D&D 5E Eberron: Making a Football League for Khorvaire

Undrave

Legend
Yeah, the title kind of says what I'm working on; a D&D football league (and I mean the brutal American kind). It's essentially an idea for a one-shot where the players are players on a team, and "combat" is imitating plays in the game instead of "kill kill all the time." Non-lethal magic is also allowed, though weapons or items are not. The game will be taking some inspiration from Warhammer's Bloodbowl.

Anyway, as someone who is not super ingrained in Eberron's lore, but still feel that this is perhaps the best world to set such a league (at least a few years in its future), I've made a list of nations and their cities that may make good locations for teams.

What I need your help with, is what name, colors, logo, and mascot each of these teams should have. This is just a fun exercise so I'm open to any ideas (no matter how ridiculous) but ones that draw from a nation's lore/history are better (as the lore is my lack of expertise). Feel free to suggest different cities if you think they make more sense.

Also, teams will reflect their nations outlook. Examples include; Karrnath will use some undead as players (ogre zombie linebackers!), and Darguun will have goblinoid players.

Note: Yes I know that this scenario doesn't make much sense, I'm setting it in a near-future Eberron where the various nations are mostly at peace and cooperate in things like trade and sports.

Team Nations and Cities:
  • Droaam: Great Crag
  • Shadow Marshes: Zarash’ak
  • Breland: Sharn
  • Zilargo: Trolanport
  • Darguun: Rhukaan Draal
  • Aundair: Fairhaven
  • Thrane: Flamekeep
  • Karrnath: Korth
  • Valenar: Taer Valaestas
  • Q’barra: Newthrone
  • Mror Holds: Krona Peak
  • Lhazaar Principalities: Regalport
  • Demon Wastes: Ashtakala
  • Talenta Plains: Gatherhold
I'll start; The Rhukaan Reavers, the goblinoid team of Darguun. Colors are yellow and black, their logo is a spiky crown. Mascot is a dire wolf called Spike.

View attachment 116112

You ever watched the Wakfu animated series? (Should still be on Netflix) They have a game like that too called Gobbowl. You could check out the episodes on it (I think it was a two parter early in the first season? They need money for a boat).

The thing to note is that in that game, each team has a load out of magical gear with a number of 'charges' per quarter or half of the game (forgot which) that must be used judiciously and strategically for best effect. Includes a shield to block powerful throws with! The game also includes randomized hazards.

I'd watch it if I were you, just for some visual ideas if nothing else.

EDIT: Gobbowl

Remove ads