• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6: The Game Inside D&D (with PDFs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, playing E8 and only allowing the 4th level slots to be used for metamagic. Would it shaft spellcasters? Would it shaft full BAB'ers, as 3/4' now will end up with two attacks?

Opinions?

knight_isa

First Post
Druid is okay, since they get Large wildshape.

For the other full spellcasters, though, unless they're metamagic junkies it makes the last level or two much less desireable. If you use the E6 version of Extra Spell I think you'd see a lot of full-caster-6/something-else-2. If you use the Complete version, that'd probably change to 7/1 (so the feat would still grant 3rd level spells).

I'm not sure about the 3/4 BABers getting the 2nd attack. I imagine that would have to be playtested.

Hierax

First Post
Sorcica said:
So, playing E8 and only allowing the 4th level slots to be used for metamagic. Would it shaft spellcasters? Would it shaft full BAB'ers, as 3/4' now will end up with two attacks? Opinions?
Simple, if with E8 the 3/4 bonus attackers getting the 2nd attack at 8th level is the problem, go with E7 and you get 4th level Spells but only the Fighter (and fighter-ish) classes get the 2nd attack.

knight_isa

First Post
Just because I'm pondering the relative benefits of E6 vs. E8, what sorts of feats should be allowed in terms of the "lean upwards" approach in E6? This is less of an issue for E8, since if I took that path I'd make 8th a hard cap, and stick with existing feats.

These are some class abilities that are gained at 7th and 8th levels that, AFAIK, can't be duplicated with existing feats:
* DR 1/- (Brb)
* Inspire Courage +2 (Brd)
* Wild Shape-Large (Drd)
* GWF (Ftr)
* Wholeness of Body (Mnk)
* Higher-level spell slot (2nd for Pal/Rgr, 3rd for Brd, 4th for Clr/Dru/Sor/Wiz)
* Woodland Stride (Rgr)
* Swift Tracker (Rgr)
* +1d6 SA (Rog)
* Improved Uncanny Dodge (Rog)
* Improvements to Animal Companion/Familiar

I've seen some suggestions for some of these. Should all of these be made into feats, in one way or another? Are there some that shouldn't?

knight_isa

First Post
Hierax said:
Simple, if with E8 the 3/4 bonus attackers getting the 2nd attack at 8th level is the problem, go with E7 and you get 4th level Spells but only the Fighter (and fighter-ish) classes get the 2nd attack.

Of course no one would ever take Fighter-7 in E7, and you'd still have to change GWF and Improved Crit if you wanted to allow them.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I'd like to make another plug for Eex, which requires exponentially more xp to advance. You start at 3rd and advance at 5K (4th), 10K (5th), 20K (6th), 40K (7th), etc. You get a feat at 5K intervals between advancing.

This means you have substantially more time at 6th level than in a standard campaign (20,000 xp instead of 6,000 xp) but when it stars to chafe you will be able to get to 7th and, eventually, to 8th. I don't think class balance will fall apart in those two levels, and the fact that advancement is possible will keep people's multiclassing choices more natural.

In a way it will be like playing E6 for a while, then trying out E7 and, eventually, E8.

I really don't know if the 4th level spells need extra controls. Is the transition between 6th and 7th level really such a big deal?

Khuxan

First Post
knight_isa said:
Just because I'm pondering the relative benefits of E6 vs. E8, what sorts of feats should be allowed in terms of the "lean upwards" approach in E6? This is less of an issue for E8, since if I took that path I'd make 8th a hard cap, and stick with existing feats.

These are some class abilities that are gained at 7th and 8th levels that, AFAIK, can't be duplicated with existing feats:
* DR 1/- (Brb)
* Inspire Courage +2 (Brd)
* Wild Shape-Large (Drd)
* GWF (Ftr)
* Wholeness of Body (Mnk)
* Higher-level spell slot (2nd for Pal/Rgr, 3rd for Brd, 4th for Clr/Dru/Sor/Wiz)
* Woodland Stride (Rgr)
* Swift Tracker (Rgr)
* +1d6 SA (Rog)
* Improved Uncanny Dodge (Rog)
* Improvements to Animal Companion/Familiar

I've seen some suggestions for some of these. Should all of these be made into feats, in one way or another? Are there some that shouldn't?

These all look appropriate for feats, with the exception of Large wild shape (which rycanada has included in limited form) and the higher-level spell slots.

EDIT:
Sorcica said:
Now, I want to look at some defensive feats, that is, feats that relates to armor and shields.
I remember the AEG book 'Mercenaries' had a few in this regard.

I've not read them yet, but Five Element Games has just released The Art of Defence and the Art of Defence II as free downloads, and they seem to be what you're looking for: http://www.5egames.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page2.html

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Hey Khuxan - I like the centaurs you made up (and I REALLY like how OGC it is). Is their holy site 1 central place for all tribes, or does each tribe have its own holy place?

Khuxan

First Post
rycanada said:
Hey Khuxan - I like the centaurs you made up (and I REALLY like how OGC it is). Is their holy site 1 central place for all tribes, or does each tribe have its own holy place?

I based it off what I could remember of the pre-Islamic tribes of Arabia. Mecca featured the Kaaba, which collected 360 idols of the tribes. As I understand it, the tribes that settled down and occupied Mecca used it to house their idols, but other tribes that shared gods with the settled tribes also considered it sacred.
In my campaign, some tribes will consider the Talaquin an abomination which cages deities, while others will want to claim it for themselves to show their loyalty to the gods.

EDIT: Also, your sig still links to the old E6 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads