• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6: The Game Inside D&D (with PDFs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragonblade275 said:
Epic Prowess would be perfect for a character that was a legendary archer or a swordsman of renown.

Here's how I'd word it. I'd change the name and make it a feat chain so as to avoid someone getting a +57 to hit. Basically, I wouldn't want to see a feat like this be able to be taken multiple times.

[SBLOCK]MARTIAL PROWESS [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Base Attack Bonus +4
Benefit: Gain a +1 bonus on all attack and damage rolls. This bonus stacks with other bonuses on attack and damage rolls.
Special: A fighter may select Martial Prowess as one of his fighter bonus feats.

IMPROVED MARTIAL PROWESS [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 15, Base Attack Bonus +5, Martial Prowess
Benefit: Gain a +1 bonus on all attack and damage rolls. This bonus stacks with other bonuses on attack and damage rolls.
Special: A fighter may select Improved Martial Prowess as one of his fighter bonus feats.

GREATER MARTIAL PROWESS [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 17, Base Attack Bonus +6, Improved Martial Prowess, Martial Prowess
Special: A fighter may select Greater Martial Prowess as one of his fighter bonus feats.[/SBLOCK]

That's beautiful! It caps progression, gives fighters their intended edge and the fact that it works with damage too is golden. Thanks man.

Ry

Explorer
(From 101 More Feats, which I will be putting in the section 15 of the E6 OGL)
Skill Beyond Your Years
Prerequisite: Level 6
Pick a skill. Your max ranks rise from Level+3 to Level +5.

(Mine)
Mighty Wild Shape
Prerequisite: Druid level 6
Choose 1 Large animal. You can wildshape into that animal.

Ry

Explorer
Also (not for the pdf because the warlock is closed)

Improved Extra Invocation
Prerequisites: Extra Invocation
Benefit: You gain a new invocation of the best type you can cast.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times, but you cannot take this feat more times than you have taken Extra Invocation.

TheCrazyMuffinMan said:
That's beautiful! It caps progression, gives fighters their intended edge and the fact that it works with damage too is golden. Thanks man.
I find it less beautiful. Why on Earth is there a Dex requirement? It only penalizes non Dex fighters for absolutely no reason. If you want to boost fighters, let the feat have a Fighter level 6 requirement and let it be possible to take the feat X times, X being whatever the DM will allow in his E6 campaign.

Plus, adding a damage bonus makes the feat better than Epic Prowess! Creat a similar feat as above, but let it affect damage.

Dragonblade275

First Post
RE: E6 & The Massive Damage Threshold

[sblock]
kaomera said:
You could consider them, but you're just making the game a lot more deadly. One of the sets of rules that E6 removes is the various high-level save-or-die spells. Lowering the massive damage threshold by any significant amount could lead to a lot of saves...

Of course if you want that kind / level of "gritty", then go for it.

Kunimatyu said:
Nah -- massive damage is unnecessary in E6, and isn't that well designed in the D&D3.5 RAW, for that matter.
[/sblock]Thanks, Kaomera and Kunimatyu. I started thinking about various variants that I'd like to try (like Taint from Heroes of Horror and Sanity from Unearthed Arcana or Call of Cthulhu d20).

I'm definitely going to try using Taint. I'll probably try Sanity, also.

As to the Massive Damage Threshold... I was considering using the Constitution plus HD plus size variant similar to how it's presented in Unearthed Arcana.

The Massive Damage Threshold would be equal to:
Constitution
+/- 5 for each size category away from medium (small would be -5 and large would be +5)
+2 per Hit Die.​

The Fortitude DC would be:
15 plus 1 per 5 points of damage dealt over the character's Massive Damage Threshold.​

Also, I'm thinking about changing death from -10 to the negative amount of the character's Massive Damage Threshold.
Example: A 6th level human fighter with a 16 Constitution would have a Massive Damage Threshold of 27 and would not be dead until reaching -28 Hit Points. A 6th level halfling rogue with a 16 Constitution would have a Massive Damage Threshold of 23 and be dead at -23 hit points (due to being size Small).​
It's a little more gritty, but also more survivable than having death at a fixed -10.

