• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elemental Evil characters not allowed in Season 3?

CapnZapp

Legend
It isn't random. EE is the only storyline (so far) with substantial crunch of its own (the EE spells and races).

The point is to prevent people from mixing and matching the best from two separate sources of crunch. This way, the risk of inadvertently allowing a broken combo is minimized.

In effect, you're meant to take the PHB plus one (1) supplement and build your character from there.

This is why you can't be a Genasi Purple Dragon. It's not random, it's because that character would draw from more than one supplement: both EE Player's Companion and SCAG.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
They just announced that every story origin *except* Elemental Evil gets to use the Sword's Coast Adventurer's Guide.

No they didn't.

You can use the SCAG with the Elemental Evil origin. You just can't use both the SCAG and the EEPC together.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You CAN play a continuing character in AL; my Monk was created with Tyranny of Dragons. He has Season 1 adventures under his belt. I'm looking for a store or convention to play Season 2 (and now Season 3) adventures with him. I anticipate continuing to play him for several more years / Seasons.

What I think is supposed to be happening - but isn't yet - is that each Season you get to use PH + one other book / PDF for new character creation. However to date only EE has a sourcebook that is more than 1 page long.

I thought (based on known communication glitches between WotC and AL) that SCAG would not be allowed for use until Season 4; if it is/was opened up earlier then I can be pleasantly surprised.

P.S. If you create a character using PH only, it ill be valid to begin in ANY Season of AL.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I thought (based on known communication glitches between WotC and AL) that SCAG would not be allowed for use until Season 4; if it is/was opened up earlier then I can be pleasantly surprised.

The SCAG has been added as an evergreen rules source, available for any story origin. However, if that season has another substantive rules source (such as the EEPC) you choose only one to use.

All D&D AL characters now have one free rebuild, even at higher levels, to take advantage of this - even if they don't use any SCAG material.

The announcement is here: http://dndadventurersleague.org/the-sword-coast-adventurers-guide-and-you/
My article on rebuilding characters is here: http://merricb.com/2015/11/06/rebuilding-your-dd-adventurers-league-character/

Cheers!

darjr

I crit!
I think story origin is a fantastic idea. Used properly to fend of unintended rules consequences it'll pay dividends down the road in AL.

CapnZapp

Legend
All D&D AL characters now have one free rebuild, even at higher levels, to take advantage of this - even if they don't use any SCAG material.
You and the other AL advocates have all become wonderfully adept at talking like a lawyer, so let me throw a few normal-language ordinary-folk sentences out here and you can all discuss how true they are :)

"So, I can rebuild once at any level, despite being told I can't once I am past level 5?"

"I can rebuild even if I created a brand new Rage of Demons character that already uses some SCAG options? It doesn't say I'm excluded from the offer."

"So you can rebuild even if you have no intention of adding any SCAG material? This means the organisers must have found it not worth their while to restrict rebuilds to SCAG. It means they have sacrificed the rebuild restriction in order to not make the SCAG announcement too hard and complex to read"

"What does the two asteriskes ** mean at the end? Is there a footnote somewhere? To explain why I can't wait six months to rebuild, I mean?"

It isn't random. EE is the only storyline (so far) with substantial crunch of its own (the EE spells and races).
It's very random... If I sit at a table with a human level 3 purple dragon knight, and I'm a level 2 Fighter level 1 Ranger genesis and like his ability I can't learn it at level up... in game there is 0 reason, out of game the reason is 'because we say so'

it is very random...

Nothing currently 'breaks the game' but because something may at some future point maybe do so, we won't let you play a perfectly normal characters....

Scorpio616

First Post

The point is to prevent people from mixing and matching the best from two separate sources of crunch. This way, the risk of inadvertently allowing a broken combo is minimized.

In effect, you're meant to take the PHB plus one (1) supplement and build your character from there.

This is why you can't be a Genasi Purple Dragon. It's not random, it's because that character would draw from more than one supplement: both EE Player's Companion and SCAG.
Bingo. Splat combo's had to die and this is an efficient way to do it.

Remove ads