• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eldritch blast with sneak attack.

N0Man

First Post
I first thought that using a Warlock power with a pact blade would work for sneak attack because you are essentially using a light blade implement. However after reading sneak attack again I see that it requires a weapon that is a light blade.

So RAW it does not work... however as a DM I could be persuaded house rule allow it...

Exactly.

I would consider allowing it as a DM, but I'm not sure. It's definitely not RAW, but at the same time it seems like it's not really a necessary limitation given that you can use the multiclass hunter's quarry. I suggested earlier reflavoring the quarry, but if a DM wants to allow a sneak attack to be used with the blast, that's his call, and wouldn't be totally out of line.

If a DM is on the fence whether or not to allow this benefit (as I am), they could consider requiring a feat or some other cost.

Atzilla

First Post
@Oompa
Posting it three times doesn't let it make more sense:
It's totally unimportant if eldritch blast is a ranged basic attack or not. The rogues deft strike (etc.) is not a basic attack either. But i think it is possible to use sneak attack with this power...

The Question is: Does a pact blade used as an implement also count as a weapon used. I'd say no...

Oompa

First Post
@Oompa
Posting it three times doesn't let it make more sense:
It's totally unimportant if eldritch blast is a ranged basic attack or not. The rogues deft strike (etc.) is not a basic attack either. But i think it is possible to use sneak attack with this power...

The Question is: Does a pact blade used as an implement also count as a weapon used. I'd say no...

The question was if he could use an warlock power to use with Sneak Attack, then it was if he could also use the pact blade for the same power..

I said, that you can't use the warlock power, cause sneak attack is an class feature, and not an power..

So the answer to the pact blade is not needed by then.. If he would rule he could use an warlock power as sneak attack, then i would say the pact blade is the same as an implement, but only in the form of an dagger, and thus follows the rules off all other implements..

Markn

First Post
FWIW, I sent an email to Customer Service about a week back clarifying if a Pact Blade being used as an implement for Warlock powers fulfills the light blade pre req for sneak attack. Their answer was - when it is being used as an implement, its an implement and thus no sneak attack.

Obryn

Hero
I'd say it's certainly not RAW. Odds are, if you need to pick and choose sections of 5 different parts of the rules, and everything still doesn't quite fit together... you're stretching.

On the other hand, I don't see it as game-breaking, and if a player spent this much time and effort on the character concept, I'd likely let it work.

-O

yu gnomi

Explorer
Oh Christ, not this thread again!!!!

I couldn't agree more. It seems as though every other week someone discovers the cheese that is possible when using rogue and/or daggermaster features, with warlock powers, via a pact blade.

It is highly questionable whether RAW allows any of it, and it certainly is not RAI.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads