• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EB's Tyranny of Dragons - OOC (full)

EarlyBird

Explorer
I want to play as close to the books as possible to start and see how they(the rules) do with pbp. We will adjust things as we go.

Surprise does suck, but you can do a bunch of little things, like for every segment you beat the other group by you could move 1" (10 feet), start casting a spell or completely cast if you have enough segments. But it gets really weird and useless in a dozens of other situations, like both sides are surprise.

In this game I wish for everyone to describe what they wish to do then I'll post what actual occurs during the round. Them being a minute long makes the need for a lot of parries, feints, and circling.

TallIan

Explorer
...Charging means loss of Dex bonus to AC and that's too important for her...
Does it? I thought it was just a straight -2?

EDIT: Not sure what good it is to gain surprise if you can't move and attack? Unless you have a readied missile weapon, surprise is completely useless.
Not quite, it makes the charge action much more viable as you don't attract an attack of opportunity (I know it's not called that but that was quicker than explaining the rule).

On to William then, I'll edit his post with an OOC, I was trying to keep some narrative flowing, but it might be worth waiting to get used to the rules again, or make sure I've got an very clear OOC box with the post.

EarlyBird

Explorer
You do lose your DEX adj to AC in 1e. The good thing is if you kill the person you charged then no one else can strike you that turn as they will need to move into melee, there is no five foot step in 1e. Even if you move five feet it is still moving into combat and thus your turn.

I think walking around with crossbows may be the best bet for low level characters.

TallIan

Explorer
You do lose your DEX adj to AC in 1e. The good thing is if you kill the person you charged then no one else can strike you that turn as they will need to move into melee, there is no five foot step in 1e. Even if you move five feet it is still moving into combat and thus your turn.
I thought I'de just looked that up, but must have been on the wrong edition again. Is this the one you are using?
STK463896

I think walking around with crossbows may be the best bet for low level characters.[/QUOTE]
I'm thinking something like that too, I might have to go with throwing a Javelin

EarlyBird

Explorer
That's the book I am looking at right now, haha.

Page 62 talks about DEX reaction adjustment. The players handbook says that the reaction adjustment/missile attack is only used for surprise situations as well.

TallIan

Explorer
Page 62 looks like the encounter building rules (How I do miss all those tables though)?

Page 86 explains combat actions and only mentions a -2 penalty when charging. It also mentions a 5 foot step. All this is making me remember that you had to play the game not your character.

EarlyBird

Explorer
I have no ideal what your looking at. I just went through all my DMGs (I don't own 4e) and none of them had encounter charts. -2 to AC for charging sounds like 3e.

And I don't want anyone playing the rules, you need to decide if your character is a slow/cautious fighter. Or a charging berzerker that hacks his way through whatever gets in his path. I think the rules in 1e (while being a lot) are really only around for the randomness of the game. So that there is a chance to fail at everything, however slim... Climb Walls 95% - lol you could roll that 97 and fall.

TallIan

Explorer
I typed 62 into the pdf reader, which took me to page 57 of the book. Scrolling down there were a bunch of tables Untitled.png which brought back fond memories.

Anyway, I'll try and put my control freakness in the box for this game ;P

I typed 62 into the pdf reader, which took me to page 57 of the book.
That looks like the typeface for one of the Basic D&D versions. Not the AD&D DMB written by Gary.

EB's page looks like my beat up old book.

Charging is on page 66.

And rereading two weapon fighting on page 70, Tina definitely should pick up a dagger. It gives her an addition strike at -1 for 1d4+3 damage.

Remove ads