• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron: Shadows of the Last War

IronWolf

blank
Lost within the ruined House Cannith citadel of Whitehearth, an arcane workshop somewhere in the perilous Mournland, is the key to constructing a terrible magic weapon. Agents of the Emerald Claw will stop at nothing to recover the ancient device. As malevolent forces hunt for the artifact, only the most resourceful heroes will reach Whitehearth first and discover the secrets that lie within.

Shadows of the Last War is a stand-alone adventure for the Dungeons & Dragons game that will immerse your characters in the Eberron campaign setting. Designed to challenge 2nd-level D&D heroes, it pits them against one of Eberron’s most nefarious organizations.

Take advantage of the RPGA’s Player Rewards Program by scoring points with this adventure.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Once upon a time, Wizards - and, before them, TSR – produced adventures on a regular basis for D&D. However, because of the small profit margins on adventures, in recent days they have mainly left the production of adventures up to the various d20 System publishers and Dungeon Magazine.

This policy hasn't changed, but with the launch of their new campaign setting, Eberron, Wizards have taken the opportunity to showcase their new world in three brand new adventures. Shadows of the Last War is the first of these.

In actual fact, that's not quite true: there are four adventures. The first, The Forgotten Forge, is in the Eberron Campaign Setting. The second adventure is the one I'm reviewing today, Shadows of the Last War, and the final two adventures will be out by early 2005.

Although Shadows of the Last War may be used as a stand-alone adventure, and possibly even not in Eberron, I do feel that you would be cheating yourself if you used it that way. It follows upon the events of The Forgotten Forge, and sets up events that will be resolved in the two later adventures. You could use it as a stand-alone, but it seems far more enjoyable and downright fun as part of the series.

Shadows of the Last War is interesting in how it showcases Eberron. Written by the creator of Eberron, Keith Baker, Shadows of the Last War takes the characters across the continent of Khorvaire and into the mysterious Mournland, there to investigate a ruined artificer's workshop and discover artifacts that their patron seeks.

Much as in a good pulp/noir book or movie, there are other forces acting against the player characters. There are some elements in this module that make me want to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Maltese Falcon again just to get the right spirit of things. It is a solid adventure to begin with, but played in the proper spirit, should become exceptional.

The adventure does require reference to the Eberron Campaign Setting for some elements – primarily a map of the wilderness and some magic item descriptions. It provides wilderness, city and dungeon adventuring, although some elements of the module are not quite as fleshed out as you might expect. The basics of the adventure are very well done, but the DM will need to improvise if the players move too far from the outlines. I do not see this as too much of a problem, however.

The module is somewhat short at 32 pages. Keith Baker estimates that it should take two sessions (or about 8 hours) to complete. The design is not of a dense dungeon crawl, but of several different acts in different location. I think this design is a positive, as the players will not become bored with an endless dungeon.

In addition to the adventure itself, Shadows of the Last War comes with a 16-page short-story booklet: Death at Whitehearth by Keith Baker. This describes events in the main adventure location (Whitehearth) during the Last War. I greatly enjoyed this story, as it does help you understand the world of Eberron and the implications of the adventure. There should be no problems with the players reading this story before playing in the module, in fact, I would advise such.

So, what do I like about the adventure? It has interesting traps and tricks, a variety of encounter locations, lots of role-playing opportunities and intelligent opposition. Don't discount that last - it's hard to write well or effectively.

Where the adventure may fall down is in its somewhat linear quality. I do feel there are many opportunities for differences in player approach, but the final dungeon really feels like "Do A to get to B which allows you to do C to get to D."

I do think that the biggest problem with the module is certain assumptions about the survival of NPCs. Of course, it is most likely that all will go as planned, but some advice about what to do if the players derail this should have been included.

The last encounter has the biggest problems with it: although it makes some provisions for different player behaviours, there is one assumption it makes that is utterly unwarranted, and could seriously derail further adventures in the line. This is a great pity - of course, it is most likely that the players act as the adventure expects, but players will be players...

Physically, the module is moderately attractive without being stunning. It is very nice to see portraits of all the main NPCs in the module, although I do not personally like the style they were drawn in.

I was especially pleased to see the maps drawn both aligned to a grid and with the grid at a sensible scale. The one problematic map is that of the Broken Anvil Inn - why is most of it aligned diagonally compared to the grid?

Although the font for the bulk of the module is fine, I am not so pleased with the italic text which is mainly used for descriptions to be read to the players - I found it a little difficult to read easily.

Despite those niggles, I do consider this a worthy adventure, and a good continuation of the Eberron line.

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
Alignment
I’m a freelance editor for Wizards of the Coast. I had no involvement with the making of the Shadows of the Last War, nor do I have any stake in its success or failure. This review contains fewer spoilers than the marketing blurb on the back of Shadows of the Last War.

Initiative Round
Shadows of the Last War is the first 32-page adventure released for the Eberron Campaign Setting. It is a staple-bound softcover with a color cover and black-and-white interior. A separate short story, Death at Whitehearth, is included with the adventure, detailing an occurrence at one of the adventure sites before the end of the Last War. Eberron creator Keith Baker wrote the adventure and story. The package retails for $9.95.

Physical production value has always been Wizards’ strength, and Shadows of the Last War is no exception. The layout, art, and maps are all good. The cover is by Wayne Reynolds and would have been better if the graphic design had facilitated being able to see more of it. A few more maps, such as one of Rhukaan Draal (or even just the Bloody Market), would have made the module more useful, especially since the inside cover is totally blank in this volume.

The adventure itself carries on the action started in The Forgotten Forge—the scenario included in the Eberron Campaign Setting. 2nd-level heroes take on the task of helping the enigmatic Lady Elaydren d’Cannith recover parts of a schema for manufacturing some secret weapon. This time, the explorers have a monumental task. They must enter the Mournland, uncover the location of a hidden House Cannith enclave (Whitehearth), and acquire an item located inside. Doing so requires the characters to travel from Sharn to Darguun, into the Mournland, and back to Sharn. More than one nefarious group stands in the way, as do the dangers of Darguun and the Mournland.

Shadows of the Last War provides a complete structure for the adventure and more than enough for a creative DM to turn into a personalized campaign piece. That type of personalization is really required here. Like the adventure path provided by the modules released during 3rd Edition (Sunless Citadel, et al), Shadows of the Last War needs some smoothing and filling in by the DM’s able hand. This isn’t something you can use off the cuff. In no way do I consider this fact a weakness, because adventures always require preparation and customization.

Critical Hit
The central story in this adventure is good. It provides all sorts of great points that would make the scenario a good movie or novel—and a few things that make it a good Eberron supplement. There are cool opponents, situations in which wisdom is more important than sword arms, exotic locales, puzzles and obstacles that make sense, and excellent rewards. Inside, the DM also gets a good look at aspects of the campaign used creatively, new magic items (including an elemental vehicle), and even a new spell that’s essential to the story. Some preparation by the DM will make the framework provided by Shadows of the Last War a memorable journey. I will use this adventure in my Eberron campaign and with only a few changes.

Critical Fumble
The editing for Shadows of the Last War is fair at best and some of the rules presented in the Eberron Campaign Setting appear to have been ignored. In the first part of the adventure, a situation is presented in which the Search skill must be used in a way that makes a lot of sense for an experienced DM, but violates the parameters of and limitations imposed by the Investigate feat. Treasure and rewards seem to far exceed the challenges offered by the adventure, even though some of those challenges seem too dangerous even with the consideration of action points. Some undead in the scenario have mysterious bonuses to their hit points that are either in error or lack adequate explanation. Finally, the climax of the adventure just barely avoids robbing the heroes of some form of victory (which would violate Keith Baker’s own recommendations in his Dragonshards column), and only because of luck on the part of the heroes and foolishness on the part of the villain.

