• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6: The Game Inside D&D (with PDFs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragonblade275 said:
Also, it needed another pre-req because of adding the damage bonus. Clumbsy warriors wouldn't be able to pull off what it takes to get the extra edge in combat that this feat chain provides. Honestly, it probably should have an Intelligence pre-req, too, that matches the Dexterity requirement at each level.
Heh - still not convinced. What you're doing now is rewarding characters with good ability scores, giving them access to a overpowered feat other characters with lesser ability scores (and thus already at a disadvantage) can't take. In a way, the new requirements will make the feat even more unbalancing, since those who already have (high stats), gain more.

I'm fine with the feat being available to other than fighters. I just think that splitting it up in to hit and damage and setting a limit on the number of times the feat can be taken is the way to go.
Anyway, I think we may have threadjacked enough ;)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
GlassEye said:
Can you give a reason? Other than that it was the last level the character took? I'm not very content with this answer because the concept of class skills vs. cross-class skills breaks down in this situation when the feat is gained without advancing a level in a class.

Good point. After level 6, I'd probably just have the class skills of all your classes treated as class skills. It's hardly gamebreaking.

Thaedrus

First Post
Class Skill List

I think that giving all skills for all your classes after 6th would be the way to go. Having cross class skills is a way of saying, "You have dedicated all of you time to advancing the skills of this class since you last leveled. You are unable to advance other skills as much."
Making a character only able to advance the skills of the class of the last level taken is saying that a character can never refocus their efforts, and is stagnant. This seems to be the antithesis of E6. E6 promotes continuous broadening of skillsets, with an aknowledgement of what is absolutely (demi)humanly possible.
And as was previously stated, it would not at all be game breaking.

Ry

Explorer
I will rewrite the Open Mind feat for E6 with that errata (superset of your classes' class skills).

Ry

Explorer
Rogue Special Ability
Prerequisite: Rogue 6
Benefit: Choose 1 Rogue Special Ability. You gain that ability. This feat can only be gained once.

Morrius

First Post
Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster, so pardon me if this has already been answered.

How do you handle Raise Dead? It's one of the most well-known spells in D&D, and one of the most sought after and useful. Unfortunately, it's also 5th level. How do you deal with raising a dead character in E6?

GlassEye

Adventurer
Dragonblade275 said:
I see your point. In my view, all the feats that are gained after 6th level are part of that level. Therefore, any skill points gained from feats after 6th level would be distributed among the class and cross-class skills of whatever class was taken at sixth level.

There is a solution, though. Another feat based on one in Unearthed Arcana that I've adapted for E6:
IMPROVED SKILL KNOWLEDGE [General]
You gain access to new knowledge and abilities.
Benefit: Choose any one cross-class skill (whether you already know it or not) and learn it, treating it as a class skill from that point forward.
Special: If you are a multiclassed character, instead of choosing one cross-class skill, you may choose two class skills from one or more of your previous class skill list(s) (whether you already know it or not) and learn it, treating both skills as a class skill from that point forward.
You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new skill or skills.​
So, there is a feat to make a cross-class skill a class skill. And, the same feat allows a multi-class character to treat two skills that were class skills of a previous class as though they were class skills for the class of the most recent level.
I like this but I'll probably end up taking the easy way out and just consider all previous class skills as class skills after level 6.

Ry

Explorer
Morrius said:
Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster, so pardon me if this has already been answered.

How do you handle Raise Dead? It's one of the most well-known spells in D&D, and one of the most sought after and useful. Unfortunately, it's also 5th level. How do you deal with raising a dead character in E6?

Hi Morrius! Check out my Raising the Stakes pdf, particularly the Death Flag. The idea is that in E6, death is death (no coming back). But the Death Flag mechanic lets the players decide when their character is on the line (and give them an incentive to do so). That way, although death is permanent, players aren't at the mercy of the DM and the dice.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Morrius said:

A couple of ways -- first, Ryan's Death Flag rules means that characters tend to only die in climactic scenes, so raising isn't as necessary.

Second, if you want to have death-raising an integral part of the plot, rather using a spell, you use an incantation: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm

Rather than being just another spell, raising the dead with an incantation makes it a plot element with a chance of failure.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Morrius said:

Personally, I think I'll use Incantations from UA to recreate those select higher level spells that I want to include in my campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads