• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6: The Game Inside D&D

joela

First Post
Prestige feats

One of my players has just asked about the Exorcist of the Silver Flame PrC in my upcoming E6 variant campaign. What do you think of converting the prestige class levels into a talent tree? Would that make the feat too overwhelming? I'm thinking of stiffening prestige feats with entry requirements (i.e., need to perform a task worthy of joining the organization ), entry and membership costs (500 gp to enter, 100 gp a year to maintain), etc.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Judging from my brief look at the class, the Weapon of the Exorcist, Flame of Censure, Resist Possession, Weapon of Silver, and Weapon of Good all seem like abilities that could be converted to a feat chain without much trouble.

SodaGuy

First Post
SodaGuy said:
I had a thought about prestige classes that you can't get into by 6th level.

I'll use loremaster as an example. It requires 10 ranks in two skills, so you can't take it. But what if you took the new feat to give you higher max skill ranks twice. And then open minded to get 10 ranks in both skills. If you also meet the other prerequisites, you could trade a level of wizard for one of loremaster probably with the phb2 retraining rules. You'd still be around the same power level but with class features more focused toward what you want.

I think it'd work.

Nobody responded to this but I thought it was a good idea. Lemme re-explain and change it around some.

Say you're at fighter 6 but you want to get a level of exotic weapon master. Since you now meet the prereqs, at 21000xp you could trade a level. Lose everything fighter6 gets and gain the features of EWM1. Then at 28000xp you could trade fighter5 for EWM2 if you still meet the prereqs (which you usually will). Then you'd have a Ftr4/Ewm2.

It would make most characters stronger but it does so in a way akin to adding feats. It keeps the balance that level 6 provides. There are probably a few classes you don't want a level 6 to have 5 levels in but those classes can just be banned. A wizard1/cleric1/mystic theurge4 would be possible and would have 5th level casting in both.

So, it's not perfect but I think it works. Let's you get the cool flavor abilities of midlevel prcs.

Last edited:

Kunimatyu

First Post
SodaGuy, I think you'd be much better off converting PrC abilities to feat chains then letting people "retrain" into prestige classes. The Mystic Theurge example seems problematic, too -- they'd be capable of casting 3rd level spells as a wizard and a cleric, which seems a little too good.

SodaGuy:

I suppose you could do it your way, but I'd rather go the simpler approach and either redo the class as a series of feat chains like Kunimatyu says (and others have suggested), or let the PrC function as a base class and just ignore the prerequirements.

joela

First Post
PrC as base

Scurvy_Platypus said:
...or let the PrC function as a base class and just ignore the prerequirements.

I may be finding out how that works. One of my players has expressed interest an Exorcist of the Silver Flame from Eberron for our upcoming variant E6 campaign. While he originally planned a cleric/paladin/exorcist, I tentatively gave my okay to play the exorcist straight as a base class. If he goes for it, I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Ryan Stoughton said:
Platypus: Your approach is 100% A-OK. I usually eyeball it along the same lines. If you do any stat writeups, mind sending them my way?

Groovy.

As for the stat writeup thing...ummm... well, I'd be happy to except I'm not really sure how useful it would actually be. I'm going to be handling the skills in a SW Saga sort of way and the NPCs are going to be taking a combination of things:

The advice of Nightcloak and how to handle NPCs in his GM Notebook thread:
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2137596&postcount=25

"Back-whacking" of the Ptolus NPCs.

Those two things aren't insurmountable in and of themselves, but Everstone uses a version of the BESMd20 rules, which is basically a point-based d20. I won't derail your thread, but instead give the link to my Everstone/Ptolus thread where I'll lay out how things are going to work. The thread is here: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=203970 Post 4 and 9 have information about the skills, and if you're feeling curious the rest of the thread has bits about how Everstone works.

And Oct 12 is the planned start date for character generation and the start of the game.

Treacherous_B

First Post
My friend and fellow EN-World poster Asmor turned me on to the idea of E6, and I'm currently working on a campaign setting for it.

I hadn't read anything about the concept on the boards before tonight (it's all awesome, btw) but had started working on what I called "pinnacle abilities" - abilities that could be bought post-6th that represented a dedication to one class and were supposed to be significantly more powerful than normal feats. The thought process here was that a low-level-capped game makes multi-classing appear more attractive as an option, so I wanted to reward players that stuck with one class the whole way.

