Eldritch Glaive: too good?

Egres

First Post
brehobit said:
* You have to cast defensively to use this (assume you are threatened, and you are). This means you are either burning a feat or you have a chance of failure until around 10th level, and that's assuming a 14 CON and no essence modifications to pull it above 1st level. Casting defensively will help of course.
Why should I be threatened?

The glaive has reach, and I can invoke it and the make a 5 ft step.
* You have to use a full-round action. Not really _that_ big of a deal, but you can't use it for AoO unless you do that.
Why bother spending a full round action if I don't have multiple bab attacks?

Until 8th level I can simply blast from distance.

After 8th level, if you want to make multiple attacks you are forced to use a full round action, no matter if you are using EG or not: as you said, not really a big deal.

Last edited:

Raspen

First Post
after getting Hit with my warloc im useless for one round if i try to back away then i dont get to use my glaive the next round. if i stand thier and wait then thier is a good chance ill be hit agin.

my only real option is magic items ..... wands perhaps. and what if i dont have anything that works as a get out of jail free card? like all casters once hit ... hard to recover.

Warloc is a caster. and Range is a casters best friend

Egres

First Post
Raspen said:
after getting Hit with my warloc im useless for one round if i try to back away then i dont get to use my glaive the next round. if i stand thier and wait then thier is a good chance ill be hit agin.

my only real option is magic items ..... wands perhaps. and what if i dont have anything that works as a get out of jail free card? like all casters once hit ... hard to recover.

Warloc is a caster. and Range is a casters best friend
By your reasoning a rogue should never enter in melee, since he has even less options to defend himself than the warlock.

Just let me underline that with eldritch glaive you can fly over your opponent and attack him from 10ft height: if your opponent doesn't fly or doesn't have reach he can't full attack you.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Consider also that you don't get to use a magic weapon along with it, which would give a number of bonuses. A rogue could be using two weapon fighting (to deliver more attacks).

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

brehobit

Explorer
Egres said:
Why should I be threatened?

The glaive has reach, and I can invoke it and the make a 5 ft step.
Ah, I missed the reach part. That's the problem with going off of an on-line report of the ability...

Why bother spending a full round action if I don't have multiple bab attacks?
Until 8th level I can simply blast from distance.
After 8th level, if you want to make multiple attacks you are forced to use a full round action, no matter if you are using EG or not: as you said, not really a big deal.
Again, because you might want the AoO. Now that I see it has reach, I'd think that would come up even more often.

Also, having the ability be a "reach" weapon means you _can't_ use it when things are next to you, right? That could be painful when you can't take a 5' step away (or really don't want to).

Interesting. Probably over powered for a least invocation, but interesting. Still bothers me that whoever wrote that up thought that warlocks had a 1/2 BAB and no one noticed...

Mark

brehobit

Explorer
Blue said:
Consider also that you don't get to use a magic weapon along with it, which would give a number of bonuses. A rogue could be using two weapon fighting (to deliver more attacks).

Cheers,
=Blue(23)
Yeah, but touch attack wins all...

Mark

Remove ads