• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eldritch blast with sneak attack.

simwong

First Post
Well, i think accroding to PHB, Eldritch blast is able to use as Sneak attack when a Warlock multi-class into Rouge level at 3.

in order to use Sneak attack, i Choose Sneak of Shadows as my level 1 feat; second i choose Backstabber as my level 2 feat; and then at level 3, i purchase a Pact blade at 680G .

Then i will be able to use Eldrith blast as Basic range attack when i holding a Pact blade in my hand.

----------------------------------------------------

2630330074_cb45067fe1.jpg

2629509601_ee6fa14c07.jpg

2629509963_f8eb4a8c5f.jpg

2630329894_ed655fac22.jpg

Oompa

First Post
Well he qualifies for everything, and it doesnt really look broken..

And he still needs combat advantage..

Gloombunny

First Post
I really don't think that "counts as a ranged basic attack" means you use the rules for a normal ranged basic attack. Eldritch Blast doesn't become Dexterity vs AC or use [W]-based damage just because it's a ranged basic attack, either.

It's questionable whether weapons-that-count-as-implements can apply weapon-based properties to spells cast with them. In this case I'd go ahead and say why not, though. It's not abusive for a warlock[rogue] to actually get some use out of her sneak attack. (Carrying this idea too far can be abusive, though. Like with the daggermaster paragon path.)

Sarck

First Post
If I were DM, I'd just rule that he has to throw the dagger when he does it, but otherwise it certainly /sounds/ fine. Fluff-wise, it'd just be like the dagger's point having the Eldritch Blast riding on it, and thus the Eldritch Blast's energy becoming the blade that strikes, not the dagger itself. Actually, I think it's fine RAW just for the fact that is says if you make an attack using the dagger, you can sneak attack. The dagger is the implement. The power uses the implement. The power is an attack. So far I see an attack using the dagger. It doesn't even say ranged basic attack, or attack using dagger weapon damage. I don't see anything there that doesn't work with the rules.

Edit: Actually, to be entirely clear, it just says if you're using a dagger, and you make an attack, you can add sneak attack damage to that attack. It doesn't even say you have to attack with the dagger, just that you need to be using it. So I supposed someone wielding a longsword in one hand and a dagger in the other using the dagger as a shield with Two Weapon Defense would be able to sneak attack with the longsword, RAW-wise. However, I'd rule the attack has to use the dagger (though it doesn't have to be an attack made using the dagger weapon damage).

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Erm. Oh no?

One could just take warrior of the wild and do the same amount of damage with hunter's quarry and no requirement to have a pact blade.

I don't think you can actually do anything scary with your combo (like using eldritch blast as your weapon for a daily power that does x[W] damage).

Gloombunny

First Post
The power stat block for "ranged basic attack" is the normal ranged basic attack. Eldritch blast counting as a ranged basic attack does not mean it uses rules from that stat block. If it did, then Eldritch Blast would be Dexterity vs AC and do 1[W] + Dexterity damage, which doesn't even make sense because you can Eldritch Blast without a weapon to provide a [W].

Oompa

First Post
I stand corrected, it is not possible..

Eldritch blast say's "When an power allows you to make an ranged basic attack"

Sneak Attack is not an power but an class feature..

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads