• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Early Western World D&D setting?

TheLibrarian

Explorer
Expanding on Greylord's reference to Paizo above, they also have Alkenstar. Not exactly Wild West. A bit more steampunk. But they also have gunslingers. Or at least they used to in 1st ed.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Not D&D, but the Zweihander-powered Flames of Freedom is a dark gothic take on the American Revolution.

You may also enjoy the Orson Scott Card novel Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus for inspiration for a more powerful and significant native populace.

Flicker the Flareon

Champion of Alola
There are PC games and board games about the Spanish Conquistador invasion of the Americas, but not a TTRPG that I can think of.

Edit: poked around for just a couple of minutes and found these:

The first one just lists books, and the second one... It's not free. I was looking for something free like the stuff on GM Binder. It's much better when ANYONE can enjoy content.

A game got me interested in the western style of D&D games. However, I'm talking about the age when the West was just discovered, not the style with wagons, horses, etc. that's also a film genre. Has anyone seen an early west setting? Homebrew included. Maztica and Chult have an ancient Mexico flavor, and the Tomb of Annihilation setting (correct me if that is Chult or Maztica) has more of a southern theme. So, there's no early west official setting. Please point me toward some homebrew if existent.

Ixal

Hero
That reminds me, what happened to Dragons conquer America (not D&D)?
It could at least be used for setting ideas.

Although it sounds to me you are looking more for a "Mayflower" like setting? That is indeed a time period not represented well in RPGs (early 17th century).

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That reminds me, what happened to Dragons conquer America (not D&D)?
It could at least be used for setting ideas.

Although it sounds to me you are looking more for a "Mayflower" like setting? That is indeed a time period not represented well in RPGs (early 17th century).

Northern Crown with its exploration of Septentrionalis is the only one that comes to mind straight off, which is nominally set in 1666 in Fantasy East coast of the North American analogue

I’ve not played but do recall a kickstarter for a Pathfinder Wild West setting - maybe Spellslingers? whose cover had a cowboy riding a dragon

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
+1 for Dragons Conquer America
Do an EnWorld search on the name; there is a thread (from 2019?) where one of the primary authors came in and did an interview.

Remove ads