• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron/Horror Game - FULL - Got my three additional players, thanks!

Lord_Raven88 said:
Well I was going to go a Warforged Psion, but as there is already a Warforged and a Psion in the party, I thought it would be good to go a @ss kicking evil slaying Cleric of 'The Silver Flame'.
I wouldn't count on kicking too much @$$ if I were you! :p:lol:

Anyway, here's the characters I've got so far -- I'll update this post as more come in.
  • Isida Kep'Tukari -- Forge - Warforged Artificer
  • solkan_uk -- Arlanen Medani - Half-elf Psion (seer)
  • Cursed Quinn -- Feral - Shifter Ranger
  • Harvey -- Ceres d'Deneith - Human Hexblade
  • MadMaxim -- Alastor - Human Warmage
  • Lord_Raven88 --

Last edited:

solkan_uk

First Post
I couldn't remember if Medani had a prefix or not, I know that most house surnames are d'

like d'Cannith, but on the WotC message boards Keith Baker says this is the official standard but doesn't apply all the time, particularly in cases where it sounds odd, to me d'Medani sounds a bit off so I didn't use the prefix

Of course I can't find a search function on the WotC boards, so maybe it's faulty memory syndrome.

Not that this makes any difference to the character really, so if you want me to add d' then that's not a problem.

MadMaxim

First Post
Alastor - Warmage 1
Medium Humanoid (Human)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Hit Die: d6 (13 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+3 armor), touch 10, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+1
Attack: Spear +1 melee (1d8+1), or light crossbow +0 ranged (1d8)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spells.
Special Qualities: Armored mage (light), warmage edge.
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +0, Will +1.
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 15.
Skills: Concentration +5, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (arcana) +6, Knowledge (history) +6, Spellcraft +6.
Feats: Armor Proficiency (Light) [warmage starting feat], Combat Casting, Simple Weapons Proficiency [warmage starting feat] Shield Proficiency (Light) [warmage starting feat], Sudden Extend.
Languages: Common, Draconic, Elven.
Action Points: 5.

Spells Per Day: 5/4
Spells Known: See Complete Arcane, page 90

Equipment: Spear, dagger, light crossbow, studded leather, 10 crossbow bolts, spell component pouch, traveler's outfit, backpack, bedroll, identification papers, 2 torches, 2 trail rations, 3 gp, 8 sp, 8 cp.
Encumbrance: 45 lb./50 lb. (light load)

Personal Information
Age 24
Height 5'8"
Weight 162 lb.
Hair Brown
Eyes Green
Skin Caucassian

XP: 0/1,000.

Description

Alastor is not your average scholary wizard. He's hard, he's always suspects everyone and rarely takes anything at face value. He's obviously used to being a part of the military, either ordering people around or being ordered around himself. He's also pretty strong for a wizard, able to wear armor normally unsuitable for wizards. He's not afraid to show his power and it shows. He's very confident but easily distracted and is perhaps lacking some willpower.

Background Story

Alastor studied at one of Cyre's former military academies in Metrol where he learned the destructive side of magic. This fascinated him and he studied long and hard while disregarding the more subtle uses of arcane magic. When he graduated from the academy, he was sent on assignment in the Eldeen Reaches. During The Last War he didn't really see any combat because he was ordered to stay in the Eldeen Reaches even though he desperately wanted to fight for his country. When disaster struck Cyre and turned it into the Mournland, Alastor became disillusioned pulled out of the assignment and started wandering the Eldeen Reaches for work. Alastor has long since forgotten about his original mission and is now a spell-slinger for hire.

EDIT: Alastor has got a background story now! Huzzah! ;)

Last edited:

Cursed Quinn

First Post
Char. finally posted. Any problems or questions just ask.

Name:
Feral
Class: Ranger 1
Race: Shifter
Size: Medium
Alignment: Neutral

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 136 lb.
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Red
Skin: Light brown

Str: 17 +3
Dex: 16 +3
Con: 14 +2
Int: 8 -1
Wis: 12 +1
Cha: 6 -2

Saves:
Fort: +4
Ref: +5
Will: +1

HP: 15
AC: 15
Init: +3 (+3 Dex)
Speed: 30ft
Armor Check Penalty: 0

BAB: +1
Melee Atk: +4
Ranged Atk: +4

Skills:
Balance +5 (+3 str, +2 racial)
Climb +5 (+3 str, +2 racial)
Jump +5 (+3 str, +2 racial)
Handle Animal +1 (3 ranks, -2 chr)
Hide +6 (3 ranks, +3 dex)
Move Silently +6 (3 ranks, +3 dex)
Search +0 (1 rank, -1 int)
Spot +2 (1 ranks, +1 wis)
Listen +2 (1 ranks, +1 wis)
Survival +5 (4 ranks, +1 wis)
Knowledge (Nature) +3 (4 ranks, -1 int)
Swim +3 (+3 str)

Feats:
Beasthide Elite

Shifter Abilities:
+2 dex, -2 int, -2 chr
Lowlight Vision
Beasthide Trait
+2 balance, +2 climb, +2 jump

Ranger Abilities:
Track
Wild Empathy
1st Favored Enemy (Abberations)

Languages:
Common

Equipment:
Long Bow
40 arrows
Quiver
Great Axe
Leather Armor

rest of equip. to come

Appearance:
Of medium height, Feral slouches at all times. Her red eyes never make contact with others for more than a few seconds before shying away. Her dirty brown hair is perpetually tangled and matted, and in her face. The left side of her face is scarred by large claw marks. Her skin is light brown, though whether naturally this way, or due to lack of cleanliness is unclear. She wears worn leather armor, and carries a long bow and a greataxe.

Personality:
Feral is very quiet. She never speaks more than a few words at any time. She is uncomfortable in the company of others, always restless and figiting. She only truly relaxes, when she is alone in the deep woods of the Eldeen Reaches.

Background:
An old shifter ranger named Torgas was patrolling a remote northern section of the Eldeen Reaches when he stumbled upon a scene of slaughter. Dozens of shifter corpses were scattered across a clearing, all torn and dismembered horribly. It looked like the shifters had put up a great battle, there were weapons and arrows scattered all over, but no sign of any bodies or blood besides that from the shifters. Also, strangely enough, despite the number and condition of the corpses, and the fact that they had been decomposing for over a day, there were no predators of any kind feeding upon the corpses. Uneasy, Torgas searched through the remains of the shifters, when his keen ears detected a small noise. Investigating, he found a small shifter child hiding in the hollow of a tree bordering the small clearing. The child was half dead, the left side of her face horribly scarred. Using his magic, Torgas was able to keep the child alive.
Torgas took the child back to his small house. Over the next few days, the child rapidly recovered, though she remained silent. The only time she made any noise was at night, when she wake up, screaming from unknown nightmares. Despite the uncanny nature of the child, Torgas began to grow attached to her. He raised her as a daughter, teaching her the skills of the ranger. He called her Feral, because even at the best of times she acted half wild. Feral eventually grew to tolerate Torgas, though she viewed everyone else with fear and suspicion.
Torgas passes away twelve years ago. Feral inherited his small house, though she spends most of her time away from it, wandering the woods. She survives by hunting and gathering in the woods, only venturing into town to sell the skins of the animals she traps. Occasionally Feral will guide small parties through the woods. The nightmares that troubled her as a young child still occur, though less frequently. She can never remember any details of these dreams, or about the events that led to the massacre of her tribe. She remembers nothing before Torgas found her.

Last edited:

Harvey

First Post
Here's what I have so far. I intentionally left parts of the history vague, to allow integration with the rest of the party, once we figure out how we met.

Two questions though for Joshua (or anybody I guess):
1) Starting money for a Hexblade? Can't seem to find it in Complete Warrior... I did some of the purchasing based on the fighter's average starting gold, but didn't go too crazy in case I need to pull it back in.
2) I am looking to "purchase" a Writ of the Watchful Eye for my character for creation. (Mentioned in Sharn: City of Towers pg. 148). How much would you say it costs? Or would it be just part of the background character? It does have advantages, so I assume it wouldn't be free...

Code:
Name: Ceres d'Deneith
Race: Human 
Class: Hexblade
Size: Medium
Alignment: N
Deity: none
Level: 1
Exp: 0

STR 14 (+2)    (14 pts) 
DEX 16 (+3)    (15 +1 pts)
CON 14 (+2)    (13 +1 pts)
INT 10 (--)    (10 pts)
WIS  8 (-1)    ( 8 pts)
CHA 13 (+1)    (12 +1 pts)

Fort:   +2      (+0 base +2 ability)
Ref:    +3      (+0 base +3 ability)
Will:   +1      (+2 base -1 ability)

HD: 1d10
HP: 15
Action Points: 5
Init: +2        (+3 dex)
Spd: 30' x 4
AC: 16          (10 base +3 dex +3 armor)
   Flat-Footed: 13
   Touch: 13
ACP: -1
Arcane Spell Failure: 0%

BAB: +1
   Melee: +3
   Ranged: +4
Grapple: +3     (+1 BAB +2 STR)

Weapons:
Rapier               +3 attack  1d6+2 damage   x2 on 18-20
Dagger               +3 attack  1d4+2 damage   x2 on 19-20  10' Range

Armor:
Studded Leather      +3 AC      +5 max dex     -1 ACP

Languages: Common

Abilities:
-- Proficient with all simple & martial weapons, light armor
-- Hexblade's curse 
   (1/day; 60'; -2 atk, saves, ability & skill checks, damage; Will DC 12)

Feats:
-- Least Dragonmark (Mark of Sentinel, Shield of Faith 1/day) (1st level)
-- Weapon Finesse (1st human)

Skill Points: 12        Max Ranks: 4/2
Skills:                 Stat  Total    Ability  Ranks  Misc
-- Appraise             Int   +0     = +0    
-- Balance              Dex   +2     = +3              -1 (ACP)
-- Bluff                Cha   +2     = +2
-- Climb                Str   +1     = +2              -1 (ACP)            
-- Concentration        Con   +2     = +2
-- Diplomacy            Cha   +1     = +1
-- Disguise             Cha   +1     = +1
-- Escape Artist        Dex   +2     = +3              -1 (ACP)         
-- Forgery              Int   +0     = +0
-- Gather Info          Cha   +1     = +1
-- Heal                 Wis   -1     = -1
-- Hide                 Dex   +2     = +3              -1 (ACP)      
-- Intimidate           Cha   +1     = +1     
-- Jump                 Str   +1     = +2              -1 (ACP)  
-- Knowledge (arcana)   Int   +4     = +0       +4
-- Listen               Wis   -1     = -1     
-- Move Silently        Dex   +2     = +3              -1 (ACP)
-- Ride                 Dex   +3     = +3
-- Search               Int   +0     = +0     
-- Sense Motive         Wis   +1     = -1              +2 (dragonmark)
-- Spellcraft           Int   +4     = +0       +4
-- Spot                 Wis   -1     = -1   
-- Survival             Wis   +2     = +1       +2 (cc)
-- Swim                 Str   +0     = +2              -2 (ACP)
-- Use Rope             Dex   +3     = +3

Starting Gold: xx gp
Equipment:
-- Armor, Studded Leather             20.0 lb    25 gp
-- Backpack                            2.0 lb     2 gp
-- Bedroll                             5.0 lb     1 sp
-- Blanket, Winter                     3.0 lb     5 sp
-- Dagger                              1.0 lb     2 gp
-- Flint & Steel                       ------     1 gp
-- Identification Papers /w Portrait   ------     5 gp
-- Identification Papers (forged)*     ------    10 gp (in hidden pocket in breeches)
-- Manacles                            2.0 lb    15 gp
-- Pouch, Belt                         0.5 lb     1 gp
-- Rapier                              2.0 lb    20 gp
-- Rations, Trail (5 days)             5.0 lb    25 sp
-- Sunrod (2)                          2.0 lb     4 gp
-- Torch (3)                           3.0 lb     3 cp
-- Traveling Papers                    ------     2 sp
-- Traveling Papers (forged)*          ------     5 gp (in hidden pocket in breeches)
-- Waterskin                           4.0 lb     1 gp
-- Writ of the Watchful Eye            ------    xx gp

* forged identity: Merrin Dalabar

Total Weight: 50.5 lbs
Total Money @ Character Creation: xx gp
Current Money: xx gp

Max Weight:  58 light   116 medium   175 heavy

Height: 6'
Weight: 200 lbs
Eyes: Black
Hair: Black

Appearance:
Ceres d'Deneith is a stern-looking man of excellent build. With short black hair and a trimmed black goatee, Ceres stands tall in any room he enters. Ceres wears studded leather armor, with his lucky scabbard slung from his belt. In it lies his rapier, complete with the Watchful Eye of Deneith at the end of its pommel. Strapped to the side of one of his black boots is another sheath, one that holds a dagger. If he were to roll up his sleeves, one would find the tell-tale Mark of Sentinel on his right shoulder.

Personality:
While Ceres looks stern, he is often known to crack a smile, especially for a beautiful woman. Ceres most notable trait is that he is doggely persistent, and will travel to the ends of the earth to complete his goal. He has an innate curiosity for the arcane magics, though usually only in relation to fighting or manhunting. While he does have a greedy streak, it is nowhere near as bad as other mercenaries of House Deneith.

History:
Raised in Sharn, in his early youth Ceres manifested the Mark of the Sentinel. This, however, didn't explain other manifestations that often centered around him: a curse of bad luck for those that opposed him. Groomed by the house, Ceres soon entered the employ of the Blademarks.

Ceres worked as a White Blade, for a number of years doing menial work. However, an encounter with an arcane-casting ogre mage in Malleon's Gate who owed the hOuse some money piqued his interest in the arcane arts. After some studying, Ceres learned that his luck-manipulation may come from the curse of the hexblade.

Though still unpracticed, Ceres used his hexblade abilities to aide the house. Because of the great promise his abilities showed, Ceres was promoted to the ranks of the Gray Blades(some say before his due). Soon after, Ceres was given his first big job by the house: fill the contract to "remove" a slave merchant named Agar Wollox.

What Ceres did not know was that Agar Wollox was not the human he appeared to be: he was actually a doppelganger named Bor. With the help of his troops, Ceres tracked Bor across Breland: from Sharn to Wroat to Ardev to Xandrar. Though he lost two of his troops fighting Bor in Xandrar, he would not give up his bounty.

Losing the trail for a few weeks, Ceres and his men found it again: evidently Bor, in the guise of a shifter, travelled across Lake Galifar to the Eldeen Reaches. There, Bor convinced a troop of shifters to attack the House Deneith hunters. In the aftermath of the battle, the shifters and the House Deneith White Blades slaughtered each other.

Ceres found ultimate success: he finally brought down Bor. However, Bor, in his dying breath, told Ceres: "you think this was all about a simple merchant asssassination? My job was to bring you to the Reaches... you think you know who you really are? Your powers come from an evil you could not comprehend. You don't know anything..."

With his quest of the last two years fulfilled, Ceres sent word back to his house in Sharn of his success. In the meantime, Ceres opted to remain in the Eldeen Reaches. Disturbed by Bor's final words, Ceres has taken to investigate his heritage; an investigation that ofttimes takes him into the mysterious depths of horror. His travels have taken him to the thorpe of Greenblade, hearing a rumor involving some dark magicks...

Last edited:

Harvey, those are both good questions, and naturally I have neither my copy of Complete Arcane nor Sharn with me here at work. ;) I'll try and pop into the local bookstore near lunchtime and see if I can find any guidance on either of those questions. If not, I'll just make something up later today.

Still looking for something on a character from Lord_Raven88 as well.

One thing I forgot to mention -- although it's been done well by the backgrounds I do have, I'll go ahead and mention it for those still to come. Keep in mind that your characters should probably be fairly youngish -- you may have some training, but you don't really have any experience to speak of, naturally, as you're all first level. Backgrounds that have a long list of prior exploits won't make much sense -- backgrounds that have stories that get you to this location are better.

To begin with, you'll all find yourselves in a small town -- if you have access to the Eberron map (and you should -- you can get it online at wizards.com) and you can find the Silver Lake (a smaller lake just south of Lake Galifar) look for the small thorpe of Greenblade, between Xandrar and Sylbaran. The town is in the border country, and gets traffic and travelers from the Eldeen Reaches, Breland and occasionally even Droaam. It is a dingy and dirty mining town, where agents of rich Brelish lords have exploited the native inhabitants by employing them mining coal and iron from rich beds and veins under the surface. The town itself is in an area chock full with sites of archeological significance -- although conventional wisdom is that all of them were ransacked and anything of value was taken before the Last War even started, leaving behind only the grassy hummocks of former earthworks, walls or barrows as a mute testimony to the history of the region.

As you develop your backgrounds, please keep in mind that you need a reason to be in this little town as we begin.

Last edited:

Another quick (and minor) note about the setting as I'm running it -- I'll be downplaying the "cosmopolitan Monsteropolis" nature of Droaam a bit, and making it more a nation of gnolls, with a few ogres. Much of the other monsters such as hags, medusas, etc. will be --if retained-- turned into more like unique, or nearly so, creatures rather than "races."

Also, the Demon Wastes always talk about rakshasas and fiends, but then more weight is given to the rakshasas. I'm not that crazy about rakshasas, so they'll also be downplayed; the Demon Wastes is about actual demons in my version of the setting. Expect to see more unique and unusual monsters and challenges, if you live long enough to--a bit more of an almost Lovecraftian vibe. Otherwise, the setting will run pretty much as is--or at least, as far as your characters know at this point, it will. :)

Remove ads