• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Electronic resources - what do you want for D&D?

Right now WotC has a pretty well-working character builder (though I wish it could use inherent bonuses and filter out Dragon magazine chaff), and a rules compendium.

They're working on a Virtual Table so you can play online, and (I think) on a web-based Monster Builder.

I know at least one group is programming a 4e character sheet app for smart phones (and tablets? I don't recall), though apparently it's utility is limited by the license with WotC. It can track HP, but won't keep track of used powers or auto-calculate attacks and damage when you use a power.

I think there's a desire in the market for more hand-held and tablet apps or programs to help play and run the game. But I'm not sure if WotC is working on those.

Imagine if you could have your character on your smart phone. You can use the web Character Builder at a normal computer to make your character (or do it on the phone, though it'd be a bit cramped). Then you load a character onto your phone.

Normally it would display your name, basic defenses, HP, and conditions, but there'd be two menus -- Character (to see what you've got) and Combat (to track dombat). Toggling between the two would be a slider or something, and then each would have four or five buttons useful for different tasks.

In the character menu, you'd be able to see powers, feats, gear, various stats, and stuff like "adventure notes" to help you keep track of who Turliss the Baker is.

In combat, when the DM tells you to take damage, you tap the "HP" button and can mark damage, or add temp HP. There'd also be a "condition" button. And a "start turn" button (to remind you of everything that happens when you start your turn) and "end turn" button (to remind you to roll saves or even do the rolling on the device).

When you want to see your powers, you tap the "powers" button, which brings you to the character sheet, but adjusts some context-sensitive buttons and layout because now you need to see what you can do in combat, instead of just browsing. It pulls up a list of your powers, and you select the one you want to see. It shows it to you nice and big, with full details, and links to glossary terms (like if you need to remind yourself just how a conjuration differs from a summoning).

There'd be an option to "Use Power" and "Roll Dice." The first would mark the power used for ease of book-keeping, and the second option would make the appropriate attack roll and damage rolls for you (you could press it multiple times if you're making multiple attacks). You could sweep side to side to scroll through powers, or press a back button to see the master list.

And that's just the player app.

The GM app would let you log into WotC's server and gather a collection of monsters, traps, treasure, and non-mechanical stuff (maps, NPC notes, plot notes, etc.) and use each of those much the same way the player app tracks stuff for players. When Dungeon publishes an adventure, there'd be a pack you could download to have all the key components for the adventure handy on your device.

I think all of this would be awesome, but I only have my own opinion to judge by, so I wanted to ask what people are more interested in:

* Online play with a Virtual Table.

* Applications like those above to make Offline play more convenient.

Or, y'know, something else entirely.

Riastlin

First Post
For me personally, I'd like to see an item builder that can be exported to the CB so that as a DM, I can craft a unique item or artifact, give it to my players, and then their character sheet will update automatically.

Added to that, a trap builder that can be used with the VTT would be good too, though that is not as important as it really only becomes much of an issue if you are playing on the VTT in my experience.

Ktulu

First Post
Well, iPlay4e - play 4e Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) online! does work very well on an iPhone (re: any smartphone, really), and you can roll dice and damage quite easily with it. When you need to read a power, you click on the "?" and it pops up your login to the compendium and disploays the information when you put in your user/pass. I'd say it's pretty effective right now. In fact, I've got a player who uses his phone in place of his character sheet, entirely. Check it out, it's free and quite effective if you have a subscription to ddi.

As for what I'd like to see?

There's a freeware program called D&D4e combat tracker out there currently. It can import monster files from the monster builder and character files from the CB. It doesn't data mine, you have to manually move what you want for encounters. It tracks HP, recharges, conditions, initiative, and saves. -- I would KILL for WotC's online VT to handle that as well as the Combat Tracker does. If so, I'd use their table whether playing ON the VT or just at my table.

Also, honestly, I'd like to see them slowly phase out phsyical books almost all together. In years past, I'd be the only one buying books, and my players "might" buy the PH, or some book they found a cool PrC in, but with the ddi, each player in my group has their own subscription -- they don't buy any books. I'd even be cool with a higher monthly sub if they put ALL data online, not just the mechanical crunchy stuff. I'm likely going to buy the book if I have any use for it, so it stands to reason that making it available in some online form would make sense to me.

Other than that, I'm pretty much happy with what WotC's been doing. It's been a slow few months, but the VT has worked great for me in beta--the online monster tool looks better (but still lacks most functionality, so it's really only barely in a beta stage), and the online CB is so much preferred that I removed the other one almost instantly (though, admittedly, I'd like inherent bonuses back in, too).

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I second the suggestion of item and trap building tools. I'd also like a disease builder, curse builder, etc.

A DDI version of something like Masterplan is probably what I'd really like. If I had an all-in-one tool to help me build adventures as a Dungeon Master, especially if it were integrated with the Virtual Table, I'd be a happy camper. I'm quite happy with MapTool for my online games right now, but if I had full integration with all tools, that would be fantastic.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
To be honest, I'm pretty much covered by what's available currently. When I play, I've got the CB. When I DM, I have the Monster Builder (I'm fortunate enough to be in the beta for the online version) to create custom monsters and select pre-built threats and I have DnD4eCM for running the game at the table.

I'm not a smartphone user, nor do I own a tablet. Neither can do anything my laptop can't, and my laptop is plenty portable for my needs.

The only thing that comes to mind would be a WotC-built dungeon/outdoor mapper, as part of my DDi subscription. But I'm happy mapping by hand on graph paper when I need it for the time being.

Dausuul

Legend
I want the stuff they have now to work right. After that, I want it to be made more flexible and accommodating of house rules/custom campaigns.

That ought to keep them busy for a good while.

renau1g

First Post
I want house rule options for the current tools. The ability to add feats/abilities/items, etc. to a PC and not feel hamstrung by the CB.

Ktulu

First Post
I think houserule tools would be nice -- if only for making it a bit easier to integrate. I haven't had too many issues just using a simple .pdf power card image, though.

DangerAbe

First Post
I'm all for phone and tablet apps. Wizards also needs to sell PDFs of their books or at least of Dungeon and Dragon magazine that you can buy/download without a subscription to DDI though I supposed they don't do that because they're worried about piracy.

Remove ads