Eldritch Blast and the Arcane Initiate Feat

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
The Arcane Initiate Feat RAW says that you get the 1st level spell at it's lowest level. With 1st level spells and Cantrips that read 'When cast in a level x slot, the spell has a higher level effect', you only ever get the base effect with this feat. Question; In the case of spells and Cantrips that read 'When you are level x, the spell has a higher level effect.' Do you get the higher level effect with this feat? For example, if you have Eldritch Blast with this feat, and took the feat at 19th level, what would happen? I know it's rules lawyer-like but that's the question.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The Arcane Initiate Feat RAW says that you get the 1st level spell at it's lowest level. With 1st level spells and Cantrips that read 'When cast in a level x slot, the spell has a higher level effect', you only ever get the base effect with this feat. Question; In the case of spells and Cantrips that read 'When you are level x, the spell has a higher level effect.' Do you get the higher level effect with this feat? For example, if you have Eldritch Blast with this feat, and took the feat at 19th level, what would happen? I know it's rules lawyer-like but that's the question.

Yes, those are still cast in the same slot, they just have a scaling component outside that.

redCartel

First Post
Also note that the feat says "you know the spell." You get a special once per day spell slot that can only be used to cast that one spell as a 1st level spell, but you know the spell and can use other spell slots to cast it too.

Gavin O.

First Post
Also note that the feat says "you know the spell." You get a special once per day spell slot that can only be used to cast that one spell as a 1st level spell, but you know the spell and can use other spell slots to cast it too.

Wait what, has there been an errata about that? Because per the PHB I've got you don't learn the spell you select with Magic Initiate, you cast it using the feat.

redCartel

First Post
Actually I was only half-right, you can only cast the spell using your class level slots if you have a levels in the class. Bummer.

Volund

Explorer
For example, if you have Eldritch Blast with this feat, and took the feat at 19th level, what would happen?
I'm not sure if this is what you were asking, but what would happen is that you would shoot four Eldritch Blast bolts because you are a 19th level character and cantrips scale with character level. The "cast it at its lowest level" language only applies to the 1st level spell, and not the cantrips.

Remove ads