• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Eberron] Minor changes

Evil DM

First Post
Hi folks,

I just think about some minor changes for the Eberron Campaign Setting. I cannot wait until june 2009 so I build some stuff on my own. ;)

First. I think the ranger with his two-weapon-fighting powers makes a good basis for a elven fighter from valenar. Reknown for their double scimitars. So looking back to 3rd edition I would treat two weapons or a double weapon technically the same.

So give the ranger a valenar double weapon and give it some game statistics we can still discuss. But I think the overall idea is clear.

Furthermore if we changed the ranger into a frontliner valenarelf the prime shot makes no sense any more. So I would just rewrite it for melee:
Honorable Fight
To honor your ancestors you bring down you enemy on your own!
You get a +1 bonus to melee attack if none of your allies is adjacent to your target.

Second.
This idea is based on the former use of intimidate back in 3rd edition. I see it as an additional ability for the fighter and his combat challenge.
I give it the form of a power.
Battle Cry of the Last War
By reciting battle crys of the Last War you invoke again fear in your enemy!
Minor Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Intimidate vs. Will Defense
Hit: If you have marked the target it receives the -2 penalty to attacks also against you.
Special: The target must be able to understand you or you receive a -5 penalty. You must make the battle cry before you attack the chosen enemy to mark it and it can only be used once against a single enemy.

I hope the intention is clear. Rule fixes are appreciatet.

Cheers, Evil DM.

Spatula

Explorer
First. I think the ranger with his two-weapon-fighting powers makes a good basis for a elven fighter from valenar. Reknown for their double scimitars. So looking back to 3rd edition I would treat two weapons or a double weapon technically the same.
Well, there are no double weapons in the game currently. :) You could just treat the valenar double scimitar as two scimitars (mechanically), which is already a valid option for rangers, and has the added bonus of not costing a feat.

Furthermore if we changed the ranger into a frontliner valenarelf the prime shot makes no sense any more. So I would just rewrite it for melee:
Prime shot already makes little sense for 2WF rangers. It really should be an archer-only bonus. It's been noted before that it's superior for an archer ranger to "choose" the 2WF path, as you get Toughness for free and the ability to use 1H weapons in your off-hand if you're forced into melee. And just about all the ranger powers work with either style. Your idea would make a good feat, I think (perhaps restricted to strikers) - a bonus to hit if no one else is in melee, which could make up for the lack of a flanking bonus.

The intimidate thing has a few problems, IMO:
You can already use the skill to make bloodied enemies surrender, which I think is meant to replace the old combat use of the skill.
By making it a minor action, it becomes a nearly free method to get +2 AC vs a foe, which is pretty potent. If this replaced a power, versus something you get for free, I think it would be more appropriate.
By making it a Ranged power, it would trigger OAs when used. That's why the paladin's Divine Challenge and the cleric's Healing Word are close bursts that affect 1 target within the burst.

Evil DM

First Post
Thanks for the reply.

I will think about your comments belonging to the ranger / valenar warrior.

And I feel confident that I suggested some fixes showing me that I was not familiar with the impact the change for the fighter could have.

1st
The mundane change from ranged attack to "one creature within burst" seems valid not to provoke OAs. Thanks :)

2nd
To get a +2 bonus to AC for a mere minor action seems too much I give you right.

On the other hand I suggest further fixes or alternativ implements.

If I think about this topic I figure out to have the fighter also have two build options.
Consider them and keep in mind that I try to keep the flavor of Eberron in these options.

a) Last War Veteran
You lost some of your fine art in battle and traded it for some bitter experience on the battlefield.
You do not get the Weapon Talent Ability but you get the Battle Cry of the Last War-Power.

So. An effective +2 bonus to AC might be much, we can discuss that. But you do not get +1 to attack rolls. Something like trade offense power for defense.

b) Eager Kadett
You have fullfilled your training just in time to see the end of the Last War
You have received the best training possible. After years of battle and improvement of fighting technics you are one of the best swordsmen alive.
You gain the Weapon Talent as we know it from the PH.

Maybe we can relate this somehow to Rekkenmark Academy from Karrnath? Something like a Regional Feat?

3rd
On new idea.

Since we all want to see the new Dragonmarks as Feats I had a quick idea of the Least Dragonmark of Shadow. Why not just use the Darkness Encounter Powers from the Drow as shown in the FR Preview Article?

Cheers, Evil DM.

Spatula

Explorer
Having to choose between the intimidate power and the fighter hit bonus strikes me as being more reasonable.

I'm rather curious what form dragonmarks will be, officially. From what we've seen so far, feats don't give you new powers, so I wonder if they're going to be like the multiclass power-replacement feats. i.e. swap a class power for a dragonmark power.

Evil DM

First Post
Hi folks,

I have made three pages of personal Eberron flavor.

The first page consists of the two discussed powers.

The second page is a personal attempt to use the DnD 4th edition rules as a basis for eberron archtypes. With minor changes.

The third page are just encounter powers from the PH or as you will realize from the Drow or Genasi race.
Making them dragonmark powers with the feat: Least Dragonmark.

I hope I do not violate any official laws. In such a case just say it an I will remove the given issue.

Cheers, Evil DM.

Attachments

• Houserules.pdf
    111.4 KB · Views: 96

Remove ads