. You know what I'm trying to say.

I side with the 'no penalty' crowd...

May I suggest a retcon that keeps the flavour of the dwarven defender and allows the player to still have all that polymorph goodies and fit into the roleplaying aspect that you and others appear to expects?

The Rod's poly ability is unique and only works on Dwarves. Use the PHB alternate Wildshape options and allow size changes up to Huge. His physical appearance would still remain dwarven, the Rod's power is cut back just...and the player can have the joy of wielding a Huge Dwarven Warhammer against the foes of his race... :)

And I agree with JustKim.. if you don't feel you can run this group of higher powered characters, perhaps its better to start a new campaign than risk breaking up the group.

DethStryke

Explorer
JustKim said:
If you're going to give a dwarf a polymorphing rod with the stipulation that it only be used to transform into creatures approved by a council of dwarves, you may as well throw the damn thing in a volcano.

If I were the one who gave him the rod, I would agree with you in the absolute - If you read my initial post again, however, you'll see that I did not give him this rod at all. In fact, it was cooked up by a previous DM who was known to be... how should I say... heavy-handed in his rewards and challenges. The kind of kid that usually ends up with the name Monty.

JustKim said:
I definitely agree that the DM's responsibility is to caution the player against what might be a character-ruining set of actions. Springing a loss of 8 levels of class features on someone for utilitarian usage of a polymorphing rod is poor form.
Exactly my predicament - I don't want to sping anything on him. However, I was finding it difficult to consider a fitting punishment for such a crime (said with tongue firmly in cheek, as it were), which is why I posed the question to EN World.

JustKim said:
And as an aside, what are you doing punishing the players for powergaming? You said that you inherited these characters, and it's clear they were having high-powered fun with them previously. If you aren't comfortable with continuing a game like that, ask them to make new characters and start a new game. Don't jump on board the Vow of Poverty boat midstream and try and steer it for.. uh.. proper roleplaying island. You know what I'm trying to say.
Indeed I do - and it shows especially that there was something I should have mentioned. I apologize, as it probably would have made that much clearer: I was asked specifically to do just that. The group had gotten a bit out of hand (at 11th level, they ended up against a Marilith, to give you perspective. Check the DMG as to what the designers think about the Experience awards for one of those things with 11th level characters). I'm commisioned to bring the boat around and to finish out these characters before starting anew.

However, they have gotten away with many questionable actions. If they are to survive the challenges ahead, I need to instill some fear into them - no one takes anything seriously because even against things like a Marilith, no one died previously. I am absolutely about creating a story and having the PCs be the heroes, but if that fear isn't there I don't think the game will really deliver the punch they have specifically asked me to deliver. If you know you're going to beat everything without a question, where is the fun?

All that being said, I thought about it today and talked with a few friends not related to the game before I saw anything after my last post above, and I have already decided that doing nothing as far as a game penalty is the answer. If I really need to mock him, there is another dwarf in the party (a cohort of the human paladin - no, I didn't do that either) who can pick up that slack. :)

Thank you, and everyone else, for taking the time this christmas to consider this question with me!

Happy Holidays!

Last edited:

DethStryke

Explorer
Primitive Screwhead said:
And I agree with JustKim.. if you don't feel you can run this group of higher powered characters, perhaps its better to start a new campaign than risk breaking up the group.

I'm up to the challenge of DMing them, but I was really of two minds on this question when I posted it and so I felt I should air it out and see if anyone had a particuarly clever idea on how to run with it. I'm not above "borrowing" a bit of offered brilliance. ;)

We had stopped for the night just as he cast the spell, so I had the chance to go absolutely any route I wanted to. The answer, of course, is to do nothing - I probably won't even mock him myself. I do think the players are going to do that, though. They are a bit racist when it comes to dwarves... :)

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I proably wouldn't impose any mechanical penalties.
But I think he would loose respect amongst other dwarves. Dwarves are a prideful race, bound with a strong sense of tradition and duty.

To them arguing the ends justify the means would not cut it. Polymorphing into a hated foe to win a battle is simple wrong, better to die.

Rackhir

Explorer
DethStryke said:
I need to instill some fear into them - no one takes anything seriously because even against things like a Marilith, no one died previously.

You might want to recheck your tactics if you couldn't threaten the party with a Marilith. I was able to seriously harrass and threaten a pair of absolutely broken 18th lv characters with all sorts of broken magic items, with a stock Marilith. When I added in a couple of greater stone golems, I came literally within 1 hp of a TPK, despite adding an 18th lv druid to the pair.

Greater Teleport at will + Blade Barrier at will makes for a very difficult to deal with combo. Since you can just teleport away when ever they get close and it doesn't sound like this is a very ranged combat capable group.

Remove ads