• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarves + axes... why?

Odhanan

Adventurer
Aliment? Don't come a word I don't know very often. From the context it was pretty obvious what you meant.

I'm French-speaking, and meant feed the forge by it. I guess it's not an English verb. I thought it was! :eek:

rgard

Adventurer
Rev. Jesse said:
I've always found the Dwavish / Viking link to be suspect. Afterall:
1.) Vikings were feral raiders, Dwarves are mostly lawful
2.) Vikings were well know for their seamanship, Dwarves hate water

There are better cultural links to follow for Dwarves. Consider that there are historical examples of European people who live underground, are bitter and ill-mannered, and drink a lot.

Obviously, Dwarves are French!
(or maybe Scottish)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1849406,00.html

rgard

Adventurer
Rev. Jesse said:

There are better cultural links to follow for Dwarves. Consider that there are historical examples of European people who live underground, are bitter and ill-mannered, and drink a lot.

Obviously, Dwarves are French!
(or maybe Scottish)

More proof the Dwarves are French. Dwarves don't use deodorant.

kenobi65

First Post
Rev. Jesse said:

Fair points, but as several posters have noted, the archetypical fantasy dwarf's roots are in Tolkien, who himself clearly drew from Teutonic and Norse myths.

Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Partially it's the Tolkien influence, I suspect. But it's also a reflection that axes and hammers seem more about force than finesse, which suits the Dwarven archetype.
Ironically, the dwarves in Tolkien that we saw were always armed with either swords or mattocks, never axes.

I think it's the association that both dwarves and battle-axes with a Nordic influence.

Rev. Jesse said:
1. Vikings were not feral, and Tolkien's dwarves have nothing whatsoever to do with D&D alignments.
2. What dwarves hate water, other than in D&D fiction?

Hitokiri

First Post
Odhanan said:
I'm French-speaking, and meant feed the forge by it. I guess it's not an English verb. I thought it was! :eek:

no, it's an english verb. But it sure isn't one I've seen used before. Had to hit up merriam websters to see exactly wahat it meant (although context basically told me).

Thanks for the new word. *yoink*

kenobi65

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
2. What dwarves hate water, other than in D&D fiction?

I think there was a dozen or so that developed a phobia after the party's halfling rogue smuggled them out of a dungeon in floating barrels. ;)

radferth

First Post
Pre 3rd ed, dwarves were size S creatures with short legs and arms. I always figured they could get more power with weapons that have most of the weight concentrated at the end (axes, hammers, picks, maces). Of course in 3rd ed they are size M creatures with ape-like arm proportions, so that would no longer apply. Since the dwarves are long-lived, and like to forge weapons, it seems to me most dwarven warriors would have several weapons. Outsiders would notice the battle axe or warhammer, since that is the weapon they can't sheath, while various hand axes, swords, daggers and such will go largely unnoticed by casual observers.

Remove ads