Sorcica said:
I find it less beautiful. Why on Earth is there a Dex requirement? It only penalizes non Dex fighters for absolutely no reason. If you want to boost fighters, let the feat have a Fighter level 6 requirement and let it be possible to take the feat X times, X being whatever the DM will allow in his E6 campaign.

Plus, adding a damage bonus makes the feat better than Epic Prowess! Creat a similar feat as above, but let it affect damage.

+6 BAB (to allow rangers and other full attack classes this feat), Str requirements at the same values the Dex ones were, and unlimited stacking wouldn't be a bad idea either. I guess it depends largely on what Ryan ultimately decides on.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
FYI, The E6 pdf has the feat Expanded Spell Knowledge in it twice. It looks like one is an earlier version and the other a revised/clarified version.

Dragonblade275

First Post
RE: E6 Martial Prowess Feat Chain

TheCrazyMuffinMan said:
Glad you like it, TCMM.
Sorcica said:
I find it less beautiful. Why on Earth is there a Dex requirement? It only penalizes non Dex fighters for absolutely no reason.
My reasoning was that the archetypical heroes that I had in mind as those that might have had this feat were all quite dextrous. Also, it needed another pre-req because of adding the damage bonus. Clumbsy warriors wouldn't be able to pull off what it takes to get the extra edge in combat that this feat chain provides. Honestly, it probably should have an Intelligence pre-req, too, that matches the Dexterity requirement at each level.
Sorcica said:
If you want to boost fighters, let the feat have a Fighter level 6 requirement and let it be possible to take the feat X times, X being whatever the DM will allow in his E6 campaign.
Each individual GM may houserule as he or she pleases. However, I didn't want this feat to be only limited to Fighters. I envisioned rogues and rangers possibly taking this feat chain, too.
Sorcica said:
Indeed, adding the damage bonus does make it better than Epic Prowess, except for the fact that Epic Prowess can be taken over and over again, without limit. Hence the Dexterity (and, now, Intelligence requirements).

Here's the revised version:
[SBLOCK]MARTIAL PROWESS [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 11, Intelligence 11, Base Attack Bonus +4
Special: A fighter may select Martial Prowess as one of his fighter bonus feats.

IMPROVED MARTIAL PROWESS [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Intelligence 13, Base Attack Bonus +5, Martial Prowess
Special: A fighter may select Improved Martial Prowess as one of his fighter bonus feats.

GREATER MARTIAL PROWESS [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 15, Intelligence 15, Base Attack Bonus +6, Improved Martial Prowess, Martial Prowess
Special: A fighter may select Greater Martial Prowess as one of his fighter bonus feats.[/SBLOCK]I agree that the Martial Prowess feat chain would be too powerful without the Dexterity and Intelligence reequirements. However, I did decrease the Dexterity pre-req's by 2 points each because of adding the Intelligence pre-req's.

Dragonblade275

First Post
RE: E6 Martial Prowess Feat Chain

TheCrazyMuffinMan said:
+6 BAB (to allow rangers and other full attack classes this feat), Str requirements at the same values the Dex ones were, and unlimited stacking wouldn't be a bad idea either. I guess it depends largely on what Ryan ultimately decides on.
I wanted to stay away from Strength as a requirement because a high Strength score already provides a similar attack and damage bonus with melee weapons. For me, this feat chain is for those that are cunning and dextrous. Not just the strong and possibly clumsy. Warriors of martial prowess rely on technique, precision, cunning and speed more than raw strength to achieve their extra edge.

I could see substituting the Intelligence pre-req for Wisdom, too.

HeinorNY

First Post
What about this feat from Conan d20?

Diehard (General)
You can endure wounds that would drop another man.
Prerequisite: Endurance.
Benefit: When reduced to between –1 and –9 hit points, you
automatically become stable. You do not have to roll d% to see
if you lose 1 hit point each round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads