Eldritch Glaive: too good?

Rystil Arden

First Post
brehobit said:
Well, the Fey skin feat is 1+1 per feat you have with fey blood as a prereq. So that gets you to +5 with the other 3 feats.

Humm, the Abyssal horror sounds pretty huge, but getting Confusion, Dimension Door, SNA V, Charm Monster, Deep Slumber and Disguise self (each 1/day) isn't too shabby.

Mark
Oh, you're right--I'm going to go give my lock 1 more DR!

Raspen

First Post
20th lvl warloc Eld Glaivex3 27-162 damage
20th lvl Wiz/Sor Poler Ray and Quick Vamp Touch 30-180 + Temp HP
20th lvl Fighter 7 Attacks (range will be diff per figher but will say 1d8+10 and add WS to hit) 77-126
20th lvl Monk ..........

you know what i realy dont what to figure out any more point is that everything deals about the same damage as far as broken goes i dont think its that bad off the only thing that makes it nice is DR dont aply to it 8)

hell take an incantrix lvl 20 doing a Polor ray sudden maxed and split and then (class sudden a quicken polor ray for 240+(20-120) with no save.

what where we talking about beeing broken agin?

Egres

First Post
Raspen said:
20th lvl warloc Eld Glaivex3 27-162 damage
20th lvl Wiz/Sor Poler Ray and Quick Vamp Touch 30-180 + Temp HP
20th lvl Fighter 7 Attacks (range will be diff per figher but will say 1d8+10 and add WS to hit) 77-126
20th lvl Monk ..........

you know what i realy dont what to figure out any more point is that everything deals about the same damage as far as broken goes i dont think its that bad off the only thing that makes it nice is DR dont aply to it 8)

hell take an incantrix lvl 20 doing a Polor ray sudden maxed and split and then (class sudden a quicken polor ray for 240+(20-120) with no save.

what where we talking about beeing broken agin?
The fact that there are other examples of brokeness doesn't mean that this particular invocation isn't broken, especially if compared to the other invocations.

Not to mention that the damage output of the fighter isn't comparable, since we are talking about touch attacks here.

Why didn't you compare the Warlock with the rogue?

Same bab, same hit die, and so on?

Finally,let me underline that I started the thread asking if it wasn't "too good", not "broken".

Last edited:

PallidPatience

First Post
Meh. Warlocks have to spend a feat to wear even medium armor (and two to not get spell failure in it). They don't get bonus feats. They only have d6 HD, and 3/4 BAB. Every round he spends doing this, he spends not doing things like Word of Changing, Tenacious Plague, Wall of Perilous Flame and the like. It's not so bad.

Raspen

First Post
Too good-Broken ? i wasnt attacking anything just showing that the classes can balance out.

as far as Rogue goes never felt a rogue was made for damage but if i was going to....3 attacks doing say... 1d6+5+(7d6+ Impeding attack -2str -2dex)+Crippling strike -2str + 2 more attacks at 11d6+5

lets see thats. 46-195 damage +6str damage and -2str -2dex penality only takes a Greater invs to get all sneak attacks and doing str damage every one well sometimes its easer to defeat people over killing them

still dont think that the glaive is too good

only thing that i would say about it is if you use Max spell like ability it might be a bit cheap

Egres

First Post
PallidPatience said:
Meh. Warlocks have to spend a feat to wear even medium armor (and two to not get spell failure in it).
Just like a rogue.

They don't get bonus feats.
Just like a rogue, if we don't consider the special features he can substitue with a feat. (I've never heard of a rogue taking feats with them however)

They only have d6 HD, and 3/4 BAB.
Just like a rogue, except his attacks are all touch attacks.

Every round he spends doing this, he spends not doing things like Word of Changing, Tenacious Plague, Wall of Perilous Flame and the like.
Every round a rogue is not attacking he's...fleeing?
as far as Rogue goes never felt a rogue was made for damage but if i was going to....3 attacks doing say... 1d6+5+(7d6+ Impeding attack -2str -2dex)+Crippling strike -2str + 2 more attacks at 11d6+5
Unfortunately rogue's attacks aren't touch attacks.

brehobit

Explorer
Actually, it has some interesting limitations I'd not noticed.

I believe:
* You have to cast defensively to use this (assume you are threatened, and you are). This means you are either burning a feat or you have a chance of failure until around 10th level, and that's assuming a 14 CON and no essence modifications to pull it above 1st level. Casting defensively will help of course.
* You have to use a full-round action. Not really _that_ big of a deal, but you can't use it for AoO unless you do that.

I think I'll allow the warlock in my game to take it as a lesser invocation.

Mark

Remove ads