• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

eDragon: Starlock feats and powers

Drakhar

First Post
Dire Radiance is the weakest of the three pact powers IMO.

This requires some elaboration to begin to make sense to me. I agree that two fold curse seems overpowering though, especially when you can have multiple enemies cursed, perhaps even dropping at the same time. A Star/Infernal warlock for example would be deadly as they would get the temp hp from one enemy, and the rest would just add +1's, and this combo would be very viable for say a Dragonborn Warlock, with their minor action breath attack. Warlocks do however need a boost compared to their counterparts.

Yeesh! There is some really powerful stuff in that article. A free save EVERY time you hit (and damage, should you meet a radiant resistant foe, I suppose) with your Starlock's At-Will power AND when the target takes the secondary damage? And, by the wording, it can be any effect, even the ones I can't normally save against (that can't be the intention... then again...)? An extra Pact Boon AND an at-will? An extra daily power use for a feat? Crickey.

(BTW... picking up Twofold Pact as a multiclass character only gives you the At-Will power. Multiclass Warlocks never get Warlock's Curse.)

The feat that effectively gives reliable to all encounter powers at low levels should be moved up to Paragon tier, at least. The cost is too minor at low levels to be a Heoric feat, and you get too much benefit out of it, since you have so few Encounter powers to use.

The real problem with these feats, though, is their multiclassing applications. For the low, low cost of one Feat (Pact Initiate) a Wizard, Tactical Warlord, Artificer, and Swordmage, (And anyone that starts with at least 13 Int, I guess) gets the wonderful option to take the Student of the Athanaeum feat to gain an extra daily power use throughout the day. A laser-cleric or Paladin gets a chance to give themselves a save nearly (if not every) every round if they pick up Pact Initiate and Starfire Womb.

Lastly, I also am not a fan of the Race-Class feats. Too restrictive and too powerful, imo. Fire damage is too common of a damage type to have that high of a permament resistance.

The powers (at least on my quick glance) seem fine, as does the Epic Destiny (other than radiant-fire damage...). The Paragon Path looks a little powerful, but it's nothing compared to the feats.

DracoSuave

First Post
The real problem with these feats, though, is their multiclassing applications. For the low, low cost of one Feat (Pact Initiate) a Wizard, Tactical Warlord, Artificer, and Swordmage, (And anyone that starts with at least 13 Int, I guess) gets the wonderful option to take the Student of the Athanaeum feat to gain an extra daily power use throughout the day. A laser-cleric or Paladin gets a chance to give themselves a save nearly (if not every) every round if they pick up Pact Initiate and Starfire Womb.

So, as opposed to before, there's actually a -reason- to MC into warlock, as opposed to before where the benefits were minimal at best, barring some very specific builds.

Runestar

First Post
The new paragon path also seems neat for paladins, who can also benefit immensely from the ability to crit on 18-20 with their own radiant powers. Funny how some PPs seem to benefit other classes as much as, if not more than their own.

Maybe a ranged pally build isn't that far off the horizon.:)

So, as opposed to before, there's actually a -reason- to MC into warlock, as opposed to before where the benefits were minimal at best, barring some very specific builds.

Eh, I suppose that's one way to look at it. Gaining access to an uber-feat isn't how I (and likely many others too) would want to have that problem fixed, though.

CubeKnight

First Post
I don't like Star Flesh. Powers are supposed to grant Power Bonuses, not Untyped Bonuses.

Edit: To be more clear on what I meant: I like the Power itself- sounds really cool and useful. However, I don't like that they are breaking their own rule of "Powers give Power Bonuses". If they are already like this, then it won't be long 'til we see Feats and Powers and Races and whathaveyou granting bonuses of whateveryouwanttocallit.

Last edited:

zoroaster100

First Post
Overall I really like the article. But I agree that feat is problematic. I don't like that it makes tieflings so much better at being warlocks than any other. But in any case it seems way overpowered for a feat. Just allowing a warlock to gain the benefits of another pact on all powers which provide such special pact benefits is alone worth a feat. Just providing the pact boon of another pact is worth a feat. The at-will bonus power is worth a feat by itself or may be even be too much for a feat by itself.

kaomera

Explorer
Good article overall. However it seems like errors keep creeping into the crunchy bits of these...

I agree that there's something wrong with the Feats. Sacrifice to Caiphon and Starfire Womb really should be once per day (at least), although Shadow’s Eclipse seems OK. I'm not fond of the only Paragon Tier feats listed being Tiefling-only, as I'd like to see some with more general use, but I can deal with that. However Twofold Pact should (AFAICT it probably is) be restricted for multi-classing, and Bael Turath Born really needs to be 8 + half level. Student of the Athanaeum probably needs some sort of limitation as well (Warlock Powers of level 19 or less?), but it might be balanced as in ~ I really haven't thought enough about Epic-level powers to say for sure.

The powers seem pretty cool. Fury of Gibbeth seems to be missing some sort of Sustain, or else just needs another editing pass, IMO. The damage on Far Realm Phantasm might be too low... One (odd?) thing that strikes me is that with these added powers the Starlock seems almost entirely focused on Charisma over Constitution...

DracoSuave

First Post
Eh, I suppose that's one way to look at it. Gaining access to an uber-feat isn't how I (and likely many others too) would want to have that problem fixed, though.

Oh the feats are good, don't get me wrong, but do they -really- overpower other multiclassing options? It's hard to say based on paper until the Optimized builds come out, but I will say this. The feats are -strong-. Do they make up for the damage bonus from Backstabber and Lethal Hunter?

Remove ads