• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Electronic / computer app die rollers

Do you allow mobile device / electronic die rolling apps at your game table?

collin

Explorer
Do you allow players to use electronic / smart phone / mobile app die rollers at your gaming table, and please comment if so, why, and if not, why not.
Thanks!

Len

Prodigal Member
Yes. Proper dice are best but we've sometimes used phone apps for convenience, e.g. when there are special dice (e.g. FFG Star Wars) or when someone has forgotten their dice.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I use Roll20 even for in-person games, so we roll the dice via the app. It's faster and I value speed over clattering sounds and watching people picking dice up off the floor.

Zio_the_dark

The dark one :)
At my table we use proper dices for the players but we use a tool to keep track of character sheets on a screen (it remove the burden for players to calculate or update their character stats during combat and for me it's easier to have everything I need at a glance). As a dm I make use of virtual dices for everything that does not need to be seen by players (faster that way) and we use a vtt to project maps on a tv screen.

aramis erak

Legend
Do you allow players to use electronic / smart phone / mobile app die rollers at your gaming table, and please comment if so, why, and if not, why not.
Thanks!
While I voted "no", a more correct answer is "conditional based upon game system and player disability"...
I'll allow it for L5R and FFG Star Wars - the app is $5, the dice are $15 per pack (and FFG star wars really needs 2 per player)...
If the player is dexterity or vision challenged (including prone to intentional misreads) I'll allow one that voices the result.

It's not that I don't trust die-rollers; it's that I don't trust players to not be distracted by the tech.

I'll happily allow HP, Casio, or TI calculators with random functions...

Remove ads