D&D 5E Eberron: Making a Football League for Khorvaire

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Yeah, the title kind of says what I'm working on; a D&D football league (and I mean the brutal American kind). It's essentially an idea for a one-shot where the players are players on a team, and "combat" is imitating plays in the game instead of "kill kill all the time." Non-lethal magic is also allowed, though weapons or items are not. The game will be taking some inspiration from Warhammer's Bloodbowl.

Anyway, as someone who is not super ingrained in Eberron's lore, but still feel that this is perhaps the best world to set such a league (at least a few years in its future), I've made a list of nations and their cities that may make good locations for teams.

What I need your help with, is what name, colors, logo, and mascot each of these teams should have. This is just a fun exercise so I'm open to any ideas (no matter how ridiculous) but ones that draw from a nation's lore/history are better (as the lore is my lack of expertise). Feel free to suggest different cities if you think they make more sense.

Also, teams will reflect their nations outlook. Examples include; Karrnath will use some undead as players (ogre zombie linebackers!), and Darguun will have goblinoid players.

Note: Yes I know that this scenario doesn't make much sense, I'm setting it in a near-future Eberron where the various nations are mostly at peace and cooperate in things like trade and sports.

Team Nations and Cities:
  • Droaam: Great Crag
  • Shadow Marshes: Zarash’ak
  • Breland: Sharn
  • Zilargo: Trolanport
  • Darguun: Rhukaan Draal
  • Aundair: Fairhaven
  • Thrane: Flamekeep
  • Karrnath: Korth
  • Valenar: Taer Valaestas
  • Q’barra: Newthrone
  • Mror Holds: Krona Peak
  • Lhazaar Principalities: Regalport
  • Demon Wastes: Ashtakala
  • Talenta Plains: Gatherhold
I'll start; The Rhukaan Reavers, the goblinoid team of Darguun. Colors are yellow and black, their logo is a spiky crown. Mascot is a dire wolf called Spike.

1574796686829.png

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Demon Wastes: Ashtakala
Name: Maelstorms
Colors: Brass and Obsidian Black.
Symbol: Boot stomping on a winged snake. Why? Because the Lords of Dust are super-salty.
Mascot: Tiger (which is actually a rakshasa who constantly interferes with the match)
Angle: Aside from the outside interference, the players are likely to be Warlocks or have other fiendish boons.

Fun Fact: Home games at the Ashtakala Basalt Colosseum magically disguise the team's uniforms into something anachronistic, due to the latent preservation magic that encompaces the city. No matter what team is playing, or how new that team is, they always have an appropriate "throw-back" uniform on display while playing there.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
They're not on the list, but dammit they're turning up anyway!

The halflings of the Talenta Plains (hosted in the town of Gatherhold) wear colours of red and gold, their uniforms incorprating the skulls and plumage of various dinosaurs. Their mascot is a cute, friendly Triceratops who is played by a team of two halflings, pantomime-horse style (they take turns being at the front of the dinosaur).

They're known for being hard to pin down, and for their trick shots with the ball. They can't quite make it do loops like a Talenta boomerang, but sometimes they get remarkably close.

EDIT: I forgot a team name. The Talons.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
"What do you mean the Artificer made a football with wings!?"
-Strom Helguard, of The Breland Towers, upon hearing bout the opposing team's Artificer Quarterback.

Last edited:

Zilargo: Trolanport
Name: Quills
Colors: Black and White
Symbol: A writing quill superimposing a broken sword.
Mascot: Scribble ( an anthropomorphic feather generated with illusion magic)
20191126_140954.jpg
Angle: Specialize in plays that are in the letter of the rules, if not the spirit.

Fun Fact: Although the team is owned by a gnome, it is manned entirely by members of Zilargo's human and dwarf minority. Zil gnomes prefer to play a game akin to cricket or baseball.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Breland: Sharn
Name: The Towers
Colors: Orange and Blue
Symbol: A Roaring Bear's Head
Mascot: A dire bear. Not costume an actual dire bear named Binkley.
Angle: At least half the team are warforged juggernauts with a focus on smashing the opponents not quite into pulp.

Fun fact: King Boranel is a fan of the team and attends as many games as his schedule allows.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I don't want to do another full team, but it occurred to me that with the new take on dawrves, it'd be a cool twist if their team members all had Daelkyr symbionts. Of course, you'd need to relocate them out of Clan Mroranon lands.

Coroc

Hero
Yeah and the football got steel reinforcements and long spikes, so a catch attaches it securely to the running backs hands lol. You won't need the little pedestal which the kicker uses for kickoff anymore, just stick the ball to the ground.

:p

Remove ads