• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6: The Game Inside D&D (with PDFs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Explorer
What about a 5-feat quick template?

Offensive Fighter
Weapon Focus, Weapon Spec, Cleave, Great Cleave, and Power Attack

Shazman

Banned
Banned
E8 would probably be just as viable as E6 as long as casters didn't get access to loads of 4th level spells. It would require less special feats and allow people to take a few levels of prestige classes. In E6, a huge amount of prestige classes are out of reach. The few you can get, you can only take one level of, which generally isn't worth it. It all depends on what you and your players decide what is best.

Ry

Explorer
One thing in E8 that you lose, though, is the ability to use hit-and-drop easy to track mooks against the fully-functional cap+20 party.

rycanada said:
What about a 5-feat quick template?

Offensive Fighter
Weapon Focus, Weapon Spec, Cleave, Great Cleave, and Power Attack
I like that.

Khuxan: As reply to the possible issue of not knowing if a character has all the feats he's due (because of short form feat listing), one could just write the number of feats the characters has before the listing of feats - i.e. Feats: (5) great Cleave, Greater Weapon Focus.

And so on.

Ry

Explorer
Well, in E6, I can use 1st level fighters as opponents against the PCs for the whole game. They're going to go down fast, but they're still credible threats against 6th+20 feats.

But 8th+20 feats? Not so much. That's when you're looking at level 3 or 4 fighters; they go down fast, but I find tracking their hit points and status effects is a lot more cumbersome than level 1 characters. Also there's the element of world design; if level 3 and 4 fighters / thugs / whatever are so common that they are the "basic mook" of the campaign, where did this supply of level 3 and 4 fighters come from? How did they get to level 3 while mostly spending their time patrolling?

Ah, I see. However, level 3 warriors (nps class) isn't that complicated, are they (BAB+3, 2 or 3 feats, hp 13)? They can hit and are a threat, but down in one hit they go.

But I get the point.

Morrius

First Post
In the style of some of the above posts, I've turned some of the mid-level class features from the core classes into feats. What do you think, sirs?

Extra Rage [General]
Prerequisite: Ability to rage, base attack bonus +5
Benefit: You may use your rage ability one additonal time per day.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

Greater Rage [General]
Prerequisite: Extra Rage feat
Benefit: When you rage, bonuses to Strength and Constitution during your rage each increase to +6, and your morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at -2.

Extra Wild Shape [General]
Prerequisite: Ability to assume wild shape, ability to cast 2nd level druid spells.
Benefit: You may assume wild shape one additional time per day.

Extra Smite Evil [General]
Prerequisite: Ability to smite evil as a class ability, base attack bonus +5
Benefit: You may use your smite evil ability one additional time per day.

Evasion [General]
Prerequisite: Base reflex save +3
Benefit: If you make a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, you instead take no damage. Evasion can be used only if you are wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless character does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Improved Sneak Attack [General]
Prerequisite: Sneak attack class ability, Hide 9 ranks, Move Silently 9 ranks
Benefit: Your sneak attacks deal an additional +1d6 damage.

Heroic Toughness [General]
Prerequisite: Base Fortitude save +5
Benefit: You gain 5 hit points.

Woodland Stride [General]
Prerequisite: Survival 9 ranks
Benefit: You may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion still affect you.

Swift Tracker [General]
Prerequisite: Track feat, Survival 9 ranks
Benefit: You can move at your normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal -5 penalty. You take only a -10 penalty (instead of the normal -20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.

Sonic Boom
Evocation [Sonic]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 5 foot square
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw: Fortitude partial or Reflex negates (object); see text
Spell Resistence: Yes

This spell creates a small burst of sonic energy centered around a 5-foot square space. Any creatre in that space takes 1d4 points of sonic damage per level of the caster, up to a maximum of 5d4, and is deafened for 1d4 rounds. Any character within 5 feet of the effect takes 1d3 points of sonic damage per level of the caster, up to a maximum of 5d3, and is deafened for 1 round. A successful save negates the deafness and reduces the damage by half.

Any exposed brittle or crystalline object or crystalline creature takes 1d6 points of sonic damage per caster level (maximum 5d6). An affected creature is allowed a Fortitude save to reduce the damage by half, and a creature holding fragile objects can negate damage to them with a successful Reflex save.

Material component: A small silver bell.

Freezing Blast
Evocation [Cold]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 40 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

Freezing blast creates an area of extreme cold, originating at your hand and extending outward in a cone. It drains heat, dealing 1d6 points of cold damage per caster level (maximum 6d6).

Arcane Material Component: A very small crystal or glass cone.

Ry

Explorer
Extra Rage, Extra Wildshape, Extra Smite Evil - I think these are underpowered when you consider how good Extra Turning is.

I'd say up them all to 2 or 3 times per day.

I think those spells are good, but rolling d3s is a pain. Why not change Sonic Boom to 1d6 per 2 caster levels, adjacents take half damage, brittle/crystalline take double damage?

Morrius

First Post
rycanada said:
Extra Rage, Extra Wildshape, Extra Smite Evil - I think these are underpowered when you consider how good Extra Turning is.

I'd say up them all to 2 or 3 times per day.

I think those spells are good, but rolling d3s is a pain. Why not change Sonic Boom to 1d6 per 2 caster levels, adjacents take half damage, brittle/crystalline take double damage?

Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads