• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General E. Gary Gygax auction Nov 2023

It's definitely one of those "what were they thinking" movie scripts. I'd love to read the whole thing start to finish; maybe it's better in totality rather than excerpt, but I doubt it.

I think it's hard now to see the Schwarzenegger movies through the lend of someone who had read Conan for decades prior to it's release, but..much as I would say it I'd pretty good movie, it is a pretty big departure from Howard's characterization and style.

Even though Conan the Barbarian is one of my favorite movies, yeah, it takes a loose hand with the source material, taking inspiration from but not directly adapting (as have pretty much all of the adaptations since). I'm not sure what a faithful adaptation of Conan would've looked like in 1982.

Yup. The 1977 animated Hobbit and Conan the Barbarian are definite poster children for movies which diverge from the source material in ways which were kind of infuriating for purist fans lacking perspective (as I have been, at times) but are surprisingly good in their own right.

Today I can be disappointed by the abridgements in the 1977 Hobbit and still scratch my head at its weird portrayal of elves, while recognizing that it is generally quite faithful and uses some of the best dialogue, that the animation is generally excellent, and that the casting and voice acting is absolutely stellar (Orson Bean, John Huston, Richard Boone(!), John Stephenson...).

To this day, when I read LOTR/The Hobbit, if I'm not purposefully trying to hear a different voice, it's John Huston that speaks when Gandalf does.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Even though Conan the Barbarian is one of my favorite movies, yeah, it takes a loose hand with the source material, taking inspiration from but not directly adapting (as have pretty much all of the adaptations since). I'm not sure what a faithful adaptation of Conan would've looked like in 1982.
In contrast, the 2011 Jason Momoa Conan movie tried to be more faithful to the source material. At least inasfar is the source material is Savage Sword of Conan, not just the original stories, though with at least a couple of references to the original stories (I remember them name-checking The Tower of the Elephant, for example). But it's just not a good movie.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, a really faithful adaptation would be pretty wildly out of style in 1982: Howard reads like watching a black and white film. A faithful adaptation might be more "American" feeling, and feel more like a classical Western than a Italian Sword & Sandal flick.

Conan the Destroyer isn't a particularly great movie, but I've always found it interesting that it is a pivot from the peculiarities of the first movie into being more of a D&D film.

MGibster

Legend
I rather like metal minis. But yeah if assembly is required they can be a real pain depending on the specific mold.
I bid on the War Mammoth of the Undead Legion made by Grenadier miniatures in 1984. I honestly don't know if I would have ever gotten around to assembling it let alone painting it. The prospect of pinning and fixing gaps isn't something I look forward to, so I'm glad I've been outbid. As I suspected, most of the other boxed sets are a bit more than I'm willing to pay. Conan minis would be way cool, but I'm not paying $100+ for it. I hope whoever wins is very happy with it.

Remove ads