• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Earthen grasp

balam_br

Explorer
i had an arguing with my DM based in soemthing that i consider a gray area in the spell..

The Earthen grasp can make touch attacks.... ok. So, do they have a threaten area? can i use an earthen grasp to give flanking bonus?

otherwise... the earth hand can make grapple checks... but it cant move to the square of the target to maintain the grapple for the next round... so, they need to do new checks (provoking attacks of oportunity) every round?

Thanks for your attention fellas,...

Quez The Lame

First Post
It's from Complete Arcana.

balam_br said:
The Earthen grasp can make touch attacks.... ok. So, do they have a threaten area? can i use an earthen grasp to give flanking bonus?
I'd say no. The arm just gets one grapple attempt per round (even with a BAB of +6 or higher), it says nothing of being armed in the spell description (or even being able to attack anyway). No attacks, no threat area, no flanking.

balam_br said:
otherwise... the earth hand can make grapple checks... but it cant move to the square of the target to maintain the grapple for the next round... so, they need to do new checks (provoking attacks of oportunity) every round?
Since the spell states damage dealt when pinning the arm has to be able to maintain a grapple. It just doesn't move into the opponents square.

Remove ads