Eberron: The all Abberant Dragonmark Campaign

Crothian

First Post
Kaodi said:
I must beseech you to make the great and powerful villain a House Vadalis wizard who is doing research into Aberrant bloodlines (breeding being a Vadalis family pastime and all).

Done!! :cool:

Crothian

First Post
Grymar said:
I don't know if it is your cup of tea, but the Abberant marks are known (rumors) to be associated with insanity. You could always apply sanity points (with or without player's knowledge) to each use of their mark.

I like the idea but I don't think the players will want to go for that. I will play up the instability of NPCs with the marks though.

Crothian

First Post
I turned character creation for this up on it's head.

We started with a Stat Draft. That gave us some odd characters like one guy with three attributes 16 or higher and the other three 10 or lower.

Next, the characters are level zero. What this means is they have no class levels. So I took their race and where they are from and I base their BAB, saves, skill points, class skills, HP, everything off of that. And everyone got a bonus feat, but it is used to get the Aberrant Dragonmark since that is a requirement.

So far I have a mourner who is going to be a Dragon Shaman (the PHB2 class) and a half elf from Wroat that wants to be a Ninja (from CA). I encouraged people to take something not of the regular PHB. :D

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Interesting you mention it...
Our party is an "Aberrant Dragonmark" party. (To facilitate this, we each got the feat as a freebie to start, in addition to normal starting feats.)

IWe have a Xendrik'ian Rogue, a Warforged Sorcerer, and a Human Ranger.

Intersting thing is, we each DM at differnent points of the campaign, so we all have a smaller piece of the greater campaign arc. (We each came up with Plot Hooks for our own characters, and the other two characters in the party, so each character has three potential storylines to pursue.)

For instance, one of the other players during brainstorming, decided that my Warforged Sorcerer (who I decided during character creation desperately wants to be human), has amnesia, and remembers nothing before "waking up" at the Rangers estate very recently. (The Ranger is the illegitimate son of a minor Dragonmarked house.)

Sounds confusing, and requires a lot of faith in your fellow gamers, but it's been very rewarding thus far. (Of course, having such a small party certainly helps facilitate this style of play!)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Sounds like something The Twelve would be interested in. The PC's could be seen as a source of power or experimentation fodder, and have to go into hiding in the lowest depths of Sharn. If any of them are actually related to a true Dragonmarked house, I'd bet the House would send assassins after them (good recurring villains).

Crothian

First Post
One of the PCs so far is the product of two houses intermingling. The rest haven't decided yet. This will involve many of the Houses and the Twelve could become involved. But at the beginning no one knows about them except for House Tarkanan which they will be trying to join.

JPL

Adventurer
I assume you have "Dragonmarked"? An awful lot of good stuff for folks with aberrant dragonmarks.

Keith Baker wrote a great article for Dragon a few months back dealing with "dragonmarked sorcerers", who either (a) manifest dragonmark-like markings and have a spell list consistent with the core powers of one of the houses, or (b) have strange ties to one of the three "Dragons".

Either one would work nicely....in particular, you could go with (a) and have a character who develops terrible necromantic powers, as his weird mark covers more and more of his body...is this the return of the Mark of Death?

Last edited:

Remove ads