Economy and D&D

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm, I never looked into the self-sufficiency rules or the Crafting for income rules. I've managed to avoid them so far, and I'll continue to.

I do take the approach, like you do, that the cost of hire listed (1 sp for common laborer) must be the full cost to the employer (PC), with no added extra costs.

If the food prices don't match, it must be because (waves hands) PC's get overcharged and live well. They buy everything at Whole Foods, not Costco like the peasants.

Yes, that's pretty much how I resolved it. Either the PCs are supping off luxuries or the merchants are raking in a fortune over-charging them.

If the Crafting prices don't match, it must be because (waves hands) PC's are rock stars, and peasants will over pay for a wooden spoon PERSONALLY made by SIR PAUL MCCARTNEY much more than anonymous Spoons-for-Less product.

A wooden spoon carved by Mordenkainen just makes gruel taste nicer, you know. :p

Hmm, maybe some sustaining spoon aren't actually magic, they are just so well Crafted you think that cardboard porridge is actually nutritious...

Loonook

First Post
I have been working on a little system to take into account caravans and delivery of goods using Magical Society: The Silk Road. So far? Pretty nice. I will probably be posting it in the near future to have people knock it around a bit with instructions.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Loonook

First Post
looking forward to seeing it!

Well gird your loins and be prepared to be mildly disappointed!

The system is pretty simple. The Random Caravan sheet contains exactly what it says on the tin. Put in your total carried caravan weight and it will generate a series of up to 19 random goods that are carried at random amounts by your caravan. It also includes a section that separates gems and precious metals from the total. It is set to allow up to a random percentage of your total cargo to be carried as gems, jewels, rare alloys, and materials.

The system also includes a Profit Calculator that takes the total caravan worth and calculates a percent based profit for all goods sold based on distance traveled. Below this is a suggested amount of cash to spend on the daily costs of the Caravan based on a percentage of total profit and available goods in a peaceful, contested, or wartime area. If you're carrying 50 lbs worth of rare fire opals you would want far more in the ways of protection than a cart of grain.

The totals do not, so far, factor in additional boosts based on current global conflicts, though that is pretty simple to factor yourself based on how much profit you want that Caravan to have.

The second sheet has the full list of trading goods and allows for random generation of chosen goods. You can remove the randomizer section for weights (Columns O-Q) and calculate your own numbers... Though of course that is the next step :).

This sheet has the same functionalities built in as the last one. Check it out, see what you would like added or subtracted and post!

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Attachments

• Silk Road Spreadsheet.xlsx
    60.8 KB · Views: 133

Remove ads