• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elements of Magic Comments

Victim

First Post
Haste was probably left out because there wasn't a place for it. However, it wouldn't be too hard to create a Temporal spell line, with Haste, Time Stop, and stuff that gives initiative bonuses, haste bonuses to things besides AC, and maybe an aging attack. Relics and rituals and MaoF (and R&R 2, which has essentially the same spell as in MaoF) provide enough spell effects to fill out the list.

r-kelleg

First Post
quite excellent book !

here are the thinkks that surprised me:

4 list/level seems to be alot. Of course, spells are less omnipotent than previously (about 12 charms [creature] instead of 2 in core books) but, each list represent 10 spells. so every level the wizzard add 40 spells to his spellbook. Isn't it too much (a core wizard, get 2 new spells per level, and a sorcerer gains a max of 3 !!!)

I was alos supprised wiht the new medium saving throw. not good not bad, but in the middle. I'm affraid this lead to strange thinks.

About multiclassing. Can a character be multiclass in Paladin and white mage ? how can we know the limits of his spellist ? (if any).
Could a mage be black and white multiclass (seems useless, but who knows)

Skills also surprised me. It seems that most of the divine spells and "identification" spells are now skills. What did you push you in this way ? Or in other words why didn't you make a Divine spellist ?? (before I try to make one)

I was also surprised with the lack of haste and time stuff... but I'm pretty sure that pple will make it soon :)

anyway that still a gooooood stuff

volcivar

First Post
More lists

In really enjoyed reading EoM, however some of my favorite spells seem to be missing. I have the following questions:

1. Will there be a web enhancement or follow-up product?

2. If yes to #1 what is the "ball park" time frame we should anticipate?

3. Is it ok for me to post lists on my website (for free) ?

Victim

First Post
In many cases, actually, each list represents 1 spell, or just a few. For example, 6 levels of your Evoke Force spell list are essentially the same as 1 Magic Missile spell. So that whole list might be 2 spells. The good old Fireball is 3 spells by itself too.

There also needs to be a Dimensional spell list. D-Anchor is really important when dealing with teleporting outsiders and people with the teleport list.

Wow, lots of questions. Let me take these one at a time. :)

First of all, I will admit, we should've waited an extra two or three months and released a book that could do everything. In fact, hopefully by February or March we will be releasing the accessory book that can do everything.

To Anon Dragon
A 'disintegration' effect is one of those things we forgot to add in. Mild mistake there; we double-checked to have lots of different elements, but we didn't always make sure to have opposing elements to everything. As a quick fix, I'd suggest 'Void' could equal disintegration.

To Victim
Another error. I'd have to check with CZ for the exact answer, but I think it just denies them their Dex bonus to AC.

Regarding Alter Reality, yes, I don't have my copy available right now (replying from work), but if you're right, then yes, it should say Alter Reality 6.

For abjure elements, it wouldn't be too hard to provide an option based on total amount resisted, instead of amount per round. I'd say something like 10 points at 1st level, 30 at 2nd, 60 at 3rd, 100 at 4th, 150 at 5th, and so on. That's, what, an arithmetic sequence? Algebraic sequence? *grin*

I don't quite see your point about having to change creatures. What do you mean?

Also, I don't have my copy available, so I don't quite know what you mean about the concentration DC. I'll check when I get back home.

Combination effects will be in the accessory book. If you've ever played the RPG Talislanta, they sidestep the problem of this complexity by saying that "ancient magic was able to combine different effects, but such knowledge has been lost, and current magic is limited to only single effects at a time." :)

To Volcivar
We did not actively choose not to include haste. Rather, we didn't have any time-based stuff in the book, and of the various spells seen in fantasy, speedy ones aren't the most common, so we kept it out in favor of other, more common types of magic.

However, we did consciously remove the restriction that you have to have an Intelligence score of 10 + spell level to cast spells of a particular level. If you want, you could play something of an idiot savant, with great magical powers but little brains, insight, or personality. So limiting spells per day of a given spell level by ability score could result in a character unable to use magic at all. :) However, since the system is meant to be flexible, if you want your setting to have spellcasters that are intelligent because that fits your setting's feel, then by all means, go for it.

