D&D General Eldritch Knight question

HorrorRogue

Villager
Hey

I was wondering what characters from movie/TV/video games/books would be considered an eldritch knight or closest to an Eldritch Knight?

Numerous characters from the Wheel of Time.

Rand after a little bit, and all the Ashaman and most male Forsaken.

I've seen a few in anime, though 'merely' supernaturally talented swordsmen are more common than explicit swordmages. But there's Giant Beasts of Ars's protagonist, Eris form Fairy Tale, Rising of the Shield Hero (sorta).

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
The Red Mage job from the Final Fantasy series is very much the eldritch knight archetype, with a touch of Bard/Cleric thrown in for good measure. In the original FF1, Red Wizard (the upgraded version of Red Mage) can wield all but the absolute best weapons, cast all but the strongest/most unique forms of both White and Black Magic, and has generally all-around good but not amazing stats. Essentially, they play second fiddle to all other jobs simultaneously.

Likewise, Clive from FFXVI is absolutely an eldritch knight, since he wears knight-like armor and fights with a greatsword, but also extensively uses eikon magic in combat (up to and including personally transforming into a fire kaiju.)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I'm not widely read in fantasy, but the first protagonist of which I'm aware that's a warrior (particularly a swordsman) who uses enchantments is Elric from the books by Michael Moorcock. I think he may have been inspired by the fairies and elves from Poul Anderson's books, particularly Imric from The Broken Sword who I believe is portrayed as both a warrior and an enchanter.

Eta: Actually, Skafloc, the protagonist of The Broken Sword, Imric's human fosterling, does a fair amount of spellcasting himself, if I recall correctly. Elric is in some ways an answer to Anderson's Skafloc, e.g. possessing the cursed/magical "sword of doom".

Last edited:

Remove ads