• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Each Stats Schtick

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Over the course of the day I seem to be seeing a lot of discussion about what is the dump stat for 4e, I was wondering however if in fact each stat actually has a schtick which make it useful even if it is not the optimal choice for a min/maxer.

The benefit it provides no matter what your class is.

So....

STR Its Schtick would be Melee Opportunity Attacks(MOA), if you are in a situation where you make an MOA then this is the stat you will wish you had a higher score in. I imagine encumberance might also fall into this still. I think that it also improves Initiative but that will be mitigated by leveling.

DEX Its Schtick would be Armour Class Bonus(ACB), while not as universally useful as it was in 3e it still something you want if you ever get caught by Martial monsters or characters.

CON Its Schtick has changed the most I think now it is Healing Surges, even though your max HP has been nerfed, your staying power for the day is directly proportional.

INT I am unsure what this schtick is? It no longer provides any extra skill points or languages - what does it do? What is its universal benefit?

WIS As with intelligence, now that your will defense can be CHA as well what is the point of this if you are not a Paladin or Cleric or other class that requires it for powers.

CHA I am tempted to say being good looking is enough of a schtick but the truth is I can't as I am looking for mechanics specifically.

So I know the shtick of the 3 physical attributes but what about the mental ones what makes them as universally useful as the physical?

If we get the answer then I will update this so that all can see from the get go.

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
Kirnon_Bhale said:
INT I am unsure what this schtick is? It no longer provides any extra skill points or languages - what does it do? What is its universal benefit?

This is the one that's bugging me the most. Hopefully, it has more uses that are not disclosed as of yet. Maybe it's used in rituals?

By the way, Wisdom and Charisma are paired. I think you have CON instead by mistake.

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
FitzTheRuke said:
Having made a bunch of characters I find the math IS pretty solid. You have to give SOMETHING up if you want to dump a stat.

Fitz
I agree because my gut says so, I am wondering more about what it is exactly that you give up?

@Patlin: thanks for the correction. that would make Con and Str paired right?

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Kirnon_Bhale said:
WIS As with intelligence, now that your will defense can be CON...
I think you've got it wrong...

AFAIK, it's Fortitude = Str/Con; Reflex = Dex/Int; Will = Wis/Cha.

Strength is in that way important for your basic melee attacks.
Reflex for your basic ranged attacks.
Constitution for your "staying power" as you've already noted.
The "secondary shtick" of the mental attributes (besides defenses) is largely unknown so far.

Cheers, LT.

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Majoru Oakheart said:
Defenses and skills for the most part.
There needs to be more then this or they really will be dump stats. I have a feeling that there is more to it then this but I am unsure.

Speculation is welcome.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Kirnon_Bhale said:
There needs to be more then this or they really will be dump stats. I have a feeling that there is more to it then this but I am unsure.

Speculation is welcome.
I could speculate. But I have this uncanny ability to be correct. Then some lawyers from WOTC show up at my door and remind me that I'm not allowed to be correct.

Cadfan

First Post
A stat won't be a dump stat just because it only gives you defenses and skills.

If Wisdom and Charisma do absolutely nothing for your character except boost will defense and skills, you still won't dump both of them.

Remove ads