• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eldritch Blast and Spell Resistance

severed_ronin

First Post
In a campaign I'm currently involved in we have both a drow rogue and a human fighter-warlock. During the course of the campaign, our fighter-warlock went berserk and began attacking us. One of the key things he does is channel his Eldritch Blast into his greatsword via Hideous Blow and attack with it. I had a few questions regarding this in particular.

1. Complete Arcane states that Eldritch Blast IS subject to spell resistance. Is it still subject to the spell resistance even after its been channeled via Hideous Blow?
  2. When channeling Eldritch Blast through a weapon (such as the greatsword), is an attack of opportunity still present? Complete Arcane states that using an invocation is standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, so I figure there would be.
  3. What all could the Fighter/Warlock theoretically do in a single round? Channel Eldritch Blast into Hideous Blow, move, and attack? Or channel and fully attack with however many attacks he has?
Any help you guys are willing to give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your help.

radmod

First Post
Right now, I can't give you any answer to your questions. However, you might want to post this in the D&D Legacy section, not house rules threads. I'm under the impression not too many people view here.

Nebten

First Post
1. The damage part from Eldritch Blast is subject to SR. Weapon damage and other weapon properties are not.

2. Casting Hideous Blow will provoke an AoO, like all spell-like abilities.

3. Treat Hidous Blow like a touch spell. You can cast it, move then attack, but you cannot get a full round of attacks based off of BaB since spell-like abilities take a standard action to cast.

Walking Dad

First Post
You can combine Hideaos blow with the invocation that changes the damage to acid (among other things). That ignores SR.

Good luck with a warlock vs monsters with high SR or spell immunity that are also immune vs acid...

jefgorbach

First Post
1. yes, eldritch blast would remain subject to SR unless further modified because Hideous Blow states "the target is affected as if struck by your eldritch blast (including any eldritch essence applied to the blast)." where "An eldritch blast is subject to spell resistance" so essentially you're simply stacking the blast and melee attack damage on a successful hit.

2. the eldritch blast is being applied via the melee attack so would defer to those rules.

3. spell-like abilities (such as eldritch blast) need a standard action to use, so you could channel it into your weapon and move during one round then attack the next.

3. Treat Hidous Blow like a touch spell. You can cast it, move then attack, but you cannot get a full round of attacks based off of BaB since spell-like abilities take a standard action to cast.

:confused:

If the warlock casts Hideous Blow and then moves, does that mean that he won't actually attack until the next round? Or, is there a provision in the rules that allows a caster to cast a touch spell, then move, then attack, all in the same round?

Please, help clear this up for me.

Thanks.

:eek:

Sorry. I should have checked the SRD, first.

Touch Spells in Combat
Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.​

I'm assuming that "in the same round" applies to "take your move... between casting the spell and touching the target." Is that correct?

Last edited:

ERIN6

First Post
:)
smile.png

Remove ads