D&D General Eldritch Knight question

Numerous characters from the Wheel of Time.

Rand after a little bit, and all the Ashaman and most male Forsaken.
No. They are rather bladesingers. Or warlocks. Eldritch knight by far does not reflect the fighting/magic balance.

Voadam

Legend
No. They are rather bladesingers. Or warlocks. Eldritch knight by far does not reflect the fighting/magic balance.
The 5e one where you expect a plate mail fighter with a bit of limited spell casting might not be the best matchup, but the 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder one where they had arcane spell failure but BAB and spellcasting that were only a few levels behind dedicated solely warriors or solely spellcasters worked pretty well at matching them conceptually.

Voadam

Legend
5e eldritch knights are a lot like 1e rangers (who had heavy armor and minor full magic user and druid spellcasting at high levels), death knight types, and even paladins if you took away the divine aspect, heavy armor types with a bit of magic.

Everquest RPG comes to mind with their Shadow Knights. I presume these have a basis in Everquest Online, but I never played that.

The 5e one where you expect a plate mail fighter with a bit of limited spell casting might not be the best matchup, but the 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder one where they had arcane spell failure but BAB and spellcasting that were only a few levels behind dedicated solely warriors or solely spellcasters worked pretty well at matching them conceptually.
Ok. I was looking through the 5e lense.

... Isn't elric THE hexblade by excellence?
Whilst the hexblade was inspired by Elric, because it is bolted onto the warlock chassis it doesn't play much like Elric.

But as I said, there are lots of different ways to render fictional characters into D&D. In 1st edition Deities & Demigods he was a multiclassed fighter/MU. The elf class in Basic works fine for Elric (who is an early example of the our elves are different trope).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The Red Mage job from the Final Fantasy series is very much the eldritch knight archetype, with a touch of Bard/Cleric thrown in for good measure. In the original FF1, Red Wizard (the upgraded version of Red Mage) can wield all but the absolute best weapons, cast all but the strongest/most unique forms of both White and Black Magic, and has generally all-around good but not amazing stats. Essentially, they play second fiddle to all other jobs simultaneously.

Likewise, Clive from FFXVI is absolutely an eldritch knight, since he wears knight-like armor and fights with a greatsword, but also extensively uses eikon magic in combat (up to and including personally transforming into a fire kaiju.)
Cloud from FFVII, also fits, as he’s kinda assumed to be using battle magic materia.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
i think link actually fits the 5e eldritch knight quite well if you strip him of most of his items and focus on his sword, shield, bow and any innate magics, could throw in one of his instruments like the orcarnia of time or the wind waker, phantom hourglass's link with his three spirits that give him interchangeable magical buffs (a damage boosting fire sword, ranged sword beams or increased defence and a bigger magic shield) stand out to me as especially EK level magic.

i'm wondering if you were referring to the EK specifically or were asking about a more equally rounded magic warrior given how limited the EK's casting ability

Remove ads