D&D General "Effect as per the spell"

Reynard

Legend
This is just a brief little rant.

I was looking at the preview for a collection of magic items from a well known (but here unnamed) 3PP and found myself irritated by multiple instances of magic items having "effects per the spell [whatever]."

This is a peeve, I know, and not really something rational, but: just say what the thing does. Unless the thing actually casts the spell, don't refer to it. Just say what it does. "While wearing this armor, the first time the wearer would drop to 0 hp, they drop to 1 hp instead, or if the wearer is subjected to an effect that would kill it instantly without dealing damage, the effect is instead negated against the wearer. This ability recharges after a long rest." Ta da.

/end rant

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
One of the (many) things I really like about Shadowdark is that feature of the monsters section: everything is right there, even for the casters.
Hadn't heard of that one before. Looks like it's pretty old-school, at least aesthetically. How would you describe the mechanics?

Reynard

Legend
Hadn't heard of that one before. Looks like it's pretty old-school, at least aesthetically. How would you describe the mechanics?
It is very much 5E-lite intended for OSR style play. There are no skills, hit points are low, class abilities are limited, and XP comes from treasure and carousing. it has a couple innovative mechanics I like a lot -- primarily the way spell casting works -- and a couple I don't -- randomly determined advancement benefits, mostly. I have run it a few times at a con and it has gone over very well, and I am currently running a long term campaign to see if it has legs.

Reynard

Legend
Maybe they don't want to worry about the legality of copying the exact text of the spell if not from the SRD and they don't want to draft original language that could be interpreted differently?
It is lazy and it makes my life harder to use the thing, which means I am less likely to do so, which means I am not likely to buy future products from them.

Remove ads