Coup de Grace
Shadows of the Last War is a good adventure. Some of the mechanics usage, statistics, and the balance of challenges and rewards are questionable—a DM who’s a stickler for such things needs to be careful. The module will only be used once by any single gaming group, but it provides more than one thing that will live on in the campaign. An attractive book, Shadows of the Last War is priced right for the entertainment value it is likely to provide. If you’re looking for a useful scenario that reveals some of the nuances of the Eberron setting, Shadows of the Last War is for you.

Review originally appeared at d20 Magazine Rack.

olshanski

First Post
Shadows of the Last War--written by Keith Baker
The criteria I use to evaluate a d20 adventure includes the following:
1. Interesting and varied encounters: I look for unique encounters, allowing for a variety of role and roll playing.
2. Motivations for NPCs and Monsters: or some detail of how they interact with their environment or neighbors.
3. Logical: the adventure should obey a sense of logic that clever players can use to their advantage.
4. Writing Quality: this includes foreshadowing, mystery, and descriptions that bring locations and NPCs to life.
5. Ease of DMing: Clear maps, friendly stat blocks, skill check numbers, player handouts and illustrations.
I don't give much weight to text density and cost per page... I'd rather pay a lot for a small clever mystery than pay a little for a huge repetitive monster bash. I don't give much weight to new monsters, prestige classes, and magic items... they can add a little variety to an adventure, but I consider them to be only decoration.
*important* I'd like to think that I am authoring an adventure for a 3rd party publisher. I don't believe that my review is biased, but thought you should know.
THE BASICS: (not exactly spoilers) The adventure is 32 pages long, cover price of $9.95 American.
1 page of credits
1 pages of background
8 pages of city adventure
9 pages of adventure in outdoor ruins
4 pages of wilderness(travel) adventure
9 pages of underground dungeon adventure

All of these pages break down into the following encounters:
Approximately 10 combat encounters.
Approximately 5 roleplay/negotiation encounters.
Approximately 2 trap encounters.
Approximately 2 puzzle encounters.
Approximately 7 exploring encounters (interesting things to examine)
Approximately 2 "overpowering" encounters in which the players must use stealth or retreat.

The adventure is fairly straightforward "find the macguffin". The players are asked to recover a schema, they must travel to get it, they find it. The investigation, travel, locations, and action are quite exciting. It reminds me of the saying "it isn't what you do, its how you do it," and this adventure does it in style.

THE SPECIFICS: (Some Spoilers Follow)
1. Interesting and varied encounters: (4/5)The adventure gets very high marks for the good negotiation encounters. The different people to meet bring a lot of life to the adventure. There is also a very nice variety in city, overland travel, ruins, and dungeon encounters. The overpowering encounters were well broadcast and there was not much chance of a smart group getting trigger-happy. Over half of the combats involved creatures without brains or anatomy (skeletons, zombies, constructs). There were a lot of variations on "wolf" encounters, with skeletal wolves, normal wolves, a dire wolf, and a half-golem wolf. If there were a few more creatures with anatomy, and perhaps some interesting environmental effects (balconies, rivers, wind, etc)... then this would have been a 5 out of 5.
2. Motivations for monsters and NPCs: (4/5)This was pretty good. The opponents with minds did have personalities. The NPCs and opponents had good personalities with believable motives. The vampiric priest "Garrow" is a especially well done, as was the driver Failin. I will digress for a moment to talk about "intrigue." Intrigue seems to be an important element that Ebberon is trying to capture... with the various factions and whatnot. I believe it is possible to write very interesting adventures with intrigue... but this adventure did not have it. The employer claims to work for one faction, but really she works for a different faction. Perhaps it will come into play much later in the series... but for the purposes of this adventure, there is no difference between someone working for faction A, and people working for faction B. The fact that things are happening behind the scenes may be interesting for the DM, but it certainly has no impact on this adventure.
3. Logical: (3/5)For the most part, this was fine with a few exceptions: There was a fairly easy puzzle that the PCs are expected to solve, but a crew of reasonably intelligent NPCs couldn't figure out. As players, we wondered why the bad guys were hanging out when they clearly should have been able to solve the puzzle. There was an attack by skeletons (see "Flaws" below), that didn't seem to make much sense. One NPC ally (Rorsa) asked the party to help her fight a battle in which she was virtually assured of victory even without the party's help.
4. Writing Quality: (4/5)The writing is evocative. The scenes come to life. There was excellent imagery in the ruins of the village covered with glass. There people and places had good names. There was good use of foreshadowing... when players try to predict what is going to happen, and are sometimes correct, you know you are on the right track. There were some nice little touches that were not overdone. The glass-covered zombies stood out as an eerie encounter. The scenes were interesting and brought to life with the writing. On the down side, the DM noticed that some flavor text was cut and pasted directly from the Ebberon Campaign Setting.
5. Ease of DMing: (4/5) There is italicized text which can be read aloud to players. There are no illustrations or handouts. The monster stats and maps are included in the text. In an adventure this short, there is almost no page flipping. The linear layout of the encounters makes this a breeze to run. The action started immediately and the pace kept up from event to event... there was little chance of the players getting off-track. It was linear, which makes things easy for the DM, but it also had many elements of a traditional action movie... you sort of knew what was going to happen next, but were enjoying the ride. This would have been a 5 out of 5, except for a few flaws described below.

