Eberron Setting?

Unfortunately I've been held up with exams and studies for the last several months, but I'm back to a regular schedule of doing nothing, so will hopefully be able to put more efforts into researching more potential avenues for an Eberron room to go under, in terms of idea, style, and... 'need'. Rest assured this is not something I'm giving up on, I've just been a bit busy lately, and have since realised that to do this properly will require a lot of work, effort and time; the latter of which I've found myself with a lot of finally :D

Magatsu

First Post
Would it be that hard to just create a description, all CoC applies to the room, just need a room description. Taverns seem to be the most popular, though in a nice enough area of eberron there could be an open air structure (like open malls, and buildings in cali.) Wouldn't the largest problem be, that the realm is not in sink with the others. Would we have to make characters only for that setting, or can we assume its linked to the Cage and use that medium for the so normal characters zipping to other realms on a whim?

I have read all of the eberron material I truely like the fresh history and the setting.

I have ideas and will place them when I get the time.

Madra Rua

First Post
I'm not trying to start something here or anything but I do want to point out that creating a entire room, if not a set of room which it <i>could</i> end up being, who knows. <b>Is Not</b> a walk in the park. And as Tyrian has stated he has been busy with his exams and has not had the time to even start. Stating <i>"Would it be that hard to just create a description, all CoC applies to the room, just need a room description."</i> is a bit rude because with how much enthusiasm that Tyrian and a few other players have shown towards even having this place go up has been on good high levels. Just slapping together four walls, some tables with chairs, and a thing that serves you stuff on commands honestly isn't probably on there minds. I'm sure that when it's finished its going to be spectacular.

Even yourself commented you will post your ideas when you get the time, Tyrian said too he hasn't had the time did he not?

If you did not mean your post to come off in the direction that I responded to, well then sorry. But I'm not even part of the Ebberon campaign rally here because I don't know anything about it but even I got offended by the tone of the post.

cameroth

First Post
Eberron Setting

I think if an Eberron room does get started, the most likely setting for it would be The City of Towers itself..it allows the most diverse races and classes of characters, plus it provides possible adventures in both urban and wilderness settings. The carpe dm already exists, so as far as demons, devils and other extraplanar creatures go, they can be allowed in there without violating en worlds current restrictions while still allowing a wide variety of creature type characters to still mingle in and around Sharn. It makes perfect sense to me and i personally think more people would enjoy adventuring in an Eberron setting because of the simple fact that less restrictions on character types would be needed.

Jeajea

First Post
To my mind, it's not possible to set an Eberron room anywhere -other- than Sharn, not least because Sharn offers some really interesting unique stuff. Having said that, all of Eberron has cool stuff, by and large. Mmm, Eberron. Je t'aime Eberron. Anyhow. If you ask me, Eberron is hard to classify as high or low fantasy. Really, it's more a fantasy - noire - punk blend type thing. It has a lot of style... things like demons walking around openly breaks the setting though, so it's more low fantasy than anything else, which puts in in the same league as the Roads. Let me see... yes, like the Roads in terms of restrictions in some ways, but in some ways more open like the Bazaar or Rotunda. Perhaps it's more like our Waterdhavian locale, then? I'm just thinking outloud, really...

Imreis

First Post
Just a small reminder guys. Every setting on Enworld as its on unique rules - as well as following the base code of conduct. Racial restrictions are setting restrictions not a whole all around CoC restriction. So if the Ebberon setting is made then im sure the Magi will inform us of what the setting rules will be for it :p. Dont be so worried about what restrictions it may have before its even up. As was once said. "don't count all your chickens before they hatch".

Magatsu

First Post
The only way the room is going to be any more defined then a description and a bot for serving, is if you start a SITE and completely elaborate or start some huge thread explaining everything, the rules of eberron are close to the same and more open then Oerth, and almost as open as Toril. You can take my posts as ya like, just like this one, it wasn't ment offensively though. *shrugs*

If it is, making a site for it, or, crafting a huge thread on the boards then that is above and beyond since the other rooms just have each a thread for boards, ic - occ. Thats about it.

I still think its as easy as making a a description. The setting rules are the magi's calls and would probably be like Toril or the bazaar, I would have thought. So not much needed there. Half the time no one looks to deeply into the room descriptions, or goes to the -links- for further info, if any at all.

Willow_Calypso

First Post
Magatsu said:
The only way the room is going to be any more defined then a description and a bot for serving, is if you start a SITE and completely elaborate or start some huge thread explaining everything, the rules of eberron are close to the same and more open then Oerth, and almost as open as Toril. You can take my posts as ya like, just like this one, it wasn't ment offensively though. *shrugs*

If it is, making a site for it, or, crafting a huge thread on the boards then that is above and beyond since the other rooms just have each a thread for boards, ic - occ. Thats about it.

I still think its as easy as making a a description. The setting rules are the magi's calls and would probably be like Toril or the bazaar, I would have thought. So not much needed there. Half the time no one looks to deeply into the room descriptions, or goes to the -links- for further info, if any at all.

The majority of the settings have additional information available by outsourced links from the site either at the top of the page or in the room description.

So there is no reason to diminish peoples excitement or hard work by being impatient and saying, "Just throw it out already!". There is already individuals devoting their spare time to this project. It'll happen when it happens, being negative about it isn't going to make it happen any faster. In all actuality it'll probably make those hard working individuals jaded and the idea canned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Earlier in this thread I posted a sample description for an Eberron type room, not to just 'throw a description together' but to gauge interest and give a sample of what it 'could' be like. A final version of the room I suspect would take a lot more planning, and consideration, which is what I'm working on now - slowly. Again, I'm not working on it so as to be used as a final product - but to give more ideas to a final product when a coordinator is chosen to host the setting. My hope is a mixture of many ideas would be used in such a setting, should it be made.

Currently, my major concerns are with finding a suitable locale that captures both the pulp action mood of adventure Eberron offers, AND the noir undertone. I agree wholeheartedly with Jea and Cameroth that if it was to be made, it should be based in Sharn. I've been hunting through the City of Sharn source material for suitable locals that capture both tones of Eberron (and designing my own locals as well inside Sharn to try and capture both undertones as well, but to little luck so far - may post something when I have a little more in the way of 'complete' ideas).
That all said, its still a long way away. Generating ideas in the mean time will hopefully let the magi know there is still an interest in it, and speed along decision making once a room gets approved (if it does).

Personally, I don't want to see just another 'tavern' setting or another 'market' setting. Although they are popular, I (personally) would like to see an Eberron setting with something a bit more... well, funky. Eberron (and especially Sharn) is weird in that kind of way that I wouldn't put it past it to be capable of extreme leaps for a room locale. Maybe an airship restaurant that flies around Sharn (to both the higher and lower points) to drop off and pick up patrons, with an awesome back deck for rowdy fights on the bow of an airship, elemental ring flaming behind.

Of course, this is just my personal preference, and that was just a 'funky' idea I plucked out of my head at random as an example. Maybe other people prefer the idea of a simple tavern, or skyway market place. That’s what throwing out ideas is for though, and that’s what the purpose of this thread is. Technical necessities such as setting restrictions come later, after the room gets approved (as I learned earlier in this thread).

Remove ads