• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Edition Idol

Which is D&D to You? (Pick as Many as you want)

• Dungeons & Dragons (1974)

Votes: 131 61.8%
  • Basic (B/X)

Votes: 143 67.5%
  • Basic (BECMI, Rules Cyclopedia)

Votes: 148 69.8%
  • Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

Votes: 164 77.4%
  • Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition

Votes: 153 72.2%
  • Dungeons & Dragons (1999) aka 3e

Votes: 141 66.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Revised

Votes: 155 73.1%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition

Votes: 115 54.2%
  • OSRIC

Votes: 60 28.3%
  • Hackmaster

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • Pathfinder

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Castles and Crusades

Votes: 40 18.9%
  • Write In Candidate (Explain)

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 5 2.4%

Shemeska

Adventurer
EDIT: I also find it odd that every single one of the previous editions of "official" D&D/AD&D are higher than 4E. :eek: I suspect it's due to the nature of the poll, with 4E and Non-4E fans alike voting for each of the official editions, but with the "grogs" not reciprocating and voting for 4E.

If we accept that the fanbase is rather fractured over acceptance of 4e, it's not surprising to see that result.

That said, I expected more of a peak at OD&D, 1e, and 3.x, with more pronounced shallows at 2e and possibly 4e. That 2e is beating 4e is interesting.

Last edited:

That said, I expected more of a peak at OD&D, 1e, and 3.x, with more pronounced shallows at 2e and possibly 4e. That 2e is beating 4e is interesting.
OD&D being lower than any other edition until 4E can also be called "interesting". Not sure if you can call it "meaningful", however.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Probably because of the background material. For example, I voted for 2E to 4E. While I adore 4E as a streamlined fun system, I have to say that the 2E books (Planescape!) were among the most enjoyable flavour material for a RPG I've ever read.

Cheers, LT.

Old_Skool

Explorer
B/X and BECMI for me. What can I say? I am old, and I'm set in my ways.

Interesting poll. I am not surprised to see AD&D in the lead; of all of the editions it has the best history. It had the most interesting supplemental material of all of the other editions: Dark Sun, Menzoberranzan, Planescape, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, the list goes on. I don't have exact numbers, but I would wager that most of us who still enjoy the game today, have played AD&D at one time or another.

But I am surprised to see 4E so far behind all of the other editions, especially here at ENWorld. Of all of the other RPG boards that I frequent, only Wizards of the Coast is more "pro-4E."

Remathilis

Legend
Interesting...

At the time of posting: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1977) is the one true game. All other games are just poor imitations of the real thing.

Followed closely by 3.5!

B/X and BECMI for me. What can I say? I am old, and I'm set in my ways.

Interesting poll. I am not surprised to see AD&D in the lead; of all of the editions it has the best history. It had the most interesting supplemental material of all of the other editions: Dark Sun, Menzoberranzan, Planescape, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, the list goes on. I don't have exact numbers, but I would wager that most of us who still enjoy the game today, have played AD&D at one time or another.

But I am surprised to see 4E so far behind all of the other editions, especially here at ENWorld. Of all of the other RPG boards that I frequent, only Wizards of the Coast is more "pro-4E."
I still think it's like I said before:

• Pro-4E folks are voting for 4E AND previous editions.
  • Anti-4E folks are voting for previous editions, but NOT 4E.
Thus, I conclude that the reason previous editions are apparently "D&D" to more people is that thanks to the structure of this poll, previous editions get votes from everyone, but 4E doesn't. (Fluctuations between the various previous editions are likely due to folks only voting for editions they have actually experienced, regardless of their opinion of 4E.)

I base this on my experience that most pro-4E folks will never tell you they think previous editions weren't D&D, they just happen to think 4E is D&D, too. (Whether or not 4E is D&D is the major point of contention, obviously.)

Khuxan

First Post
Do you find it more or less odd than 3.5 being "more" D&D than Gygax' OD&D? ;)

I know you're being facetious, but I can understand Betote - and it's how I voted. The original D&D hadn't accumulated a lot of what makes D&D distinctive, and 3E and 4E culled a lot of that accumulated material. 3.5 didn't change "D&D" beyond the changes already made for 3.0, it just tweaked the rule system.

Remove ads