D&D General "Effect as per the spell"

MarkB

Legend
In Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, there's a Mirror of the Full Moon in a tomb, the description of which is that it functions like an ordinary crystal ball. So then you go to the DMG and look up Crystal Ball, which states that it allows you to cast the scrying spell with a save DC of 17. So finally you go and find scrying in the PHB to see what the mirror lets you do.

Now, I don't expect an adventure to reprint an entire spell description, but was there any point in referring to the crystal ball? It could've just said "While touching this mirror you can cast the scrying spell with a save DC of 17" and have had basically the same word count.

aco175

Legend
I do not mind. Saves having arguments about something that is the same as a fireball, but not listed as the spell fireball. There is no need to explain the range, duration, casting time, effect, damage, etc...

Reynard

Legend
I do not mind. Saves having arguments about something that is the same as a fireball, but not listed as the spell fireball. There is no need to explain the range, duration, casting time, effect, damage, etc...
Activation: Action. Effect: 8d6 fire damage. Range 120 feet. Area: 20 ft radius. Save: Dex 15 (half).

Versus

This item allows the user to cast fireball as an action. The save DC is 15.

I'll take the not having to flip pages.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
There IS need. I don't know off the top of my head what any of those things are for Fireball. Even a spell as common and easy to remember as Fireball. I'd rather it was just on the page. It's not like you can't come up with a shorthand for it to save space. Space is wasted for all sorts of unnecessary things as it is.

EDIT: As the above post shows, beautifully.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Activation: Action. Effect: 8d6 fire damage. Range 120 feet. Area: 20 ft radius. Save: Dex 15 (half).

Versus

This item allows the user to cast fireball as an action. The save DC is 15.

I'll take the not having to flip pages.
Fair point, but the first write-up needs more words to indicate that it's a direct replication of the spell (thus triggering whatever interactions the spell itself triggers) as opposed to something different that's not a spell that just happens to do the same thing.

Relevant if you're dealing with things like spell immunity.

Reynard

Legend
Fair point, but the first write-up needs more words to indicate that it's a direct replication of the spell (thus triggering whatever interactions the spell itself triggers) as opposed to something different that's not a spell that just happens to do the same thing.

Relevant if you're dealing with things like spell immunity.
I think we can presume ground rules in the system. And maybe it isn't a spell. Is a necklace of fireballs a "spell"?

Remove ads