Playtest Results: (Major spoilers from here on down)
The playtest was entertaining. The adventure moved quickly. The combat at sea with the skeletons was a close match becuase the party was unprepared (no armor), One combat in the ruined city (R3) was a very even match, with most of the PCs taking some damage and using most of thier spells. One combat in the Mournlands with a Carcass Crab was very dangerous... knocking out two players. Most of the other combat encoutners seemed quite easy. The adventure lasted for 3 sessions, each was about 4-5 hours long. Some of the elements were almost "too" cinematic. An encounter with "Faelin" seemed to be taken right out of the cantina scene in the original Star Wars. A map room in an archeological dig was an homage to the original Raiders of the Lost Ark. The final encounter in Part 6 was actually predicted by the players well before it happened... I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Flaws:
The adventure had a number of flaws, some glaring, some not so bad. I can overlook two or three flaws in a larger adventure (96+ pages), but in a 32 page adventure, especially one so linear, (and published by WOTC) there shouldn't be this many mistakes. I did not go over all of the stat blocks with a fine tooth comb, but I looked at the stats for two opponents (dwarf zombies and stone wolf), and neither of them seemed to have accurate stats.

First Flaw: While a ship is at sea, it is attacked by a swarm of skeletons. The skeletons were sent by a necromancer to attack the party. Some obvious questions arise: how do skeletons (which presumably are not the best swimmers) get on a galleon at sea? They are unlikely to be swimming, the galleon is not scraping along the bottom of the water... how does a necromancer even know where the ship is to send his skeletons? How does the necromancer arrive or leave? Who is the necromancer and what level is he? How can the skeletons catch up to the ship? If this encounter was meant to happen while the ship is docked, that would be fine... but it happens while the ship is at sea (the crew must maintain thier posts). The encounter was certainly exciting, but it raises many questions that cannot be answered... this was highly frustrating for the players. (in the playtest, the players demanded that all of the crew and passengers be interrogated, etc...)

Second Flaw: There is an awakened dire wolf "Rorsa" that asks for assistance against a half stone-golem wolf that has imprisoned some of her pack. You would expect the half stone-golem wolf to be a serious combatant if an awakened dire wolf cannot conquer it. It turns out that the half stone-golem wolf is a CR 4 monster with only 17 hit points. This was built up to be a fairly significant combat... a mini-mission, if you will, but during the playtest it was dropped in one hit by a barbarian shifter (though it was a spear set vs a charge). A CR4 creature that is meant to be a brawler simply must have more than 2 hit dice and 17 hit points. I looked closely at the creature because I assumed that the DM must have made a mistake. It turns out that it is a construct with HD 2d8+8 (constitution of 19). Ok, perhaps I am not familiar with the half-golem type, it might be a template in a book that I don't own... but according to the Monster Manual, a medium construct should be using 2d10+20 hit dice and it should not have a constitution score. A "battler" type opponent should have a CR that is 1/2 to 1/3 its hit dice... not a CR that is double its hit dice. As long as I am mentioning this, there were dwarf zombies with 2d12+10 hit dice. I don't know how they are coming up with these numbers... Just for the heck of it, I ran a few sample combats between Rorsa and the stone wolf. Even if Rorsa loses initiative and fails the save vs slow effect, she still easily wins every time.

