Edwyd's Pie Parade Brigade! (A Short Vignette) [Judge: Bront] [CONCLUDED]

Wik

First Post
Galwynn returns CLudge's wink with a silent nod of his head, the sad smile still playing on his face. Just as the group leaves the building, he takes one look up at the sky and mutters "Why can't you be a normal goddess, and send angels or something? Your signs leave something to be desired."

As he steps out in the light, Galwynn squints. Carrying his claymore scabbard in one hand, he shields his eyesfrom the sun with the other, keeping a vigilant eye on his surroundings. When anyone gets within five feet of Galwynn, his sad smile widens just a little bit before he says "Keep on your path, citizen... This pie is for the lucky lady of Master Edwyrd. If you would like a close copy of it, carry on your path... Master Edwyrd's is just down the road."

Dice rolls, if needed:

Galwynn's Diplomacy Check (1d20+7=17)

Galwynn's Spot Check (1d20+1=20)

Galwynn's Sense Motive Check (1d20+5=24)

(Don't know if you need any of 'em... hope you do, because I *never* roll like this at home!)

Rathan

First Post
Rathan curls the pie as best he can within his arms to cradle it yet not squish it. This task may prove more awkward than anything, the pie and serving tray were unusual to him and was hard to carry and still keep a lookout. He would do his best though as it was a job and it was his time to shine. He only wondered one thing though, the master cook said he would be home and the cleric wondered how this was possible as they left before the cook did..... very strange indeed. Something didn't seem right here, but what was shaken off quickly as he concentrated again on the pie and it's route to Edwyn's home....

[sblock=Rae ArdGaoth] I'm not gonna make any rolls atm.. as I dunno what skills Rathan has that would help... if you'd like to roll for that's fine as well I'm sure it'd make dm'ing a little easier for you... barring that.... feel free to shout at me what rolls you would like done in the future :) [/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
As soon as the brigade leaves Edwyd's Victuals, the crowd presses close, nostrils flaring widely. The sound of sniffs and sighs fills the air, and a few people immediately walk into Edwyd's shop. Many others look at the dwarf's "sword-banner" and chuckle nervously. The dwarf succeeds marvelously in parting the crowd. The hungry citizens start a clap and follow the brigade down the road.

The first bit of the trail doesn't even come close to the Red Dragon Inn, but a few patrons exit that tavern and join the parade, serene smiles on their face. For the most part, the crowd gives the pie and its protectors a respectable distance, and they travel behind the pie. A group of children in ragamuffin clothes are dancing in the center of the crowd, swirling around in the strong scent and drawing some attention from smiling adults.

The march down this short stretch of road is uneventful. Then the group reaches Merchant's Avenue.

A crowd of people, at least the size of the one already following the pie, is waiting. The smell of Edwyd's creation draws noses first, then eyes, then feet. The parade now has at least a hundred people. A busking fiddler quickly sweeps up his money, throws his case in his pack, and joins the parade, providing music for the dancing children and drawing even more people.

Not more than a few steps onto Merchant's Ave...

[sblock=Spot check, DC:15]Between the legs of the adults, you catch a glimpse of tiny dirty feet and faces darting around. Some of the dancing children have broken away and are now eying the pie hungrily.[/sblock]

Rathan

First Post
Rathan, apprently too busy greeting those willing to venture close to the pie for a sniff doesn't notice anything in particular as a threat as he introduces himself to those offering a greeting and gives them the blessing of Hyrag in word as he holds the pie. The pie itself was cradled with great care by the priest and hoped nothing would go wrong, the trip was nearly half over. He hoped the rest of the venture would go off without a hitch.....

[sblock=OOC: Spot Check]Spot Check (1d20+3=5)[/sblock]

Wik

First Post
Galwynn notices the children moving quickly towards the pie and smiles to himself. How long had it been since he was just a pie-stealing orphan himself? Luckily Galwynn was good with kids.

"Kids incoming..." he muttered to Rathan, and, with his eyes, indicated the children's location. "I've got it".

Taking a few steps towards the children (but staying within five or ten feet of the pie) Galwynn makes eye contact and smiles widely. He was always better with children.

"Hello there, kids! I bet the pie smells nice, doesn't it? But it's not for you... it would spoil your dinner. But I bet you're hungry. Here's a few coins... why don't you go down to Master Edwyd's and order yourself some nice sweets?"

[Sblock]
OOC: Going to give 1 GP (in silver) to the children, as a bribe to keep 'em moving. Unless they do something crazy, like turn into Wereweasels and attack. Lemme know if they take the cash, so I can knock it off my charsheet. [/Sblock]

Rathan

First Post
"good eye Galwynn... and deep pockets too... you kids run along and get some sweets and some drink and let us get back to work.... Edwyns missus is probally wondering where her pie is riiiiight now and I've got to deliver it to her!" the always joyfull cleric says softly as he smiles brightly to the kids... hoping this would keep them from doing anything bad.... treat a young one with kindness and they usually reflect it back in good behaviour.... MOST times.... for now Rathan shifts the pie in case they DO try something.. yet tries to make it a slight a moment as possible to they take no offence...

Wik

First Post
Galwynn smiles at Rathan. "I used to be one of those kids myself... village orphan, instead of a city orphan, but you get the general idea. Don't mind passing a few coins their way."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The children quickly dart out of the crowd at the sight of money. There are four of them in all, they each grab a silver and then back away from Galwynn, bowing again and again, "Thank ye, sir, thank ye, thank ye, kind sir, thank ye." Galwynn suspects that they've been mistreated by adults giving them money before, because they seem especially frightened of him, more than they are of Cludge. Within a few seconds, they're all gone.

The parade moves on down the long market street, and the group considers the minor crisis avoided. As they pass merchants' stalls, they lose some citizens to the vendors but gain some as well. The crowd is now about 50 people large. It's clear that Edwyd's marketing campaign is working, because every single person, human and halfling, man and child, is overwhelmed for a moment by the scent of the pie. Cludge even notices, in between his shouts, that his vocal advertising is working as well: people comment to each other, things like, "Edwyd, did the dwarf say Edwyd? I've heard of him but I had no idea his food was so... divine! We simply must get a pie from him!"

The pie brigade has passed about 20 stalls now. The intersection between Allimon and Merchant's Avenue is visible ahead. Then the brigade notices that the children are back. Or at least... they look like the same children. Rathan recognizes one, a boy. There are five kids now, and they each go up to Galwynn holding out their hands. A quick look behind shows that the little dancing circle of children has dissolved and disappeared. One child, a girl with tangled hair and sad eyes, says, "Please, sir, please..."

Remove ads