• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ECL 0 Fairy

Esiminar

Explorer
I am trying to develope an ECL 0 fairy player character race. As a base I have taken the Fairy from Mythic Races (by fantasy flight games) and removed the faerie fire and spell-like abilities. Commentary would be welcome.

Fairy Racial Traits

+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -4 Strength, -2 Constitution

Tiny sized

Base speed 30 feet. Fly speed 50 feet (good)

A Farie's Hit Die type is always d4, no matter what class he chooses.

Natural Invisability: Fairies can become invisible at will for 1d4 rounds as a free action. The fairy will remain invisible, even while attacking. After using the ability the fairy will be unable to use it again for another 1d20 rounds.

Favored Class: Sorcerer

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Invisibility as a Free action is too powerful. Invisibility as a Standard action is still very good... especially if it works an unlimited # of times per day.

Consider also that no ECL 0 race has a bonus to spellcasting ability scores, or flight. Tiny creatures should have a "normal" (ground) move of 15 ft, I think.

So, here's my version of your ECL 0 Fairy race:

Tiny sized
Speed: 15 ft., fly 30 ft (average)
+2 Dex, -4 Str, -2 Con
+4 Racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently
Fey Blood
Favored Class: Bard (Dragons get Sorcerer)

Then, add some new Feats:

Nature's Shroud
Prereq: Fey Blood
Bonus: The creature may become Invisible (as the spell, caster level = character level) once per day per character level. This is a spell-like ability, activated as a standard action.

Nature's Lure
Prereq: Fey Blood
Bonus: The creature may cast Charm Person or Animal (as the spell, caster level = character level) once per day per character level. This is a spell-like ability, activated as a standard action.

Quickling Flight
Prereq: Fey Blood, natural ability to fly, base Reflex save +3
Bonus: +10 ft move flying, maneuverability increases one catagory (from average to good, etc.)

... or Feats to grant whatever other traits you imagine powerful Fey might possess.

-- Nifft

Shalewind

First Post
I'd say this:

Fairy Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -4 Strength, -2 Constitution
Tiny sized
Base speed 30 feet. Fly speed 50 feet (good)
A Farie's Hit Die type is always d4, no matter what class he chooses.

Is all worth an ECL +1. Add on this:

Natural Invisability: Fairies can become invisible at will for 1d4 rounds as a free action. The fairy will remain invisible, even while attacking. After using the ability the fairy will be unable to use it again for another 1d20 rounds.

And it becomes an ECL +2 (maybe, maybe +3).

Nifft's suggestion is MUCH closer to ECL +0. It might be a +1 but, I'd give it too him for a +0.

Remember Tiny Sized has some great advantages. And the Invisibility thing is too powerful to put on ANY ECL +0. In what situation would a normal 1st level human be an equal match for something that was invisible?

Spatzimaus

First Post
There was a big long thread on this a while back, where someone wanted to make an Imp-based race with flight, invis at will, Tiny size, etc... most people felt it wouldn't even be close to balanced.

My opinion is that there's no way to make an ECL race that has flight.

Your original version there is just mind-numbingly good. As a Sorcerer, I have tons of extra benefits with no real drawbacks. Being Tiny is a GOOD thing, since you get an AC and attack bonus, the extra CHA/DEX are great for casters... there's just no downside. Improved Invis at will? Sheesh.

Nifft's version is far more balanced, but even his one is ECL +1 or more IMO. Your original version is at least a +4.

If you ever want to know roughly what ECL a race should be, use Soldarin's system at
http://soldarin.tripod.com/rpgpages/id5.html

It works far better than whatever system WotC uses.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Spatzimaus said:
If you ever want to know roughly what ECL a race should be, use Soldarin's system at
http://soldarin.tripod.com/rpgpages/id5.html

According to that, my version is:

+0.5 (Flight)
+1 (Tiny Size)
-0.4 (Ability Scores)
+0.4 (Skill Bonus)
-0.2 (hard to get armor due to body form)
-0.2 (normal vision)

... so basically without the Skill Bonuses, my version would be ECL +0 -- even with Low-Light Vision, which I completely neglected!

So, here's the class, Unofficially Officially ECL +0:

Fairy
Size: Tiny
Speed: 15 ft., 30 ft. fly (average)
Abilities: +2 Dex, -4 Str, -2 Con
Low-Light Vision
Fey Blood
Favored Class: Bard (Dragons get Sorcerer)
ECL: +0.7, round down = +0! parteeee!

-- Nifft

Esiminar

Explorer
I'm still thinking over most of the points made here but one thing I am certain about.

I don't trust any of the ECL calculators avaliable at various places on the net. I just calculated the race I used as a base and it turned out at ECL +2. Now in mythic races it is ECL +3 and I am much more likely to go with that concedering the product was extensivley playtested.

starwolf

First Post
Nifft's version is pretty close to a playable ECL 0. I think everyone's main concern is the flight ability. In order to minimize the advantahe that flight might give a character would be perhaps to adopt the following:

Fairy Flight:
Although many fey have the natural ability to fly, they by no menas have the ability to soar through the open skies and covort with the eagles and dragons. Fairy flight is limited to a height of no more than 10 ft. form the ground.

Hashmalum

Explorer
IIRC, Soldarin's ECL calculator was based off the ECLs listed in the Dungeon Master's Guide--many of which have subsequently been revised upward. I wouldn't trust it.

Michael Morris

First Post
Spatzimaus said:
My opinion is that there's no way to make an ECL race that has flight.

Well this isn't exactly flight, but it does involve wings..

Oyasi are female halflings... The male halflings are unchanged from the PHB. The idea is based off The Dark Crystal

The females of the Oyasini world are referred to as the oyasi. Their distinguishing characteristic is their wings, which can reach a span of up to 4 to 5 feet across. The wings are wisp thin, highly fragile and believed to be semi-magical, and they can be collapsed and hidden under flowing robes and cloaks.

Oyasi bone structure is more delicate than that of the males. They have a –2 adjustment to their constitution score.
So long as her wings are not bound in some way, an oyasi who is prepared for a fall can fall any distance without harm, covering the same distance each round as if feather fall where cast upon her. If she is caught off guard by a drop she will fall 30’ before her wings can snap into place, and it will take another 20 feet before her wings slow her fall to a safe speed. While falling in this manner the Oyasi can carry up to her own weight before the fall accelerates to a speed greater than her wings can compensate for. While she falls, she can move horizontally as if running (4x base move), and if she gets a run before she jumps she can increase her horizontal distance to 6x her base move each round she falls. An oyasi who comes under the effects of a levitate spell can fly outright as if fly had been used upon her.
In all other respects Oyasi are identical to the halflings in PHB.

Remove ads