Alternately, you could just say that no more than 1/2 of a characters MP can be used for a single spell level. Or perhaps say that a single spell list can be used no more than once per level per day (with a possible explanation that the spirits of magic grow angry if they are called upon too often).

I personally don't think you need to limit it, since even if you do cast 10 9th level spells to kill a demi-god dragon, you'll be out of luck when the dragon's kobold henchmen starts chasing after you with a pointy stick. :) If you want to add restrictions, I'd say to do them for flavor reasons, not balance.

To Phaedrus
I think letting people spontaneously cast a single spell would not be overpowering at all.

To animate dead, take Infuse Creature with Death, then Animate Object. If you want permanent undead, either go the mythical route and just have corpses be animated by uneasy spirits (without needing a mage to cast spells), or have a spellcaster Craft Wondrous Item to make a 'Corpse of Animating.' :) Note that this would technically make the creature a construct, but calling it undead for the purposes of 'Abjure Undead' would be perfectly fair. This is one thing that I do wish we had done more work on, since undead are pretty staple creatures.

Regarding outsider immunities, follow the guidelines in Abjure Element to have them have 1/2 resistance to related elements. Anyway, it's no fun fighting a monster that is totally immune to your magical attacks. Creatures should have elemental resistances for flavor reasons (a fire demon being immune to fire), but not just to make life difficult for adventurers.

To R-Kelleg
A multiclassed paladin white mage is very possible. You add their caster levels together. For purposes of spell lists they can learn, whenever they take a level of a particular class, they can only choose spell lists from that class. However, they can cast any spell list they know. So a paladin 10/white mage 1 could choose Evoke Area Force, something a paladin could not take. She could cast it just the same as any other spell, since the MP pool is shared between all spellcasting classes.

The Medium saving throw was first introduced in the Star Wars D20 version. I don't see why it'd be a problem.

Having divination spells be skills reflects that a lot of spellcasters in fantasy literature seem to have sort of a 'magic sense,' without having to cast spells.

And now I'm off work, so I must go.

netnomad

Explorer
First off: Great Book! I’m adding it my home brew as “High Magic”. Only most talented and “special” people can learn to cast these kinds of spells. This has been the magic system i haev been waiting for. Now I just have to finish reading it all. :)

I had some random ideas pop in my head:

Armor should not have an arcane spell failure but "somatic" spell failure. That seams to make so much more sense.

For spell lists you can combine the lists together on the fly but they due have a pentalty. They would cost 2.5x the normal casting cost and require a spell check that has a DC of 10+ the levels of both spells. If the PC fails the roll the spell does not fizzle but continues to the next round. The PC has to make the spell check again but gets a +2 to there spell check. If the PC rolls a 1 the spell fumbles and you have to roll on the Wild Spellcraft table.

Hmmm… I must think on this.

-NetNomad

MDSnowman

First Post
Also for the limiting option you can always use the psionic rules in R&R2 for an option. I think it was something along the lines of "if you use more than 3/4 or your power points you become fatigued" I'm not quoting exactly mostly because I cant remember though it may not be legal to do so

UoR11

First Post
I'm really liking the Elements so far. I'm starting to think of a semi-classless set up where all the characters would be similar to the Mage classes, with maybe some more choices of boons. About this February or March supplement, I'm guessing it's not a reprint, right? I can see there being a lot of room for expansion, both in adding spell lists and maybe having more differentiation between the various Evoke [Element] lists, depending on the element used.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Hola!

Between Real World time constraints, and the board being down when I try to get on, I haven't had time to reply here. I'm going to save the thread, however, and work up answers offline. As soon as possible, I'll work up and FAQ and errata list, and either post it here, or provide a link to a text document if it gets too long. I'm getting lots of good feedback in other threads and in email, too, so I've got a lot of stuff to work through. But I will get it to y'all asap.:)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Cyberzombie said:
As soon as possible, I'll work up and FAQ and errata list, and either post it here, or provide a link to a text document if it gets too long.

Why not just incorporate all this errata directly into the product? You can do like Monte and have a PDF patch available for anyone who bought it before, and people who buy it later will just get the version with the errata incorporated. I suggest this because, not having bought the product yet, EoM sounds top-notch, and I'd love to see it that much better by seemlessly integrating the errata into the finished work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads