• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6: The Game Inside D&D

Ry

Explorer
I'd pick a dragon around CR 12 to show off what those PCs can really take, but try to create a situation where the PCs have a few different avenues to gain info, do recon, or gain an advantage over the dragon.

I'd suggest having the dragon "trapped" in a cave complex - not in a single room mind you, the dragon can't get out the entrance but can stalk the players through the hive of caverns. That would make for a wicked fight. If you have the battle outside then I recommend having the PCs have a few avenues to bring the dragon to the ground.

Also, PREGENS are a must. MUST. Otherwise you won't be playing that day. 8th level + 5 feats takes a while to make.

I repeat: PREGENS ARE A MUST.

Cheers --ry

Ry

Explorer
Oh, have you seen my suggestions about improving exposition? That'd be easy to implement with the pregens you will absolutely totally 100% be making because you love your game and want it to be fun.

Piratecat had some awesome suggestions for running adventures at cons that are very relevant, but I'm not sure where they are.

Congratulations, Ryan!

I just saw the news and that's a wonderful name for a baby.

Thanks again for E6. I'm not running an E6 game, right now, but I'm taking a lot of ideas into my current game.

Whisper72

Explorer
Congrats on the fatherhood! Know how it is (my son Max came six weeks early at the beginning of march), it is a lot of fun, but little sleep. Kinda like college...

Animus

Explorer
Ryan Stoughton said:
I'd pick a dragon around CR 12 to show off what those PCs can really take, but try to create a situation where the PCs have a few different avenues to gain info, do recon, or gain an advantage over the dragon.

I'd suggest having the dragon "trapped" in a cave complex - not in a single room mind you, the dragon can't get out the entrance but can stalk the players through the hive of caverns. That would make for a wicked fight. If you have the battle outside then I recommend having the PCs have a few avenues to bring the dragon to the ground.

Also, PREGENS are a must. MUST. Otherwise you won't be playing that day. 8th level + 5 feats takes a while to make.

I repeat: PREGENS ARE A MUST.

Cheers --ry

I'm looking at a party of 6 or 7, so I'll be throwing an adult green at them (CR 13). The cave complex is exactly what I was thinking. And for the record, most of them have completed their characters already. I told them we need to hit the ground running, so no PC creation at the table.

I like the improved exposition idea; that's right up my alley. Thanks for the input.

Ry

Explorer
Also from my sig, look at the TRAP method: Find ways to add rewards, problems, and assets in addition to the threat inside the cave system. In fact, you could probably port over quite a few of the ideas I have in the TRAP thread itself (look for stuff about the manticore lair)

PoeticJustice

First Post
Ryan Stoughton said:
Also from my sig, look at the TRAP method: Find ways to add rewards, problems, and assets in addition to the threat inside the cave system. In fact, you could probably port over quite a few of the ideas I have in the TRAP thread itself (look for stuff about the manticore lair)

you get that thing I sent you?

Ry

Explorer
Yep. It's excellent, and I could definitely see using this with an Eberron E6 game.

The only reason I haven't posted it here is it's not OGL friendly (some reprints from Eberron, right?). Feel free to tack it on here though.

Ry

Explorer
What I'm thinking for E6 right now: I do think some kind of 4e E6 version will be a good game. I want to play that way - maybe E6 will mean new powers/talents and feats instead of just feats - and I imagine that when the 4e SRD finally comes out I'll be trimming it down to make a handbook for E6 (might be E7, E10, whatever).

Ry

Explorer
I sure wouldn't mind hearing about other peoples' E6 games - even if you're at a stage of "Hmm... my players are doing THIS right now but I don't know what to do next" feel free to post it here.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads