• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Electronic / computer app die rollers

Do you allow mobile device / electronic die rolling apps at your game table?

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
No reason not to allow one, but so far I have not had a player who’d have suggested it. I guess most players want to actually roll actual dice. I know I do. As a dm however, I do occasionally roll with computer rng, just to speed things up.

the Jester

Legend
No. Electronic devices are very distracting at the table, so using e-rollers has consequences in terms of increasing that distraction. Also, they aren't dice.

Maestrino

Explorer
I prefer actual dice. That said, if you have a player that can't math, or who likes to cast fireball but only has the one d6 and has to roll and roll and add and roll and add and roll and add and roll and add and roll and add and roll and add and roll and add every single time, then someone get that wizard a roller app!

The Monster

Explorer
I prefer physical dice, but I haven't run into problems the times people have used them. In fact, the last time I was playing at a table the person using an app rolled three or four critical failures in a row. So cheating wasn't the problem! To be honest, I'm not convinced apps are random the way dice are, but they've probably improved since I looked into it - not to mention I'm a little old-fashioned anyway.

Remove ads