Third Flaw: There is a very nifty "trick" in the dungeon, in which keycharms are used to navigate an underground complex. This would have earned fairly high marks, but for two sort of blunders. Logic indicates that in a complex like this, keycharms would have different colors for a reason... perhaps brown keycharms for "utility" rooms, blue keycharms for regular people, and red keycharms for "officers". You would expect that a keycharm that allowed access to the officer's rooms would also allow access to the regular rooms, so that people didn't have to carry around handfulls of different keys... but this was not the case. That isn't my beef with the rooms yet. The first problem is that based on the layout, if someone had only a green keycharm, they could to travel from room W2 to W4 to W16... but then not be able to return because the return route requires blue keycharms... it is sort of a one-way passage unless you have both keys. This is a design problem that the people creating the structure would have considered. The second problem with this whole setup is that the adventure had two rooms behind a yellow keyed door... but there were no yellow keys in the adventure! There is a slim chance that the characters might have been expected to burrow through the steel walls, but that seems unlikely. Condidering this, you should discount one combat encounter and one exploration encounter from my index at the top of this review.(perhaps someone with a better eye can see the place where the yellow key is listed, I guess when that happens I'll eat my hat.)

Fourth Flaw: This is not so much a flaw, but in a fairly climactic battle in room W22, there were a pair of fire elementals. On the far side of the room was a locked chest with a pair of potions of resist energy (fire). The adventure says "the treasure contained within could play a critical role in the character's surviving the encounter". A good rule of thumb is that most combats will be over in 3 rounds, and few will ever pass 5 rounds. If players are expected to make use of those potions: they will use up 1 or 2 rounds simply moving to the chest, at least 1 round to pick the lock (assuming they are successful), one round to extract the potions, and another round to use a potion. The potions are certainly not going to be used in the battle for room W22. If the potions were adjacent to the door in an unlocked chest, there is a possibility they would be used in the combat.

Fifth Flaw: The adventure had a LOT of treasure considering the scope. This was enough encounters to get a party from 2nd level to nearly 4th level.. the treasure included: a +1 longsword, a handy haversack, a +1 steel shield, a +1 light mace, a double-bladed intelligent sword, a cloak of resistance, a pearl of power, 3000 gp in rewards, and another 3000 gp in miscellanous treasure, potions, masterwork items, etc... all said nearly 20,000 gp in treasure. This isn't a totally serious flaw... the playtest group sold most of the magic at 1/2 price, so that balanced things out a little.

FINAL WORD:
Clean up the flaws, and this is easily a high 4 out of 5.

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
Nice review! I'm glad to see a playtest review, unlike mine, which was a read-through/judgement sort of thing. Very valuable work here. Thanks!

Psikonetic

First Post
Awesome review, beats those two small paragraphs about what someone likes/dislikes. Love how it's broken down and evaluated, keep it up!

What a fantastic indepth review olshanski! I have this adventure and plan to run it in the near future. I've read it over once but with your review I can take a lot more into consideration when I run it. I will be making some changes to encounters/treasure based on your review.
Keep up the good work mate.
Later
H. Uberlich

NhojOMundo

First Post
I would NOT recommend players reading the story before playing the adventure. At least read it yourself first before deciding to share it.

<spoilers>

They would find out about the key system. They get a preview of many of the rooms, including the war machine chamber. They would be given lots of disturbing information about House Cannith, whom they are working for. They might decide to avoid the adventure entirely if they take a dislike to Cannith.

Remove ads