Eladrin, Tieflings, and Dragonborns

Aus_Snow

First Post
Any way you like? :p

Invariably in Pathfinder's favour? :D

OK, OK. Um. What inspires you to ask this, then - are you hoping to convert one to the other, for example? Or... are you interested in the relative power levels of races for some other reason, like say, winning an argument? :hmm:

VGmaster9

Explorer
Yeah in Pathfinder's favor. I do know that the Eladrin in 3.5 were a powerful celestial race while the Eladrin in 4e are just a new version of the grey elves.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Since Pathfinder doesn't share 4e's cosmology or design philosophy, I'd say if you like the 4e versions of Eladrin & Tiefling, you won't like the Pathfinder versions.

Tieflings have a presence in the Golarion setting, most notably in Hell-allied Cheliax, but they're treated very poorly by the citizenry in most cases.

Dragonborn, thankfully, don't exist in Pathfinder.

Eladrin are outsiders. If you're not plane-hopping or don't work them into an adventure as an NPC or opponent, you'll likely never encounter one.

Sorry, I'm not saying you can't convert material from one game to the other, but generally speaking, you're better off picking a horse and running with it. (IMO) You're going to come away dissatisfied if you try to shoehorn a 4e Eladrin into PF while trying to preserve 4e-style mechanics/powers. Your Eladrin is either going to be overpowered compared to the pc-eligible races, lack it's 4e feel, or fall short in some other fashion.

PF & 4e aren't choclate & peanut butter mixing together to make peanut-butter-cup goodness. They're designed to satisfy different gaming styles and tastes. If you're playing 4e, use your Eladrin, Tiefling, and Dragonborn as is. If you're playing PF, use the PF Tiefling, Eladrins aren't pc-races, and Dragonborns don't exist.

BriarMonkey

First Post
The basis for comparison is, well, vague at best. As has been mentioned, the two systems are too dissimilar to make a good comparison based on any real measure.

It would help to know what you are looking for as that may help to point in a different direction.

VGmaster9

Explorer
Since Pathfinder doesn't share 4e's cosmology or design philosophy, I'd say if you like the 4e versions of Eladrin & Tiefling, you won't like the Pathfinder versions.

Tieflings have a presence in the Golarion setting, most notably in Hell-allied Cheliax, but they're treated very poorly by the citizenry in most cases.

Dragonborn, thankfully, don't exist in Pathfinder.

Eladrin are outsiders. If you're not plane-hopping or don't work them into an adventure as an NPC or opponent, you'll likely never encounter one.

Sorry, I'm not saying you can't convert material from one game to the other, but generally speaking, you're better off picking a horse and running with it. (IMO) You're going to come away dissatisfied if you try to shoehorn a 4e Eladrin into PF while trying to preserve 4e-style mechanics/powers. Your Eladrin is either going to be overpowered compared to the pc-eligible races, lack it's 4e feel, or fall short in some other fashion.

PF & 4e aren't choclate & peanut butter mixing together to make peanut-butter-cup goodness. They're designed to satisfy different gaming styles and tastes. If you're playing 4e, use your Eladrin, Tiefling, and Dragonborn as is. If you're playing PF, use the PF Tiefling, Eladrins aren't pc-races, and Dragonborns don't exist.

I heard that Dragonborns exist as a template in 3.5, so that must be the same here.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I heard that Dragonborns exist as a template in 3.5, so that must be the same here.
The dragonborn are in the D&D v.3.5 sourcebook known as Races of the Dragon, which isn't part of the SRD. Therefore, dragonborn cannot exist in the Pathfinder RPG.

However, that doesn't have to stop you from buying a copy of Races of the Dragon and using it in your Pathfinder game. Here's the ToC for the book...

Races of the Dragon ToC

Mojo_Rat

First Post
eladrin as they exist in 4e are basically high elves. Pf elves fit them pretty well just no teleport. a slightlymore woodsy wisdom oriented elf would likely be needed fir normal elves.

neofax

First Post
Over on the Paizo forums in the Homebrew subforum, someone has already converted most of the 4E races to Pathfinder. I have a player in my Legacy of Fire campaign playing a Dragonborn Sorceror using this conversion. He is on par with other sorcerors I have played with in Pathfinder, so to me that is a fairly decent built conversion. However, as the others have said it feels completely different than a 4E Dragonborn. They just are truly not comparable.

Set

First Post
Given the First World ties of Golarion, a race kinda/sorta like the Eladrin (a more fey version of the elf) seems like a natural fit to the setting.

Dragonborn, not quite so much, although you could use the settings backstory itself to come up with a more thematically suited 'dragon-person' race, like so.

Remove ads