[Eberron] What happened to Cyre?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Like I said, they (Cyrans) asked Orcus, Graz'zt and Demorgogon over to party. It got out of hand. Blammo, Mournlands! :D ;)

Reveal,

Yeah well Sin City in our world could only wish Graz'zt would show up. Cyrans out did that by a good dozen miles. ;)

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Mournland options.

1. Cause:
A. Natural/Planer Phenonom
B. Artifact/Spell
C. Act of Deitiy(s)
D. Some Combination of above

2. Created/Discovered By:
A. Dragons
B. Demons (Lords of Dust)
C. Giants
D. House Cannith
E. House Phiarlan
F. Lord of Blades
G. Dreaming Dark
H. Vol
I. Cult of the Dragon Below (Abberant Races)
J. Children of Winter
I. Other

3. Triggered:
A. Accidental
B. Intentional
C. Destined

4. Triggered By:
A. Same as "Created/Discovered By"
B. Different than "Created/Discovered By"
C. No Trigger

5. Origionated:
A. Glass Plateau
B. Glowing Chasm
C. Cannith Facility
E. Other

Last edited:

The interesting pieces I gleaned from the 5 Nations on the subject are.. odd.

First, the Day of mourning may have initiated in a city that was known to be the 'Area 51' and birthplace of the first Cyrian Warforged. Now located buried in the sea of glass... which may be growing. {Couple this tidbit with kowledge of a certain Eldtrich Machine in one of the published modules :) }

Second, the Capitol city, far away from aforementioned epi-center, was rapidly subsumed by the grey-cloud, apparently being a secondary epi-center. Some survivors from across the nations boundry were witness to this. Some even claimed that the mists initially emanated from the Castle towers.

Third.. and most odd.. that the mists confined themselves *exactly* to the current dates political boundry. {Not sure if this is a writer not thinking clearly, but the same book mentions that Cyre's boundry lines were in a major state of flux, from day to day if not hour to hour.} Arcane magics do not have the capability to be this based in human society...

So.. my reading of the mystery is thus: Divine intervention into an arcane process that may have involved infusion of planar matter into an Edlritch Machine.. that is currently buried but still working, deep in the sea of glass. The arcane process was in its final phase and was being completed in conjunction by both the Magewrights of House Cannith and the royal Sorcerer {via a complicated ritual spell casting}. The planar matter is still seeping in through a not completely closed portal and will eventually spread across the entire face of Eberron!

That intervention could have been initiated by a number of factions, but the primary 'supernatural' and well known agents are the Blood of Vol and the Silver Flame, both of which have had, and still have, issue with Cyre.
The Lords of the Duct may have been involved in passing the correct, and appropriately adjusted, information to inspire this action.

As campaign information, the above 3 bits of info should be relatively common knowledge to those looking into the situation. As such, both the Church of the Silver Flame and Karnnath would have proclamations out ensuring thier innocence in the matter and pledging support to the discovery of the true cuplrit...whether they beleive these 3 facts to be true. Safer to protect against ignorance :)

eh.. or not. This is just one potential explanation.. altho one I will/am using in my game. The Delkyr want access to the Eldtrich Machine as it may be able to open a portal to Xoriat as well.. thats my meta-plot.. and fortunately tied only to what the Delkyr think happened, so any 'revalation' by WOTC can't screw with my campaign :)

Glyfair

Explorer
Amy Kou'ai said:
Erm, I believe that the creation of the Mournland is what we would refer to as a Rigidly Defined Area of Doubt and Uncertainty. Just like the origin of the Lord of Blades. Theoretically, they're trying to avoid metaplot revelations so that the GM can devise their own cataclysm.

Keith has said that the whole what and why of the Day of Mourning isn't going to have an official answer given by WotC. That's one of those mysteries that are going to remain in the setting.

This doesn't mean that someday someone won't change their mind. However, it's the current intent.

That doesn't stop them from putting in a lot of hints and clues in various books. I'm sure they will end up pointing to contradictory theories, too.

stevelabny

Explorer
Here's part of my theory.

The war is going against Cyre. I also have a warforged related idea that would make House Cannith unsure of sticking around also*.
House Cannith found the warforged info from the giants in Xen'drik, and might have found out what the giants did to Dal Quor
The Mournland isn't one kind of effect. It is many. Its actually a little bit of all of the other planes.
House Phiarlann left, but the Cyran nobles and House Cannith leaders didn't? Hmm.

To me, this was a some sort of eldritch machine with area teleport. Somewhere on Dal Quor, or one of the other planes, or perhaps even the southern tip of Xen'drik or Argonessen... lies Cyre.
How well it worked, I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if many cities are in ruins, and people did die. But there are definitely survivors.

*My warforged concept that has Cannith scared is simple. Cannith believed that the warforged souls were coming from Dolurrh, but this isn't completely true. Some of the souls are coming from other planes, the souls of Quori or Daelkyr... and someone has figured out how to grant the "souls" power over the bodies. (and rebirth?)

Guys, it's sooooooo obvious.

Any time a mist is involved that flows outwards to the geographical boundaries of the area, only one thing could ultimately be responsible...

Cyre got sucked into Ravenloft.

Remove ads