Anyway, I re-formatted them and have simply called them pinnacle feats. They require 10,000xp to purchase post-6th instead of the 5,000xp for normal feats. I wanted to toss them up here to see what people thought about them.

---

Favored of Fortune
Description: Lady luck smiles upon you considerably more than most. This allows you to live through encounters that would likely kill normal folk.
Pre-requisites: Rogue level 6
Effect: 3 times a day you can re-roll any roll you have just made. This new roll is made after you discover whether or not the first roll was successful. You must take the result of the second roll, even if it is worse that the first.

From the Brink
Description: So imbued are you with your god's power that not even death is beyond your ability to heal.
Pre-requisite: Cleric level 6
Effect: You can prepare and cast Raise Dead as a 2nd level spell. Characters with purchased bonus feats (including pinnacle feats) that go below level 6 by being raised lose access to those feats until they once again reach level 6.

Grand Master
Description: Your martial arts prowess makes you as deadly as you are quick - a potent combination in any battle.
Pre-requisites: Monk level 6
Effect: Your monk class abilities increase to the following: Flurry of Blows +4/+4/+0, unarmed damage 1d10, AC bonus +2.

Indomitable
Description: Years of grizzled combat and countless wounds have left you a nearly-unstoppable force on the battlefield.
Pre-requisites: Barbarian level 6
Effect: You gain damage reduction 2/-. In addition, you are no longer fatigued when coming out of a rage.

Inspire Excellence
Description: The tales you tell of former glories are so potent that they can stimulate almost mythic heroism.
Pre-requisites: Bard level 6
Effect: You may use your bardic music ability to inspire excellence in your allies. This grants them a +2 dodge bonus to AC, +2 morale bonus to saves, +2 competence bonus to attack and damage rolls, and +2 HP per HD. You may inspire a number of allies equal to one plus your charisma modifier. Using this ability is a standard action that requires concentration to maintain.

Lifecaster
Effect: For most spellcasters, magic is life. For you, however, life can be magic...and what potent magic it is.
Pre-requisite: Sorcerer level 6
Effect: You can take temporary constitution damage to increase the effective caster level of your spells. When you cast a spell, every one point of constitution damage you take increases the caster level that spell by one. You can't increase the effective caster level of a spell by more than 4 in this way. In addition, you may take constitution damage instead of increasing the spell slot used for spells you cast using Metamagic feats. For instance, you may cast a Maximized Magic Missile by taking 4 constitution damage instead of having to use a 4th level spell slot.

Master of Arms
Description: Through either rigorous training, natural skill, or both, you manage to be exceptional with nearly any weapon you wield.
Pre-requisites: Fighter level 6
Effect: You get a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls while wielding any weapon with which you are proficient.

Righteous Rejuvenation
Description: In your continuing battle against evil, each strike grants you the extra strength needed to finish the fight.
Pre-requisites: Paladin level 6
Effect: Whenever you successfully hit an evil opponent with a melee weapon you heal 3 points of damage. Whenever you successfully hit an evil opponent with a Smite Evil attempt, you instead heal an amount of damage equal to the damage dealt. In addition, your melee weapons are treated as good-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Savage Nature
Description: Your considerable time in the wilderness has afforded you natural protections against the harshness of the world.
Pre-requisites: Druid level 6
Effect: You gain +4 natural armor (which stacks with other natural armor bonuses) and can spontaneously grow natural weapons as a move action (see the Morphic Weapons Warshaper class feature, Complete Warrior pg. 90)

Stalking Hunter
Description: So well-versed are you in the ways of slaying your enemies that you have mastered the art striking them where it is most vital.
Pre-requisites: Ranger level 6
Effect: You gain sneak attack +2d6 against your favored enemies. In addition, you may score critical hits on any favored enemies you have that are normally immune to critical hits.

Tools of the Old World
Effect: By harnessing your knowledge of the arcane, you can imbue items with magical energies most consider long lost - at a cost.
Pre-requisites: Wizard level 6
Effect: Your effective caster level for creating magic items is increased by 2 for every Item Creation feat you possess (maximum +6). In addition, you may substitute a Knowledge (Arcana) check for any Sorcerer/Wizard spell of 5th level or lower that you don't know when crafting a magic item. The DC for this check is 10 plus three times the replicated spells level. Creating an item in this fashion is taxing, however, and deals to the Wizard the replicated spells level in temporary constitution damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads