• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EB's Tyranny of Dragons - OOC (full)

tglassy

Adventurer
I still need to get my character sheet up, I think.

How should I come in? What would everyone else do if a Drow suddenly emerged? Or if we’re together, how did we meet that I’ve been accepted already? People don’t trust Drow, typically...

Sent from my iPad using EN World

EarlyBird

Explorer
Good questions, and you may answer them however you wish. For now let's say you have your hood up your face in shadows and your hands gloved. You may not wish to reveal yourself till after you have performed some "heroic" deed. Will be plenty of them to be had, don't worry.

I would say as a wizard and venturing on the surface, your character may have tried to get into Candlekeep for any lore on the Cult of the Dragon. But was turned away. Not knowing the land you may have ended up meeting Farmer Hammar and Gutter on the road as you wondered east, knowing only that the cult is in or near Greenest.

A dragon attacking the small village is confirmation. And dangerous. lol

You could have followed Tina out of town and are lurking in the copse of trees watching Tina put on her armor when the others arrive. She may remember you as one of the patrons at the (now likely destroyed) tavern where she worked as a bar maid. She would then remember you being at least civilized (for a Drow :) )

depending on the level of trust you are looking for.

TallIan

Explorer
FINALLY got my character done, in hindsight I kinda wish I'd just gone with one of your pregen's, but hey it's done now.

Anyway, probably worth checking it over for mistakes - I'm sure there are still some. One question though, since I just copied and pasted, the to hit table has a string of 20s from AC 0 to AC -5, is that supposed to be that way and I'm missing a rule?

EarlyBird

Explorer
Yes it is correct the attack matrix says 20 THAC0 all the way to -5 then goes to needing a 21 to hit AC -6

Will keep pregens around in case of needing a back up.

The missing rule is that after the first 20, the rest REQUIRE a natural 20 on the die AND only magic can improve it above 20. No one I know ever played that strictly. And frankly if you are attacking something with a 21 or higher on the combat chart you are doomed regardless. But that's the rule.

TallIan

Explorer
I guess that is why I forgot that. I always wondered why people complained about the complexity of THAC0, it's only basic arithmetic. But if it doesn't follow the same formula all the way (even if only at theoretical extremes) I guess that will throw people.

THAC0 was 500% better than 18 19 20 20 20 20 20 21 22 23. If Zeb* had been brave, he would have flipped AC over like they did in 3rd ed.

* David "Zeb" Cook, lead on 2nd Ed AD&D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads