• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eating Cicadas (and other bugs)

BookTenTiger

He / Him
yeah. I know all that.

And true, we could tone down little on cow meat as they are least efficient.

Pork and chicken are much better, rabbits even better. But you cannot eat only rabbits alone, not enough fat.

But, our food production is not the problem(or not real one right now), planet can sustain us now with our meat diet.
But maybe we should really look into not expanding our population over 9 or 10 billions?

Also, except food, we could improve on other things that will reduce our "carbon footprint":

Do not buy a car that uses over 5L/100km(47 MPG),
Have all your home appliance at least A++ energy efficiency rating,
Better window and wall isolation for heating/cooling expenditure of energy,
Do NOT protest building new nuclear power plants,
Try your very best to sort every piece of waste you produce in your home,
Do not leave water running for 5 mins every time you brush your teeth,

there is lots of things we can do before we have to exchange our pork chops for grasshopper and cockroaches.
On the other hand, talking about eating bugs is a lot of fun!

BookTenTiger

He / Him
True, but altering the protein that we eat could be one of the most effective ways to improve efficiency, while reducing carbon footprint. Think of how much land could be allowed to go fallow, or be used for the production of produce instead. Also, think of all of those eliminated cow farts.

Given how much processed crap most people seem to eat these days, it's also not like anyone would notice the change anyway. Is your frozen microwave burrito made with beef, or meal worms? Would you know even now?
If we use selective breeding, the whole microwaved burrito could be one big mealworm!

Horwath

Legend
I await your plan with baited breath.
If I had any grand plan, I would have stated it in my last post together with ways to reduce our overall energy expenditure.

I don't know,
maybe education, teaching people about safe sex, contraceptives, maybe that a couple should not have more than 3 children.
Planet Earth has finite habitable area, with current technology...
it's not just area for growing food. it's area for everything else. Living areas, recreation, roads, workplace, utilities.
We cannot destroy every last forest so we can build more houses/factories/power plants.

Not to mention how much garbage we produce. If we do not get to 99% recycling in a decade or two, we are F.U.B.A.R. All of us.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If I had any grand plan, I would have stated it in my last post together with ways to reduce our overall energy expenditure.

I don't know,
maybe education, teaching people about safe sex, contraceptives, maybe that a couple should not have more than 3 children.
Planet Earth has finite habitable area, with current technology...
it's not just area for growing food. it's area for everything else. Living areas, recreation, roads, workplace, utilities.
We cannot destroy every last forest so we can build more houses/factories/power plants.

Not to mention how much garbage we produce. If we do not get to 99% recycling in a decade or two, we are F.U.B.A.R. All of us.
Problem is it's an entire planet. Even if you can get one country to do all that, how do you get them all to?

Horwath

Legend
Problem is it's an entire planet. Even if you can get one country to do all that, how do you get them all to?
ofc it is. No one said that one statement from White house or EU parliament will solve everything.

there is always carrot and stick.

Remove ads