Elephant in the room: rogue and fighter dailies.

Mercutio01

First Post
Actually it didn't once you got more material past the PHB1, but alas that gets left out of the argument all too often.

As well it should be left out. If the core books don't scratch the itch properly, why the heck would I shell out more money?

On topic - the dailies here don't bother me, because as someone said up-thread, they can be explained away pretty easily, just like advantage gives two dice-pick highest, the extra action thing is an extraordinary bit of effort.

slobster

Hero
The other issue of course, is that having all characters use the same ability platform unbalances them. Fighters not having usage limits vs. mages having use limits is how the D&D classes (including the playtest ones) are balanced. The only way to rebalance them would be to change them so all their abilities were of equal power.

What if you based one class's abilities almost entirely on daily usage, then made another class dependent on at-will type mundane abilities with only a few daily usage types? Then made the at-wills of the latter class comparatively more powerful whereas the dailies of the first example is where they get there punch?

That seems to be the way they are going in the playtest, and it's one example of how to balance classes that aren't based on exactly the same chassis, but both have dailies.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I have no problem with those abilities as written, they aren't daylies in 4e sense since they don't really add new abilities that can not be reproduced in any other way so I don't see what's all the fuss is about.

Warder

Ahnehnois

First Post
I have no problem with those abilities as written, they aren't daylies in 4e sense since they don't really add new abilities that can not be reproduced in any other way so I don't see what's all the fuss is about.
The issue is twofold. First, there are better ways of accomplishing the same thing. I'm dog tired at the moment, but after I have some time to think on it, I will post versions of the same fighter and rogue abilities that get across the same concept without the daily aspect or anything like it.

Second, it's a slippery slope. We had a small number of things in 3.5 that were not ideal, barbarian rage among them, and then without really telling us, WotC went off and designed an entire game based around them. So it's important for us to take this chance to avoid the same thing happening again. What does this fighter look like at 17th level?

Not a fan of these daily powers, not really keen on having luck so embedded in the system either as a real thing.

That said much of the system does look promising. In my own campaign i will be houseruling out of existence martial dailies, warlords, HD healing, etc.

variant

Adventurer
I think a power such as "You gain an extra action if you roll a critical hit (maximum 1 per round)." would be better than simply saying you get an extra action 2/day.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
What does this fighter look like at 17th level?

Gimli_at_the_siege_of_moria.jpg

:p

Warder

Remove ads