E6: The Game Inside D&D (with PDFs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonblade275

First Post
E6 & The Massive Damage Threshold

50 points damage would normally kill a lot of characters... without any massive damage rules in E6.

Should any variants to the Massive Damage Rules be considered for E6?

kaomera

Explorer
Dragonblade275 said:
50 points damage would normally kill a lot of characters... without any massive damage rules in E6.

You could consider them, but you're just making the game a lot more deadly. One of the sets of rules that E6 removes is the various high-level save-or-die spells. Lowering the massive damage threshold by any significant amount could lead to a lot of saves...

Of course if you want that kind / level of "gritty", then go for it.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Dragonblade275 said:

Nah -- massive damage is unnecessary in E6, and isn't that well designed in the D&D3.5 RAW, for that matter.

Thanks Ryan! I intend to lead an E6 if I ever get my current campaign over with. Also, there may be some current epic feats that may still be usable in E6 without being overpowered (ex: Armor Skin [Maximum +5], Combat Archery, Dire Charge and others that have minimal prerequisites and either provide low, non game-breaking bonuses or waive certain restrictions).

Armor Skin for E6 would have the prerequisite: Con 15, +1 for each time it is taken.

@Kuni: Epic Prowess is a feat that grants +1 to all attacks and it seems to be over the top without the maximums also favoring certain classes.

In the case of Combat Training, my fix to that would be to allow it to be taken a number of times equal to the maximum BAB for the taker's class at L6, and simply act like an ultralight version of Epic Prowess (+n to all attacks, not to BAB). Finally, I would grant these prerequisites:

Str 13+, Dex 13+, Weapon Focus with at least two weapons, maximum BAB for your class.

That way classes with full progression still get their due. Also, no extra attacks are gained.

Hopefully the above feats don't share this affliction.

Last edited:

TheCrazyMuffinMan said:
@Kuni: Epic Prowess is a feat that grants +1 to all attacks and it's over the top. Hopefully the above feats don't share this affliction.
Is it really. It doesn't increase BAB, only attack bonus. If a PC really wants to spend all feats just on hitting, I think he'll miss out on so many other things it just might even out.

Of course, if the prereqs aren't severe, there's no need for weapon focus of any kind.

Sorcica said:
Is it really. It doesn't increase BAB, only attack bonus. If a PC really wants to spend all feats just on hitting, I think he'll miss out on so many other things it just might even out.

Of course, if the prereqs aren't severe, there's no need for weapon focus of any kind.

Good point. I edited the post after realizing some of the reasons -why- Epic Prowess earned its... um... epicity, and why it can be salvaged in E6 along with some others. Armor Skin kind of has this too, but Dodge is so underpowered it'd be worth -replacing- with AS (albeit at a power-level-appropriate cap).

I added prerequisites for E6 versions of both.

Last edited:

Kunimatyu

First Post
I don't have the time to try to figure out the conversion of Epic feats, but I do agree that it's a good place to start, especially as many are OGL.

I will say that regarding Epic Prowess, there is a world of difference between +1 to attacks and +1 to BAB.

Dragonblade275

First Post
E6 Martial Prowess Feat Chain

Epic Prowess would be perfect for a character that was a legendary archer or a swordsman of renown.

Here's how I'd word it. I'd change the name and make it a feat chain so as to avoid someone getting a +57 to hit. Basically, I wouldn't want to see a feat like this be able to be taken multiple times.

[SBLOCK]MARTIAL PROWESS [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 11, Intelligence 11, Base Attack Bonus +4
Benefit: Gain a +1 bonus on all attack and damage rolls. This bonus stacks with other bonuses on attack and damage rolls.
Special: A fighter may select Martial Prowess as one of his fighter bonus feats.

IMPROVED MARTIAL PROWESS [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Intelligence 13, Base Attack Bonus +5, Martial Prowess
Benefit: Gain a +1 bonus on all attack and damage rolls. This bonus stacks with other bonuses on attack and damage rolls.
Special: A fighter may select Improved Martial Prowess as one of his fighter bonus feats.

GREATER MARTIAL PROWESS [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 15, Intelligence 15, Base Attack Bonus +6, Improved Martial Prowess, Martial Prowess
Special: A fighter may select Greater Martial Prowess as one of his fighter bonus feats.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
FYI, I have been going through the previous thread today for stuff that I missed. I have updated the 4th and 5th posts of this thread, and I added one section about E6 vs. d20 at the bottom of the 1st post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads